Quadrajet 1708 5212

Panheaddav

Hi, putting this on my 64 el camino, or was rebuilding it when i see this. hopefully there is a pic. It's been years since i rebuilt one of these, but don't recall ever seeing these plugged up. It came off a 89 motorhome with a 454 + th475 trans. Let me know please. Thanks

IMG_20210917_060646.jpg

IMG_20210917_061904.jpg

I had a quadrajet running  a 327 GM in a 68 Biscane. The best I have ever had. Be mind full of the inlet tube, sometimes get cross threaded when replacing the filter. Take care of the 2 jet needles with the springs. Nice to get a diagram. Watch out for the little gismo that may be installed to keep the engine at fast idle to run the AC., 

Blue Streak/Hygrade carb kits used to come with a chunk of non porous foam to fit in the depression where these main well fit to stop this leak. Veeerryyyy common!

Leaking well plugs were an issue with Quadrajets from 1965 through very early 1968; then fixed by the manufacturer.

Rochester devised the foam as a "patch" for the carbs in the sentence above.

It appears that Dr. Goodpliers (the evil twin of Mr. Goodwrench) has been working on the OP's carb.

Jon.

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, carbking said:

Leaking well plugs were an issue with Quadrajets from 1965 through very early 1968; then fixed by the manufacturer.

Rochester devised the foam as a "patch" for the carbs in the sentence above.

It appears that Dr. Goodpliers (the evil twin of Mr. Goodwrench) has been working on the OP's carb.

Jon.

^^^THIS! The Qjet well plugs have been blamed for everything from impotence to communism. As Jon correctly points out, the leaking plugs problem only applies to the early carbs that used the pressed-in sheet metal plugs. The later spun-in aluminum plugs don't leak, but every since Doug Roe and Cliff Ruggles wrote about them, everyone thinks they need to goop up their Qjet like this. To be honest, every one I've ever disassembled that had been treated to this epoxy bath has the epoxy peeling off from either fuel exposure or lack of surface prep anyway. It's kind of like TSA - it gives you the appearance of security.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1