Trim Level Height GS Ride and Handling vs. Stock Springs

izo369

Judging from factory photographs, the ride height is the same, the springs are just stiffer.

As stated by Ed, the handling package was not part of the Gran Sport option, It was a separate

option available for any 65 Riviera. That being said, if you change out the springs, the odds of the

car being the same height as before are not real good.......a lot of times with new aftermarket springs

the car sits too high. sometimes this goes away with time, sometimes not. If you change out the springs

DO NOT use springs made by Eaton Detroit Spring. If you do your car will sit higher than a 4 wheel drive

Bronco. The best springs I've found in regards to being the correct ride height when installed are Moog/TRW

coil springs. The bottom line is, if your car sits right at the correct height on all 4 corners, it is foolish to mess with the springs and risk ride height problems. Often getting springs that make

the car sit right requires changing them out several times......(Ask me how I know)

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I put on Coil Spring Specialty springs for my 63 that had a sway bar installed front and back. The rear end was raised 3/4” when the sway bar was installed. The sway bar from ADDCO WAS wrong so it was modified to fit.

I asked CSS to make coil springs for 1.5” lower in the rear and 1” lower in the front. I might say never having put in coil springs was hard. I called in a pro to help with the front coils. 
Bottom line I’m delighted with how the car sits. The new coils, Bilsteins, lower ball joints, rebuilt steering box, new rubber bushings  through out allows for a great ride. No magic carpet or feel like you are flying an airplane steering once the steering box was rebuilt. No loss of 63 GM power steering feel in the zRiviera. Just seems like it steers and rides like it is supposed to ride.

Turbinator

5F75FAAC-0842-4A7A-B0EE-384112E6D504.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks for all your replies. Have a collapsed spring up front that rides inch lower then the opposite side, so they need to be replaced. Was going to order GS springs from coil spring specialties with 1 inch raise in the rear and 1/4 inch drop in the front as looking for a forward rake along with Bilstein's all around. Had the car for 9 years and time to start replacing things. 

Riv Right.JPG

• Like 2

I purchased a 66  when i lived in Sacramento 1993, at the same time i already owned 

a 65   .

When i road tested  the 66  i thought it was a little  hard and stiff, only went around one block  testing it, 

but found out later that  it had been fitted with a set of GS  springs, that car although was nice condition i  could never  get used 

to the  stiffer  ride , and any time my wife used it , she  hatted it and refused to drive i t ,  so i sold it with in  about 3 months.

Stock  set up for me every time.

And my all stock 65 i owned for about 20 years.

001.JPG

• Like 3

Just changed the front coils and shocks on my 65 a few months back.  Used Moog stock coils and Monroe shocks.  I too had one collapsed coil.  It made a significant difference to how it drove.  Does not float like it used to.  Tires are 255/70/15’s (came with the car) and ground to bottom of wheel well is approximately 26 3/8 on the front and about 26 on the rear.  I expect the front will settle a bit over time.  

0E8CA87F-D79C-441D-9D0A-D73FBA9D52B0.jpeg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, izo369 said:

Do the GS springs have a lower trim level as compared to stock non gs springs?

Upgrading my 401 stock springs to the GS Ride and Handle.

Thank you  

Originally the GS H2 option resulted in a lower ride height as per factory statements...this has been confirmed by my experience with the actual cars. It is my impression that the Coil Spring Specialties replacement springs reproduce the lower ride height but best to pose your question to them. They should be able to use the wire diameter, # of coils and the free standing height to provide a calculated answer.

Tom Mooney

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 5:48 PM, Seafoam65 said:

DO NOT use springs made by Eaton Detroit Spring. If you do your car will sit higher than a 4 wheel drive

Bronco.

I have to disagree with you on this one.

I have brand new stock height Eaton Springs coil springs on all four corners of my 68 Riv and the ride height is just right, imo.

Not too high, not too low. It looks stock height compared to back in the day 68 Riv Photo_1632005827191.jpg.5897df3ddbd8e0d263c5c42c1a14de25.jpgpictures.

23 hours ago, izo369 said:

CSS said GS springs same ride height as non GS springs which didn't sound right to me. So I reached out to the forum for additional feedback. Cheers

I would imagine that you can have CSS make springs to your dimensions.  They'll make lowering springs so they should be able to custom make a spring to your ride and height requirements.  

On 9/23/2021 at 9:33 AM, 1965rivgs said:

They should be able to use the wire diameter, # of coils and the free standing height to provide a calculated answer.

