1940 Buick engine and transmission removal

lhend50

Hi, I have the complete nose off of my 40 Buick Roadmaster coupe. I want to remove the motor and trans, as well as torque ball assembly as a unit. does the torque ball assembly separate by removing the bolts from the flange at the back and then the drive shaft slides out as engine comes forward. I know for a fact that the torque ball assembly needs new seals leaks very badly. I have one chipped tooth in the transmission, my understanding is that this transmission is specific to this year. Any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated. 

On 9/17/2021 at 8:26 AM, lhend50 said:

Hi, I have the complete nose off of my 40 Buick Roadmaster coupe. I want to remove the motor and trans, as well as torque ball assembly as a unit. does the torque ball assembly separate by removing the bolts from the flange at the back and then the drive shaft slides out as engine comes forward. I know for a fact that the torque ball assembly needs new seals leaks very badly. I have one chipped tooth in the transmission, my understanding is that this transmission is specific to this year. Any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated. 

Your correct the case for your trans is 1940 only. 1941-up are different where they bolt to the bellhousing. The 1941 front surface that mates to the bellhousing has an extension(flange) cast into the case at the bottom for a 1941 mount from trans to cross member. 1941-up will bolt in yours, but yours won't work '41up without mods for mounting. The gears have a long list of interchange application at least forward to newer years. They used a version of it until 1960 in Buick. Copies of Hollander Interchange is your best friend, as I've seen prices of gears for more than I sold those whole transmissions used. Try to find stuff close by as shipping is a burgeoning challenge currently! Good luck and U can private message if you don't like prices of some of the ebay&other suppliers.

• Like 1

Not sure if you have driven your Roadmaster coupe yet, but these are absolutely wonderful cars. I have a 1940 Roadmster 71C for some time and it is a mostly original car that had a cosmetic restoration in the 1960s. With a little over 50,000 miles from new ( engine never opened up)  , and Doug Seybold "Mr. 1940 Buick" giving it a serious "go over" to be correct mechanically it has been a really fun ride. Just be aware that these cars are very fast and you have no indication of how fast you may really be going - no sensation of speed ( even in a convertible with the top up, that doesn't even flap !) Wish you the very best with your car. Fair warning - the heaters work well - I have factory heaters under the front seat and on the inside of the firewall on the passenger side - they have two speeds - OFF and incinerate! Get hot enough to melt the zipper shut on your clothes 🙃.

Walt

1940Buickconvsedan001.jpg

Mine has no heater.  It was bought in Miami,  guess they figured it needed no heat. Motor was actually completely rebuilt 40 years ago. I put motor back in, got it running then sold the car. It sat for 35 years.  I bought it back, got it running but had a persistent miss. Discovered neither rocker is moving on cylinder 8. Think it is a cam issue.  I had a 40 convertible coupe,  40 series,  it cruised at turnpike speed easily, so this car should be much better.  Guy I sold car to, lost the hood,  got that from Doug. Honestly,  when this problem occurred I seriously thought about selling it.