Determined Group of Auto Historians Is Building a Digital Doomsday Bunker for Classic Car Info

Laughing Coyote

Because it's there.

Wait, that's why they climb Mount Everest. I'm sure it applies here too.

"I saw it on the internet.  It must be right!"  But

the headline totally misleads and isn't the least accurate.

After reading the article, I see that all they're doing

is scanning literature in the highest resolution possible.

It's the work of the Automotive History Preservation Society.

The article says that paper items aren't long lasting,

and they want to preserve history.  They're doing what

our AACA Library is doing.  

There is no mention of "doom" other than the absurd

headline!  Some editor, less than honest, was trying for click-bait.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

If this type of preservation has already been in the process by AACA, the Society of Automotive Historians and perhaps some other one make, or multi make clubs then why didn't this fellow go to them to see what has been accomplished? Or did he? Never heard of him or his interest in the preservation and my membership number in the Society of Automotive Historians is #210 I was editor of their Newsletter ( which I later renamed a Journal) in 1978. , was a Director for 1982-1983 and Vice President 1984 - 1985. 

Perhaps it is a good cause and effort but is it more about personal publicity and recognition?  My own mind set is not about nor has it ever been about Public gratification of any deeds I did or effort I made about anything - I just do not like a lot of attention , to me it is all about the preservation and recognition of what did happen in the topic/field of automotive history on a very broad basis - from people to vehicles, to buildings that they were created in. worldwide, not just in the USA.  The articles I write to me are stories and I consider myself  a storyteller .

I still have that belief which is why I focus on trying to answer some stuff here for the great people who look at the forums.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great input as always. I can't help but wonder how much this guy will try to charge people to access his data. Same happened a while back when I referred a forum member with a question about moto meters to a well known collector. Instead of helping him he wanted to charge him for the info. Of course it's probably his right to do so, but like you said, helping each other us more important. 

Terry

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Walt G said:

If this type of preservation has already been in the process by AACA, the Society of Automotive Historians and perhaps some other one make, or multi make clubs then why didn't this fellow go to them to see what has been accomplished? Or did he? Never heard of him or his interest in the preservation and my membership number in the Society of Automotive Historians is #210 I was editor of their Newsletter ( which I later renamed a Journal) in 1978. , was a Director for 1982-1983 and Vice President 1984 - 1985. 

Perhaps it is a good cause and effort but is it more about personal publicity and recognition?  My own mind set is not about nor has it ever been about Public gratification of any deeds I did or effort I made about anything - I just do not like a lot of attention , to me it is all about the preservation and recognition of what did happen in the topic/field of automotive history on a very broad basis - from people to vehicles, to buildings that they were created in. worldwide, not just in the USA.  The articles I write to me are stories and I consider myself  a storyteller .

I still have that belief which is why I focus on trying to answer some stuff here for the great people who look at the forums.

Walt 👋

I consider myself a Storyteller as well … 👍

Every time the Cops pull me over …. 🚓

Jim

• Haha 3

Great! After a Doomsday event such as atomic bomb, biological attack, or word wide catastrophe, once I dig myself from the rubble the first thing I will look for is information on my antique cars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Admire the effort. Reading beyond the hype, I don’t see a downside here.  The result can only be good for the hobby.  Paper doesn’t last forever; maybe digits last longer.