Accu drive/ balanced braking

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

Does anyone know exactly what the Accu-drive is on the early 70s Buicks? I know it is supposed to be a stability system. I saw it on a ad for a 71 Buick and was wondering exactly what made it work. Was also wondering about the balanced braking the ad was talking about. Was also wondering, how do you know if your car has the option "Max-trac"? Thanks.

The easiest way to tell if you have max trac is to look for a switch on the dash to turn it on and off. In '71 it was available only on the Riviera.

According to Buick's 1971 brochure, "MaxTrac, a Buick exclusive, is available on the 1971 Riviera. It will be available at a somewhat later date on all Buick upper series models." In addition, I have a 1971 Centurion order form that shows MaxTrac as an available option. I have seen MaxTrac on '71 Rivieras, but am curious whether anyone has seen it on LeSabres, Centurions, Electra 225's or Estate Wagons for '71.<P>The 1971 brochure describes AccuDrive as an improved version of "Buick's exclusive all-road condition directional stability system. Buick introduced AccuDrive in 1969. It afforded Buick drivers an unheard of degree of handling ease and responsiveness. Now, Buick engineers have developed a major new refinement in AccuDrive suspension that gives an almost unbelievable degree of new handling ease and responsiveness for 1971. . . The major improvement in 1971 on these models is that the steering gear and linkage have been moved ahead of the front wheels. This arrangement greatly improves directional stability and provides unsurpassed handling ease and response". A salesman at Huling Buick in Eugene, Oregon in the fall of 1970 explained it to my parents and me as follows: "When you enter a driveway or hit a bump at an angle, the Buick front suspension prevents the front wheels from changing direction. The car continues exactly where you aimed it, rather than forcing you to make steering corrections to compensate for the bump." Who knows how significant AccuDrive was as a technical achievement, but the improvement in handling from our '65 Wildcat coupe to our '71 Centurion coupe was quite remarkable.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks for the info. My Buick is a 1972 Electra, but I have seen on the 1971 Buick Brochure and ads about this Max-trac, and was wondering exactly what it was. I really could not make much sense out of it in the brochure. I will be receiving my 72 Buick sales brochure. Maybe I can figure something out of it. Thanks.

MaxTrac consisted of an on-board computer that monitored rear wheel spin, then cut ignition to eliminate or minimize the spin. Although not a popular option, MaxTrac was really a forerunner of today's modern electronic traction control systems. In fact, I noticed that descriptions of the Mercedes-Benz system in advertisements of recent years sound very much like Buick's MaxTrac from the early '70's.

So the Accu drive system reduces bump-steer. My Riv is no corner carver but I have read test reviews from when it was new and the critics thought that it handled good. I would hate to see what they considered bad handling.<P>Tomsriv<BR>71 Riviera