Modern jack for a 1939 Buick Special?

etownster

Recently acquired a 1939 Buick Special. The car has a spare but no jack.  I've read the original jack with the two "ears" was not the the safest.

Can someone familiar with this model suggest an appropriate jack as well as the best placement spots for both front and rear?

Dan

39 Buick (2).jpg

• Like 2

Beautiful car!  If you mean what kind of jack to use in the shop, I would suggest that you get a good floor jack and a pair of jack stands.  They are not expensive from places like Harbor Freight.  The placement is really anywhere on the frame.  Under the differential is good for the rear.  Never on the bumper or the body, obviously.

As far as a replacement for a portable jack to carry in the car, I can't help you there.  I just carry a AAA membership, and hope I don't get a flat!

• Like 5

I saved the scissor jack from my 1989 Silverado when I junked it.  It's a good size and I have used it in the garage on a few occasions.  Alternatively, a modern hydraulic bottle jack would seem applicable.  When traveling I always bring a few short 2x4 and 4x4 blocks.  These can be used as wheel chocks and to provide firm foundation for a jack.  I try to use blocking to reduce the amount that I need the jack to extend in order to raise a wheel.  Once on the jack NEVER get under the car without a secondary jack stand or cribbing!

• Like 3

I just bought one of these scissor jacks for my 15 Buick Speedster.  You can find others for less, but this one includes the preferred ratchet handle that fits the metric hex operator.  I use it in the shop with an adapter for my cordless drill to speed up the process.  On the road the ratchet works well when it is close to the ground and limits the arc of operation.  These jacks are much smaller and  lighter than bottle jacks and will never leak hydraulic oil.  I will probably buy one or two more for my other Buicks.

Amiva 1.5 Ton Scissor Jack | eBay

6 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

I just bought one of these scissor jacks for my 15 Buick Speedster.

Except for the hex interface, that could be a clone for the Silverado jack I mentioned above.  If going the junkyard route, just be sure to also grab the associated jack handle/linkage/extensions.  My Silverado jack has a hook interface at the jack, but the handle extension pieces convert it to a hex with a similar ratchet handle.

• Like 1