WTB Chrysler Lockheed wheel cylinder 1927

Flivverking

Wanted to buy ,in rebuildable condition ,one or set of 4 hydraulic wheel cylinders used with outside band "contracting" brakes as used on the Chryslers 70 of 1927.

Possibly 1925-1926 also.

I do not know if the early model 60s are the same and I believe in 1928 that at least Chrysler went to drum brakes mostly.

Other brands used the same outside band lockheed brake system like the Kissel and a few others that maybe the same hydraulicly.

Cylinder bore is 1-1/4" and there is an internal stop inside .

Mounting holes center to center about 1-15/16" 

The banjo fittings may vary slightly from make to make and to year year..

0629201710.jpg

Hi Flivverking,

Looking in the parts manual the G70 series Chrysler used 5 different part numbers for wheel cylinders. The serial number of your car PR069P leaves two different part numbers 71455 and 71456. The number 71456 says with plug, which I assume is the allan screw plug, seen in one of your pictures.

Some of the cylinder numbers used on the later G70's series were also used on series 60, and on series 62 and 72, so it will need research to find the correct ones for your car. Please clean your wheel cylinders and master cylinder and see if these numbers are cast into the cylinders. 

The 4 cylinder models and imperials have totally different part numbers.

Chrysler used external contracting brakes in 1928 cars, I think they went onto internal expanding brakes in 1929.

I have looked at my early series G70 and can confirm the brake cylinders for 1925 B70 and early G70 series cars will not work for your car, they are totally different.

Looking at the pictures of the Kissel brakes, I don't think those cylinders of Ron's will work on your car, they appear to mount differently.

You advertised for one or four cylinders? have you lost or broken one cylinder? or are they all missing??

Regards

Viv.

Edited by viv w
update (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Ron Hausmann and ViV W for the thoughtful replies.

First off, I was looking one or four cylinders , I the event someone has just one to sell ,but I'm looking for 4..

The reason for the cylinder need  is I'm starting from scratch ,(more or less )after having my original wheel cylinders sleeved and the job done incorrectly and have been nothing but a leaking mess one cylinder at a time.I've returned 2 for repair and when a 3rd one went during bleeding..I said f $%==%%#!!$=€_k these A-h )o( les.

So I moved on from that rebuilder 

One additional huge error was the rebuilder removed the internal bore piston/cup stops,claiming it's an upgrade to go to the internal spring design and that the brakes will work the same..Not so. If they work  It's just be pure luck.

The rebuilder(Apple Hydraulics) did not return these inner bore stop parts..they were tossed in trash ,so in order to return my original( or next set )of wheel cylinders to their original proper design when they get sent to a qualified rebuilder ,I need the inner stops..

I did recently aquired a box lot of 5 crusty wheel cylinders( all casting number 70928 -( varing last one digit).

Supposedly complete.. 

Only 3 frozen original unrestored cylinders yielded the internal stops..One cylinder was disassembled with the stop gone and one cylinder had a regular spring and different pistons for some other application but used the same 70928 casting.

So at present, I need at a minimum one internal cylinder bore stop set.

Without to much detail, these inner piston stops original intention is to keep the brake band ,return springs and reversing direction bell cranks from pushing the piston and seal cups  too far into the cylinder and into the fluid feed hole area and keeps the piston travel basically even. 

1007211820a.jpg

• 2 months later...

I also need one Lockheed cylinder for 1926 Velie. I can't check the dimensions right now, but I remember that the diameter was same, 1-1/4". I checked Chrysler cylinder, but it was smaller (probably 1"), I think that it was smaller 60s Chrysler.  I think that my cylinder is identical with above Flivverking's photo 

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys.

Its a little late but I'm wondering if any of you know where I can get a set of the stops? My neighbor had the local brake "expert" resleave the wheel cylinders on his 28 Peerless and they eliminated the stops.

We've been trying to bleed the brakes but it's impossible because the cups keep moving past the center of the cylinder.

Any thoughts?

The rebuilder mentioned above making a mess of the units……..I agree and concur. Too many horror stories over the years. Now I just rebuild my own shocks and hydraulic components. At least everything works when I am finished.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1