1946-49 Plymouth Transmission rebuild. Where to get parts

49-P15

I an rebuilding a 1949 Plymouth 3-speed manual transmission.  I would like to scare up a reverse idler gear and the mating low/reverse sliding gear and thrust washers for this transmission.  This transmission was used in most Mopars of the era.  There must be a ton of gears out there but I don't know how to locate them.  any ideas or sources?

I found some thrust washers yesterday.  But locating the gears is more difficult. 

I'm thinking that the gears that I have are in decent shape except for the beveled ramps which have been banged about somewhat.  Why couldn't I just kiss them with my dremel and clean them up a bit?  How critical are  those bevels since this is Reverse gear?

Is this harebrained? 

49-P15 

I've been told not to mess with the gear-teeth bevels since they are surface hardened and that surface should not be breached.  So, I'll use the best of the gears that I have.  They are not too bad but the purist in me would prefer new ones.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 1:27 PM, 49-P15 said:

I've been told not to mess with the gear-teeth bevels since they are surface hardened and that surface should not be breached.  So, I'll use the best of the gears that I have.  They are not too bad but the purist in me would prefer new ones.

They are hardened and also need to mesh flat with the other gear or it will make a lot of noise.  I will do my best to remember to check on a business card I have for a fella that sold me a new cluster gear for my 54 Special 3 speed. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

On 9/28/2021 at 12:27 PM, 49-P15 said:

Try Dennis Marordas     606 237 6648.   He had parts for my Buick.

Ben