How to ship fenders

Herby

I would go to a body shop and ask them if they have any large boxes that panels were shipped in. Then check with Greyhound on line as to their size requirements. They should be able to accommodate a fender I believe. Another option is Fastenal, however they usually require that the item be secured to a pallet. The last time I checked them, they were not accepting shipments to the western US.

• Like 3

I would second that suggestion; the box for an F250 or Ram fender might work really well. If nothing else they could work to show you how to engineer a box. Ask to see the person in charge of checking in parts. Trouble is they probably won't want to deal with setting it aside for you. A lot of plastic bumper covers come wrapped in thin foam sheets or bubble wrap and that can work, too, just loads of cushioning.

I have use Fastenal a few times ( quarter panels, rear step bumper and just recently a transmission.  It worked out perfect each time, but check their web site for more information... the transmission and bumper were strapped onto a pallet, the quarters were in a crate / pallet....

image.png.39da87c90ebc96caf878c56c6bd7d9c8.png

1 hour ago, g-g-g0 said:

Another option is Fastenal, however they usually require that the item be secured to a pallet. The last time I checked them, they were not accepting shipments to the western US.

• Like 1

Bus service is a good bet (approx 30% less than FedEx or USPS) Check websites for prep instruction. 

The inconvenience: you need to deliver your shipment to Bus Station offering service,  same approach for customer pickup.

It might require extra co-ordination between seller & buyer. 

I previously estimated to bus ship '36 Chev truck grille & all front sheet metal. Fortunately, it turned out all was local pickup. (Craig's)

A few years back, I purchased a lot of rare, expensive NOS parts for my current restoration ( fenders, trim, molding,  etc ) and since the parts were in southern NJ, I made a day trip out of it ( 10hrs ) plus I took my daughter along for the ride... just a thought.  🙂

Steve

image.png.865e290726c2d5a6ea53ccbac161b166.png

• Like 2

I use to ship lots of Model A sheet metal with Greyhound..worked out o.k...but you have to do the proper packing.

A friend bought 2 model A Ford front fenders years ago and they arrived wrapped so tight onto a wood pallet with that clear industrial shipping wrap stuff ,both fenders were almost  folded in half length wise over the tire wheel crown area. They were ruined.

On 9/15/2021 at 8:41 PM, Herby said:

Any advice on what container to use (or make) in order to safely ship a 1957 GM fender?

Why not change the title of your thread to:

“ Fender Transport Relay Needed “

List the specifics of how much room

you need along with the pick up and drop off zip codes.

Hershey Swap Meet & the holidays are

just around the corner - maybe someone

is headed your way with room to haul them.

Jim

• Like 1

The carpenter building the crate or picking it up yourself are the only safe options. Trust no one.

"I thought" are the two most dangerous words in the English language. (Just think of what happen right before you heard them last).

• Like 1