Aussies

nearchoclatetown

Hmmm...... This is an interesting conversation here.  I have been lurking reading what is going on down under regarding Dodge Bros.  Here in the mountain west of the US, I have a couple of slow builds, a 1923 DB touring car originally owned by a grand-dad and a 1923 Screen side "someday project".  My mother-in-law was a native of Sydney.  My wife still has a bunch of relatives in that general area.  The talk of "Utes" is interesting to me.  Is their a group, in Oz, that is dedicated to that type of vehicle?  Here in the US and in my area, little reverence is given to our American version of a "Ute".  The DB screen side fits in as a factory built utility.  I also have the start of a 1929 Nash Advanced 6 "Ute" as well as a donor 1950 Alvis TA-14 that I would like to create a true Ute out of the remains.  If any of you Aussies have advice or council for a would be Ute builder, enlighten me.

Al

Here is a side note, I live in Utah and Ute has a whole different meaning here!

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

Hey guys,

I'm still alive !! been working and trying to get to the car. Finally got some time yesterday so I'll post some progress pics ( or lack of ).

I like the way you get suspicious of us when we go quiet !!

I live in Melbourne so like Matt, locked down tighter than a you know what. Sick and tired of this lockdown stuff. They actually said on the news that by November we should be able to travel to London but not Perth which is our own country. I give up. Last week I had to get tested as some idiot I worked with went to a mates place who he and his wife tested positive. Mine came back negative. My wife has had to have three tests last week for different reasons....most of the time its stupidity. She's a Nurse Manager for two medical practices so you can imagine what sort of nongs come in and ask dumb questions. Anyhow as I said finally got back to working on the car......yay

I'm  with you I have had enough! Sick of lockdown!  I know it's for the good of the country,but I just want to be able to go and drive my cars with friends!  Put my expression of interest with Tom for the Maryborough rally only to find it has been postponed.  Sheryl and myself very disappointed.  Can't wait for things to get back to normal!  I find it hard even to work on the cars,knowing I can't even get to drive them. Just have to push through it and get to better times. Maybe next year rally in the west!

3 hours ago, aunty norm said:

I'm  with you I have had enough! Sick of lockdown!  

Been sick of it since it started... Can't imagine going through the BS you guys are dealing with thanks to the extremists.

Wasn't this suppose to only last a few weeks to "curve" the  spread? Here we are almost two years later being manipulated as a world society. 

Amazing

I've been vaxed and wear a mask everywhere and it's still not good enough.. what a joke.

What's next driving my classic trucks with a bubble helmet on? 

Oh wait....🙊

Dang, it's already here!

Youtube bubble helmet... 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

We've been hearing about violent protests down under. Don't know about violent but it's about time you guys protested. All of our schools wear masks, but they can play football? Penn State our largest university threw out 120 students last week because they failed to take a weekly test because they are not vaccinated. BUT the same week they had 110,000 in the football stadium, not a mask in sight.  We have one of the major antique tire companies here local. So last week I stopped by for inner tubes and the door is locked with a big sign. You have to call, credit card, then they put your stuff outside to be picked up. BUT they have a truck full of tires at Carlisle car show this week and will be at Hershey this coming week. The babbling idiot is going to fire all  the border guards for not being vaccinated but the illegals are not even tested, just distributed around the country. 

• Like 1

Sadly there is no logic nor any equality, like you our footballers operate under different rules.

However you look at it the last job I would want right now is as a health policy decision maker whether that be in health, state or federal politics.

A future question once this settles down is how the lower income group survives when the government assistance stops. 
A second question is how long it will take to pay the debt incurred helping those most affected.

Protesting is not the answer, those in charge are well aware that the measures taken are not popular, is a much higher death toll a better option? 

• Like 1

Giving money to those that don't earn it is never the answer. During the depression there were menial jobs that left people still have their pride and receive a paycheck. I am going to quit this discussion with one request. Back in Jan. our gov't started throwing money at this problem, trillions at a time. I can not understand what a trillion is so I converted it to seconds. Ask your google how long a trillion seconds is. If they give away a trillion dollars and someone puts back one dollar every second 24-7 how long would it take to replace it? 

• Like 2

I frequently checked in on threads like this to get a break from all the crazyness and enjoy a good laugh. Because of the authoritarian systems contributing to the contraction of common sense around the globe we the people (as a world community) are forced to have these discussions and it sometimes spills out in places we look to for escape unfortunately. 

