1928 D B Technical advice on Seats

trini

I like to get some advice  or feed back on using the original springs on the front seat ( not the back rest for the front seat )on my 1928 D B  Senior 4 door. This seat has to lifted up to access the battery and the tool box. It is heavy to say the least. I am thinking about replacing it with foam. After  92 years the springs are still good. The horse hair is in good condition. WHAT IS YOUR THOUGHT ON THIS?

I would like to hear from Ron Lawson because he has done one recently.

Harry   

Let’s see ride in comfort hour after hour or screw your back up with a foam seat, but you may be able to lift that light seat up easily 3 times a year, that is if your back isn’t hurting from driving all day.  If you need to go ahead and ask what I think of one of the foam seats that I have !

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Incydervine thank you, Can I contact you directly ? Or you contact me  through this forum ? I do not know how to do " P M "

I saved all the horse hair I could but they are breaking  up like fine dust, Too old.  My Phone # is 905 889 0621 , hsahu8034@gmail,com 

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

That is a novel, and possibly the best, material available for upholstering a car seat. My only apprehension is that it may be too springy for any real comfort🙄.

The one positive is, using roo hair, you'd get a jump on the competition when you have the car judged.  I think you'll be kicking yourself if you don't consider it......it's probably a great material down under your butt.....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Snyders Antique Auto parts, (Model A and T) got their start making seat spring. They should be able to make springs for you. They may even have the patterns, if not, paper pattern should work along with any other information you can give them.

Snyder's Antique Auto Parts - Model A Ford and Model T Ford Parts

Jack, I'm curious if the springs on a '23 are constructed similar to those on the '25.  It's one thing to replace coils and bend wire but I'm struggling with what to do about a rusted outer frame on the front seat back.  It's like a C-channel with a piece of dense, fiberboard-like material crimped in (that holds upholstery tacks, see circled area).  It bolts into the car with welded on tabs.  It's also very 3-dimensional (see the curves on upper corners)....  I would welcome any tips/work-arounds. 

image (5).jpg

image (6).jpg