For Sale: 1982 Buick Riviera Convertible - "Loaded, all original, Mint" - Fargo, MN - Not Mine - 10/1 Increased

6T-FinSeeker

For sale on Craigslist: 1982 Buick Riviera Convertible in Fargo, MN  -  $11,500  -  Call:  218 236 83 three nine

On 10/1, Seller increased price to $12,500

On 11/6, Seller reduced price to $11,900

Link to 11/6 relist: https://fargo.craigslist.org/cto/d/rothsay-buick-riviera-conv/1982 

Seller's Description:

1982 Buick Riviera Convertible

• odometer: 60,100
  • transmission: automatic
  • title status: clean

1982 Buick Riviera Conv, 60,100 actual miles, one prior owner, purchased new locally at Tim Corwin Buick,V8, loaded, all original, not driven in winter or rain mint condition, only 1,248 made, was over $ 25k new, $ 11,500 (no text or email) Phone only

image.png.d88d9961ac902a1a3a2b1ca563d9099f.png

image.png.f8e3db72b96125b4007480d981dc80b9.png

image.png.1bd45eb641a60e6c5305018a77f70806.png

image.png.349404efc10f3484f633c83d092b6391.png

image.png.0601bc0aadee89d7974372588a5771de.png

image.png.8b22ea0a593be1653492c9f91ab0749b.png

image.png.88c7444d8dde8f86bbca9f26cd049919.png

image.png.6fe7a28d1344d2ce4b47bd09112b9767.png

image.png.79985877f368a082154abb74d452bae0.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update price & status (see edit history)
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Beware of brittle, cracked, or missing bumper fillers.

Replacements are available, but this seller seems to

go out of his way to avoid showing most of the bumpers.

I don't suppose that he just "accidentally" excluded them.

It looks like they may have been replaced but the paint on them is extremely dull and looks like they may have not been professionally painted 

49 minutes ago, Y-JobFan said:

It looks like they may have been replaced but the paint on them is extremely dull and looks like they may have not been professionally painted.

From what I've seen, dullness indicates that they are

originals that are deteriorating.  I suspect the bumper fillers

on this car are in poor condition.  I hope the seller

isn't hiding anything else:  Already we've seen that

this car isn't "mint" as he describes.  Therefore, I

wouldn't buy it sight-unseen.  From the pictures he

provided, though, it looks like a very nice car.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

From what I've seen, dullness indicates that they are

originals that are deteriorating.  I suspect the bumper fillers

on this car are in poor condition.  I hope the seller

isn't hiding anything else:  Already we've seen that

this car isn't "mint" as he describes.  Therefore, I

wouldn't buy it sight-unseen.  From the pictures he

provided, though, it looks like a very nice car.

I agree that is normally the case, open up picture number 3 and zoom in on the, and you can see there are not cracks and the fit is not the best were it meets the fenders, I think  it has a set of bargain type fillers that they rattle canned and installed.  Regardless, new quality replacements will be in order 

I drove the 3 1/2 hours yesterday and did a very through review. Yep, new bumper fillers are in order, but very little rust underneath, it basically was a high 3 or a 4. All mechanicals checked out. This car is 1 of 150 total Riviera convertibles made in 1982 with the Oldsmobile V8 (307) in Red. I am getting an appraisal, but it looks like I bought it. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Eliishere said:

I drove the 3 1/2 hours yesterday and did a very through review. Yep, new bumper fillers are in order, but very little rust underneath, it basically was a high 3 or a 4. All mechanicals checked out. This car is 1 of 150 total Riviera convertibles made in 1982 with the Oldsmobile V8 (307) in Red. I am getting an appraisal, but it looks like I bought it. 

On 9/27, "Ellishere" said he will buy the car subject to an appraisal.  Please keep us posted! 

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1982 Buick Riviera Convertible - "Loaded, all original, Mint" - Fargo, MN - Not Mine - 9/27 Pending
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1982 Buick Riviera Convertible - "Loaded, all original, Mint" - Fargo, MN - Not Mine - 9/27 Pending - 10/1 Increased

Sorry Chaps, yes I passed on the Buick this morning and meant to update you. It appeared I was a little too excited about getting this Riviera.  The issue around the bumper fillers were a bigger headache then I imaged, nothing you did not already know, but the cost of getting them done right was contributing factor as well as installing a new “heater core” (which was described as a small job by the seller) and oh yea, the repair of the antenna motor also was another item and then finally a new set of tires, the current ones were at least 15 yrs old. So I decided to pass even after he was going to sell it to me for $10,500. I then realized….no, I want a car that I can enjoy, NOT work on…AND I need to just continue my 5 yr journey looking for the right boattail which is what I really want….

• Thanks 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1982 Buick Riviera Convertible - "Loaded, all original, Mint" - Fargo, MN - Not Mine - 10/1 Increased

Even with the items you describe, $10,500 is a very fair price.  the fillers are easy to do, get them painted and then it’s about half a day job to install them. Antenna another easy repair, heater core not a fun job but doable by a backyard mechanic. I end up replacing tires on almost anything i buy.  Even with the gist of the items mentioned you would still be in the car for less than you could flip it for.