Cowl Numbers

Guest 455stage1

Guest 455stage1

70 Riv - <BR>Check out this Riviera page, with MANY links <A HREF="http://alpha.redeemer.on.ca/~cknowles/" TARGET=_blank>http://alpha.redeemer.on.ca/~cknowles/</A> <P>Somewhere, with a little surfing, you should not only find what you need, but also have a TON (sorry, no pun intended rolleyes.gif" border="0 ) of resources. <P>The 'EUC' is the manufacturing plant, and it should correspond to the VIN (7th digit). The '001762' is the <B>BODY</B> production number. I don't know about the Riviera body style, but Skylark/GS bodies were made by Fisher and this is the code that Fisher assigned to the body. For the 'A' bodies, it in no way, shape, or form resembles the last six of your VIN. <P>All cowl tags I've seen have the 'ST' - maybe it means standard production??? confused.gif" border="0 <P>Hope this in someway helps!

Hi<P>Can anyone tell me what the "ST" means as well as "EUC001762" in my cowl tag? <P>ST 70 49487 EUC001762 BDY TR 678 - B PNT 02B<P>Thanks rolleyes.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0

• 2 months later...

While 'EU' and 'H' do both indicate assembly plants, for some unknown reason, these two codes utilize different coding systems. That is, I don't know of a single example where they DO match. Baltimore is VIN: B, data: BAL, Kansas City MO is VIN: K, data: KAN (as close as I've seen). My '59 is VIN: 5, data BW.

Guest 70 Electra

As stated above, "ST" is merely the abbreviation for "Style"---that is, what body "style" the car is.<P>The "plant" code on the body tag refers to the Fisher body plant where the BODY was made--NOT the assembly plant where the car was assembled. <P>Most "Flint" Buicks had the bodies made at Fisher Plant #1 ("FL1") on Saginaw Street in Flint. This was the site of the infamous labor strikes of the late thirties that are credited with establishing the UAW in the auto industry. (Today, this is the site of GM's Great Lakes Technology Center). The cars were then ASSEMBLED at the Buick complex, which used the "H" code in the VIN.<P>Apparently Riviera bodies were an exception and had the bodies made at the Fisher Euclid plant ("EUC") and then were sent to the Buick vehicle plant (VIN code H)to be assembled along with the other Buicks. Unfortuately, I don't know where the Euclid plant was, but believe it was also in Flint. Perhaps some members from Flint (or other GM employees) may know.<P>There was also a Flint vehicle assembly plant for Chevy's that was across town from the Buick plant (today it builds trucks). The VIN code for this Flint plant is "F". This plant had its own Fisher body plant adjacent to it. It was called Fisher plant #2, and the body tag for these cars is marked "FL2". <P>Interestingly, I have seen a few early 1965 Flint-assembled Impala's that have "Euclid" bodies. Not sure why. <P>Note that in the 1987 timeframe, the GM G-bodies (Regal, Grand Prix, MonteCarlo) had their bodies built at Fisher Plant #1 in Flint, but were shipped to Pontiac Michigan for final (vehicle) assembly. This is because in this timeframe, the Buick vehicle plant in Flint had been converted to building front drive cars (yeeech!).<P>Hopefully, this answers more questions than it raises!!<P>[ 07-07-2001: Message edited by: 70 Electra ]<p>[ 07-07-2001: Message edited by: 70 Electra ]

Guest 455stage1

Great Information 70 Electra! xyxthumbs.gif That explains the FL1 instead of FLI. pfiade.gif <P>My old '68 GS was built in code 'B' and the cowl stated 'BAL'.<BR>My old '72 GS was built in code 'G' and the cowl stated 'FRA'.<P>According to this <A HREF="http://www.drelocation.com/ohio/cuyahogaco/euclid.htm" TARGET=_blank>WEBSITE</A>, the Euclid Fisher body plant resides in Ohio.

Marc: O-HI-O eh? It's interesting to findout where our cars came from. Nothing like a trip from OH, to CA, to TX, then back to CA in the case of mine. lol<P>What do you know that we don't about the emoicons? A thumbs up and hats off? How?<P>-S

Unsure as I can't map it or even web search to get it. But I thought there used to be a Euclid, CA. I ponder that because my '71 has a Fremont, CA plant code. Just pondering.<P>-S

Guest 70 Electra

Marc,<BR>I guess the "mystery" is where the Fisher Euclid plant is! I had been aware of the Euclid area near Cleveland and at one time had thought that was the location where EUC bodies were made. I also once heard info that made me think it may have been in the Detroit area.<P>More recently, an old timer (GM) had mentioned to me there was a third Fisher plant in Flint, in addition to the FL1 and FL2 plants mentioned above. This lead me to suppose it might have been the Euclid plant, but it is entirely supposition on my part.<P>It would be amazing, but not impossible, that bodies would be made in Cleveland and shipped all the way to Flint! <P>I wonder....Since the Riviera was an E-body, and very similar to the Toronado (from a body standpoint), maybe the Olds was built at the same Euclid Fisher plant? For that matter, what about the 67 Eldorado? Maybe the Olds or Caddy guys have some info to solve the Euclid mystery?

Guest 455stage1

Cyber - <BR>Check out this website - <A HREF="http://www.plauder-smilies.de/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.plauder-smilies.de/</A> <P>It contains many smilies you can use in your post. Copy the 'properties' of the icon and paste it in your post like you would any other image - <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre> a> - with no spaces</pre><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Greg - <BR>Cyber was eluding to a quote from Bugs Bunny - <BR><B>What's high in the middle, and round on both ends?</B><BR>O-HI-O Get It? (sorry, we sometimes digress nixweiss.gif )<P>According to this <A HREF="http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1960/cad69e.htm" TARGET=_blank>Website</A>, the Cadillacs were also made at the Fisher body plant in Euclid, Ohio<P>Hope this solves the big mystery cheering.gif