Nylon cam gear

John McEwan

Does anyone have a nylon camshaft gear off and early Dodge 4 they would sell me? 

The usual suppliers are out of stock and I thought whilst I am having the cam re ground I might try and get one. Heard good things about them like quiet running etc. Any thought? I don’t want to run a fibre gear and currently have the steel one.

Edited by John McEwan (see edit history)

I will put up with the noise. It will not bother me. In the 1980's the manufacturers used something like plastic or something like that over the camshaft gears and some other gears to reduce rattles. The transport company I worked for  used these vans powered by these engines. All these engines had to be pulled apart and the gears replaced with steel ones. The joke is the replacement was readily available which tells me the manufacturers knew of the problem,  The plastic overlay were all cracked and falling apart.  And, off course, the timing went out. I will replace all gears and chain as a unit with steel . May be fiber ones can be an alternative. 

trini wrote: "All these engines had to be pulled apart and the gears replaced with steel ones."  I have an engine like that.  For about 20 years after I bought it, it had a miss at idle which I could never diagnose.  It turned out to be that the plastic had worn off the timing gear in one spot, so it failed to open one of the valves on a certain cylinder at idle.  At higher RPMs it ran OK.  I didn't figure it out until it finally jumped a tooth, quit running, and I had to disassemble and inspect it.