Hudson Pick Up on F/B Andover, OH $20,000

To begin with, I know that $20,000 is a lot of money for an old pick up, but these Hudson's seem to be commanding high prices. It has a single carb Hornet 308 engine with a Hydramatic in it, a '42 front end, which in my opinion is prettier than the stock '46, and looks well built from the pics. Take a look:

Marketplace - 1946 Hudson Series 58 Pickup Truck | Facebook

May be an image of car and outdoors

I should add that there is always the possibility that it really is a '42 which someone is selling with a '46 title, which would be unfortunate.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

20 G is a very good buy.  When I bought mine it wasn't alot less than that and it needed and still really needs a bunch.  I like the trim better on this than the stock 47 trim on mine.  Also like the interior better.  I ought to buy it and sell mine. Any takers. ;) 

IMG_6138.JPG

• Like 1

The fenders are actually gray.  The lighting in this one shot makes them look purplish now that you mention it.  In some photos they almost look the same as the body color. 

I agree on the early grille.  I like it alot more,  hence the reason I wouldn't mind the truck above. 

• Like 1

I have a 49 Super six with the twin carb set up off a 54 wasp from what I can figure out by the numbers.  From paperwork in the glove box.  Engine was rebuilt and bored 20 over. It has a 69 Ford 9 inch rear with 3.0 gears.  Goes nice down the road.  

Today was the first time the wife road in it (we went down to the rod show in town) and she was surprised when I ran it through the gears how much Torque it has and how fast it goes down the road as she figured it looks like a slow old truck. 

The only thing I don't like about the one above is the automatic.  Mine is a 3 speed.  Even the throw on my 3 speed column shift seems really short.  Atleast half the throw of my 51 Dodge I had.   

• Like 1

I want to mention that I'm open to offers on the Hudson Overdrive Transmission. I've sold them in the past for something in the four hundred dollar range. The thing about them is while there aren't that hard to find, finding one with all of the peripherals (switches, relays, cables and such) can be really time consuming and add up dollarwise. They can be shipped UPS as the weigh under 150 lbs. I have one other, but it doesn't have all of the accessories. If you don't need all of that, I can sell you one for under two hundred.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've been in contact with the seller.  A fellow member got me a great set of photos and video. Very similar condition wise to my truck( It looks better in the photos here than it is) except the fresh mechanics on my truck. This one needs brakes and tires plus some other tinkering.  All fresh on mine. 

I've been agonizing over buying it.  made the decision and called him this morning I would take it ,  but he said had a guy coming from MI to look at it.  That guy didn't take it,  got a call back this afternoon and he left a message with my wife it was still available.  I called him tonight and now he has a guy coming tomorrow morning so he's going to make me wait and see if he takes it before offering it to me.  So I'm really on the fence now and ready to just say screw it.  

Feels like I'm getting jerked around a bit.  Almost leery of sending a check (his choice) What if someone shows up while check is in transit?   Maybe something is telling me to not buy it.  Besides right now 4 different people have looked at it and walked away.  One from 3-4 hours away. 

• Like 1

My two bits, for what its worth, would be to keep your current truck which is a known quantity.  Then, seek out a 1942 Hudson parts car or the frontal trim.  Install a 308 and Hydra-Matic if that's what you prefer and do the same to the interior.  All easily reversible to its original configuration at some point.

It's alot of good parts you would need to convert the nose and most are Chrome not stainless steel.  A couple thousand on an interior, I'm fine with my drivetrain so not a biggy there but mine has paint issues as does this one.  I was thinking if i could swap mine for this one basically I would be ahead for what I wanted.  I wouldn't have agonized as much as I did if the body was better or if the paint was better.  but they are pretty close overall so it's like going from a 6 to a 6.5 on a scale of 1 to 10 but maybe in a little better style. 

No call back tonight.  It must have sold,  or he doesn't want to sell it to me (somebody long distance.)  I heard some hesitation in his comments when I mentioned payment and having it picked up.  He was hoping for someone to show up with 20G in cash,   but that isn't as common as it once was.  Most people still want to use a check or wire transfer.  So really no different.