Hazard lights 4 way--go fit them.

Wayne R

Thought i would bring this up ,as i have a 64 Electra Convertible ,and its  12 ft  from the rear bumper to steering wheel,

and i did not feel safe  without   factory hazard lights, car is so long---and i have fitted these to many other makes and models over the years  ,and feel alot safer  after fitting.---most were not factory fitted until approx 1966--67.

There is  always a few for sale on  line  at most times old  very good American  brands from the sixties and   they are priced from  about $50  to $150,   so easy to fit,---if you are a purist and  dont  want to because  it is not factory ,

and you  show your car,   no problem  just mount it hidden somewhere,----safety   comes first for me.

Fitting is very easy,  hazard lights come with  1, power-- wire, and 4  hook up wires, most have a  red  light  at front to show on and off.---You only require  2  hook up wires to be fitted ,to your classic , example on my  Electra ,one wire to  purple light switch wire--- the other to the green wire ,purple is for front    green is for rear---with the other  2 hook up wires just fold them up under dash.

Take the power wire from a battery source,---example cigarette lighter  wire is one,---but always  fit a inline fuse on that power wire ,  most times the hazard light comes with it already fitted.

Cover all   connections with tape ,and can be mounted anywhere.

P1100350.JPG

P1100351.JPG

P1100356.JPG

IMG_2095.jpg

Edited by Wayne R
Photo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

forty years ago i did 4way emergency flashers on my 52 buick by a simple rewire of the turn signals power. place a fused power wire to the flasher direct from a always hot terminal. (disconnect the stock turn signal flasher power wire from the ignition switch.) then hook a simple single switch between the left side and the right side. really simple on the 52 because the brake lights were separate. with that switch ‘on’ both left and right were hooked together. and with the turn signal lever placed in either left or right position… both turn indicators would flash together showing all front and rear turn signal lights were flashing… even if the ignition was off. 

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)

i haven’t done this second idea yet…MAYBE if your car doesn’t have separate brake lights you could do a similar effect on the rear brake lights with a switched fused power wire (from a ‘always on’ source) going to a flasher then to the stop light switch terminal going to  the turn signal switch…  (i should try this idea out to see if it works ok…) or just do the idea as posted by wayne R…

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)

Now you've you got me looking for a 4 way hazard switch .

I've got a 65 Electra and you're right, it's a long car for sure.

Think I'll be looking for a vintage hazard switch like you show in your photos at Hershey in a few weeks.

It would make for a safer drive.

Thanks for the wiring information too.

Bill

On 9/19/2021 at 8:20 PM, Wayne R said:

its  12 ft  from the rear bumper to steering wheel,

and i did not feel safe  without   factory hazard lights, car is so long---

I ain't getting this. Is the car parked in the street when you don't feel safe?

Or do you mean side marker lights that don't flash like a hazard light would?

33 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I ain't getting this. Is the car parked in the street when you don't feel safe?

Or do you mean side marker lights that don't flash like a hazard light would?

Hello 60flat,top--not sure i understand you,  but no i mean not as safe as a modern car, that is why  i fitted hazard lights,

not when parked on street,---but when driving--i can now use  hazard lights-- both rear and front signal lights flash when i need them,

Here they are called indicator lights or parking lights---,that is how they are connected on  my original photos.  hope that helps. regards.

Edited by Wayne R (see edit history)