Pre War Locksmith - and making a key for a 1928 Chrysler.

edinmass

My neighbor, who is ten thousand years old and who made his living as a locksmith for 60 years helped out a forum member and made a key for his pot metal ignition switch. See enclosed photo. 

Also, see the "key bible" book with about 600,000 key numbers and codes for just about everything you can imagine.....including aftermarket accessory trunks, tire locks, and more stuff that would make your head spin.

Also, see that set of keys on the huge ring.......thats a sample of EVERY key choice for a GM car from around 1910 to 1942.......interesting stuff!

IMG_3553 2.jpeg

IMG_3549.jpeg

IMG_3550.jpeg

IMG_3551.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Mark Huston said:

Great resource.  I hope he is around for another 10,000 years.   

He's a good guy. Very talented, and the "go to" guy in southern Florida for early locks. The ten other people in the company don't have five precent of his knowlage.........or talent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What is the best method of cutting a key today? I have a shelf with a half dozen 2 styles of Curtis cutters, extra parts for them and the code books collecting dust. Years ago at Hershey Curtis 14 cutters was the tool everyone used but not today. Back then I had many keys cut this way and never a problem.  I know they have grinders that seem to be popular and had one cut a few years ago for a 30 Cadillac but it went to the scrap bin. What is classed as a good cutting method today?

Ed what method did your friend use?

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

I use a Curtis 15 Clipper to cut GM and Ford keys. Different cutters, as the angle is different between them. I cut lots of GM B-10 series, you know , the one from 1935 to 1966. I also use it to do the A, B, C, keys that came later, as they are the same 6 cut design, just have one deeper cut available.

I have a Curtis duplicator to do newer GM keys, had to buy the depth and space keys to do it to code. Never liked just duplicating, but sometimes it is all I can do. I put a tiny shim under the used key if it is worn too much.

I have a locksmith acquaintance in the Corvair world who thinks my methods are "quaint", since they have new tools to use.😅 But I send code cut keys made on the Curtis Clipper all over the country with good reports. 

What Ed's friend has is years of experience. Hard to replace that. Like how to open a GM glove box lock without removing the decorative trim. I'm sure he knows all those tricks for locks made since cars began!😉

I like the picture of the jigglers in the front of that book!👍 

• Like 1

Good video but I had to look away when he sprayed lubricant into the lock. Having personally rekeyed by home's Schlage and other locks numerous times myself I'd add if the key doesn't turn like butter then it is simply not "cut" well. No amount of lubricant changes that. If you want to have trouble sleeping at night search for "bump key" or "lock bumping". I personally have Abloys which are un-pickable and will again use these on my next house or perhaps the newer magnetic locks - but I digress.

2 hours ago, JO BO said:

Anyone make me a set of keys for a 1959 Cadillac that were lost? 

Easy, just bring the car to the locksmith.

• Haha 2

They make a thing called a tow truck......😎

A locksmith with a mobile unit MIGHT be able to help, but usually the old guys stay in the shop........

• Like 1

Do NOT  let the locksmith destroy the fancy trim around the glove box lock to get inside it. Seen too many that were messed up by unknowing locksmiths.

I managed to find an old school locksmith in the San Bernardino area that cut a new key for my Pierce Arrow door lock.
I removed the handle and took it to him and he was able to find a black and cut a key for it.

His shop must have over a dozen boards with key blanks hanging on them.  Most of the keys on the boards are really old as you could see the age on the boards and the keys.

If you have any old GM keys you should try them in the trunk lock.  There were relatively few cut combinations back then and you might get lucky.

True story....

My mother, aunt, and cousin went to a Bingo game in the sixties in my aunt's '55 Buick.   When they left the game at the end of the evening, they accidentally drove off in another '55 Buick.  Turns out both cars used the same key.

6 hours ago, Harold said:

If you have any old GM keys you should try them in the trunk lock.  There were relatively few cut combinations back then and you might get lucky.

Relative few is 1500 cut combinations. But, wear on tumblers and the worn cuts on used keys makes it possible for this to work. I call it the wiggle jiggle method. Do not just inset the key and turn it. Wiggle and jiggle the key as you put it in and out of the lock. This is my method to remove ignition locks I do not have a key for. The B-10 (octagonal) and B-11 (pear) are the same keyway so they can both be used for this trick. Ask your friends to end you their spare keys, or keys they do not need anymore.

Our family story is my grandmother got into dad's '40 Chevy one day downtown and stated to drive away when she saw dad's car in the rear view mirror. The giveaway? No 22 rifle on the package tray! Yep back then.......

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

A locksmith shop in my town celebrated 100 years in business in 2020.  I took them this switch, and they were able to make up a pair of keys from the numbers.  Impressed the heck out of me.

186D5AF9-F4BB-4051-ACCC-2F46E0E4DC48.jpeg

19 hours ago, Max4Me said:

Zepher,

Do you still have the name/location of the locksmith? I live in the San Berdoo area and would love to see if he could make a key for the transmission lock on my 1925 Maxwell.

Let me see if I can find him again.

I had the key for my Pierce done almost 10 years ago so I hope he's still around, post lockdown.

This locksmith is in the same location, but I do not remember if this was the same name.

You could always call them and ask.

https://jackskeyservices247.com/

Edited by zepher (see edit history)

zephyr,

Many thanks for getting back to me with the locksmith info. I was able to contact them. I think the office staff thought I was joking or crazy.  Nevertheless, they took my info and I am now waiting for their "technician" to get back  to me. 🤞

Update:

Tech called me back and asked for pix, which I sent.  He was very nice and willing to at least take a look at the car.  I'm pretty slammed with my daughter's wedding in  2 weeks so it may have to wait until after that. Thanks again for sharing the info on this locksmith, and for your efforts to get me his contact info! Much appreciated.

Edited by Max4Me
updated info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 3:37 PM, Max4Me said:

zephyr,

Many thanks for getting back to me with the locksmith info. I was able to contact them. I think the office staff thought I was joking or crazy.  Nevertheless, they took my info and I am now waiting for their "technician" to get back  to me. 🤞

Update:

Tech called me back and asked for pix, which I sent.  He was very nice and willing to at least take a look at the car.  I'm pretty slammed with my daughter's wedding in  2 weeks so it may have to wait until after that. Thanks again for sharing the info on this locksmith, and for your efforts to get me his contact info! Much appreciated.

Hopefully they can help you out and get you the key you need.

When I had them do mine, I took the handle and the lock to the small building off Orange Show and that is where the real old guy was that made the key for me.

He was surprised to see a handle that old but he found a blank and the key works great.