Tom, when I talked them about my requirements they just asked some basic questions. The fellow on the phone said fine I’ll pull out the drawings of the springs and make them up for you. I could very well lived with what I had, I just did not like the car being so high in the rear. The springs were hard to put on. Tom T did not lash down one of the front springs. The spring flew out and mashed up Tom’s thumb. It was a mess. Tom had me do a field patch up of his thumb. He said his thumb was sore. I told him to lash the spring but he would not listen. He has been doing it for a long  time. Anyway, Gene says we are lunatics. Gene might have something.

Turbinator

• Haha 3

For a note.     I have NEVER lashed down front springs.  The problem was with the upper ball joint retainer nut.  Although it was only unthreaded two turns when the bottom ball joint was popped the threads on the upper nut shered off.  From now on I will use a cotter pin in the upper nut to keep it from shering the threads.

Tom T.

1 hour ago, telriv said:

The problem was with the upper ball joint retainer nut. 

Especially threaded hardware that comes in plain brown boxes. I had found offshore nuts so bad that they could be pushed over the threads. Or very rough across the threads. That quality is often found in "kits" when you get one big plain box filled with more plain boxes for your full rebuild needs. I first started seeing that quality in the early 1990's and it continues.

Ebay is a good source of higher quality old stock parts because you can see a picture of the parts and box. If I am ordering over the phone I will ask about the box and refuse the plain ones, well worth being choosy.

I have also asked a counter guy to physically touch a part before I agree to order it. On a next day shipment you'd be surprised how important that can be. When I ask they do it in good humor. They know why.

One last note: never throw away your original suspension nuts. They are probably better to use than the new ones.

17 hours ago, telriv said:

As far as I know these were original nuts.

On projects that I'm interested in having grade 8 hardware I buy from McMaster Carr. Yeah, they are expensive but they sure give you the full pedigree on the product they sell. Ive been delighted with everything Ive bought from McMaster Carr. There are probably as good or better suppliers out there and less expensive for the best hardware, I just haven't found them yet.

Turbinator

On 9/24/2021 at 12:14 PM, NC1968Riviera said:

I have to disagree with you on this one.

I have brand new stock height Eaton Springs coil springs on all four corners of my 68 Riv and the ride height is just right, imo.

Not too high, not too low. It looks stock height compared to back in the day 68 Riv Photo_1632005827191.jpg.5897df3ddbd8e0d263c5c42c1a14de25.jpgpictures.

Every time I see your car it looks good. Even when you go to King's Restaurant you have her looking super duper. 

Turbinator

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Reviving this thread.  

Does anyone know the Moog part number for 63 rear springs?  My car sits lower in in the left rear and I am thinking its time to replace both.  

Rock Auto shows Moog 5030,  but they also show the same spring for a wide variety of years and models running into the 80s.  Not sure thats right.  

5 hours ago, Zimm63 said:

Reviving this thread.  

Does anyone know the Moog part number for 63 rear springs?  My car sits lower in in the left rear and I am thinking its time to replace both.  

Rock Auto shows Moog 5030,  but they also show the same spring for a wide variety of years and models running into the 80s.  Not sure thats right.  

I used Coil Spring Specialties springs all the way around on my car. They just ask if you want standard springs or "GS" springs. They worked well.

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2022 at 3:58 PM, jframe said:

I used Coil Spring Specialties springs all the way around on my car. They just ask if you want standard springs or "GS" springs. They worked well.

How much were the new springs if you don't mind me asking? I checked their website but they dont list pricings. I'm looking for new coils at all 4 tires for my rebuild. More than one was broken, and a few had rubber helpers installed at some point in the past. 

On 6/22/2022 at 9:16 AM, Zimm63 said:

Reviving this thread.  

It`s typical for the aftermarket to show multiple applications for the same spring...but that does not mean that the springs are "wrong".   When GM parts was marketing replacement springs for the first gen Rivs, at some point the engineers substituted Electra springs for the original Riv springs. I know this because I have NOS springs with the correct GM paper part tag and part number for the Riviera, but there is a stamped part numbers in the springs themselves which comes back to the Electra part number. I believe the aftermarket mimicked the change at GM and that is why the typical aftermarket offerings, ie Moog, leave the car sitting too high in the rear and ride as stiff as a board.

Best to canvas the forum for real examples of experience with pictures and sources and make a determination that suites your needs. I suspect coil spring specialties or others are selling another spring that is typically available with a larger wire diameter, etc which creates a higher spring rate and calling it a "GS" spring.....but to be "correct" the substitute springs should make the ride height one inch lower than stock. But for all I know they may actually be manufacturing custom springs?

Hope this helps,

Tom Mooney