One thing that Ian said above I hope we never get to respectfully is.. the point of giving up.

Never give up. Respect the law of the land but also enjoy your time with friends and family, and when it comes time to make a change for leadership in your land, remember to take back that power the best you can by voicing your opinion via ballot.

Remember,

A society that will trade a little liberty for a little order (control)

will lose both, and deserve neither.

If we "give up" then we've already lost as a world people.

Now, if we could somehow get those Aussies to quit driving on the wrong side of the road ;)  

image.png.94e50af739493f838617d9242094ae2d.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I suppose the term "I give up" is more atune to " give me a break " rather than I don't want to go on.

It is odd when you go to another country and adapt to their road rules ( or try to ).

Now for a bit of light entertainment.....this picture was posted to me from a guy in the States...it said no harm to a groom was made in taking the shot....and the bride encouraged it !!!

This is one of my favourite pics ......

IMG_6513.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Sure wish you guys would have been here, Hershey was dead today. Only heard two people that I would have needed an interpreter for. People walked by without slowing down like they were in the Friday frame of mind. Just walking from here to there no interest in anything along the way. Few parts moving unless they were super cheap. Biggest bummer is no pizza. I heard Herco jacked the prices on all food vendors so they stayed home. $20 to park for spectators. 

• Like 2

What a shame, the swap meets used to be “The place” to find that elusive part and catch up with your fellow enthusiasts, now, with the advent of ebay and the like we can find things in minutes where it used to take years often at a much greater cost than before and now that the shipping industry has changed the postage is oft times more than the item. Prices for everything will continue to rise at an alarming rate pushing the ordinary enthusiast out.

We should assess our value as below.

A734930D-F61D-45F9-AF23-7C05D1842FB3.jpeg.1da164a4f7f062d5baae82c242274a42.jpeg

Cute too.  😂😂😂

• Like 3

7 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Sure wish you guys would have been here, Hershey was dead today. Only heard two people that I would have needed an interpreter for. People walked by without slowing down like they were in the Friday frame of mind. Just walking from here to there no interest in anything along the way. Few parts moving unless they were super cheap. Biggest bummer is no pizza. I heard Herco jacked the prices on all food vendors so they stayed home. $20 to park for spectators. 

Jesus that’s no good Doug. We’d love to be there just for the experience if nothing else. Hopefully it will pick up over the weekend for you. 
It’s getting like that here the only people able to make any money is the organisers. A lot of my food truck customers get charged ridiculous amounts to attend festivals and shows a then on top of that they take 20% of there profits. Not allowed to trade in cash either. All eftpos machines. 

Same stuff today, no pizza and other food vendors are missing. Only excitement is killing spotted lantern flies, they are everywhere. Another import from China. You used to see guys carrying fenders and hoods all week. Now they just walk by looking at their phone. I've been told at least 30 times my truck is too cheap so I raised the price, they still just walk away. No offers. On Wed. there were about 15 turkey vultures circling not far away. I think they even see the end. 

This is what happens to you after 250 days of lockdown. You make stupid shit like this in your garage. 
1E9BBC04-8423-45C2-A747-1DA4B6E77985.jpeg.bc967c9b004989a36ed3adb96d0e3f75.jpegA7F9422F-CAA4-4424-8958-29A27C8DB7C2.jpeg.28ed14d17b98562eb096d21c6689cb8e.jpeg

I’ll have no excuse for having dirty cars now. I was getting a bit sick of mixing up my cleaning rags. 
I have accepted that I have car cleaning issues don’t worry. I’m seeing someone about my problems 😬😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Matt, I knew something was wrong, you've been too quiet.   You need to get out on a nice dirt road for a while in one of the cars. How about I send over some spotted lantern flies? That would keep you busy. I think Hunter brought them back from China and they have taken over here. They were the most exciting thing at the Hershey car show. They breed like rats and eat all your trees and are fun to squash. I kept telling everyone at the show to take some home with them as we have plenty. I just read last night apple cider vinegar kills them so that will be the next shortage here. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ian_Greenlaw said:

Matt, is this where I order one of these racks ????.....labelled too please !!  :)

Yer for sure,😂👍my brother is making one now too.I would do it for him but he’s in Queensland.  

2 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Have they let you Aussie's out of housejail yet? I thought 3 weeks trapped in a car with my wife was a long time on vacation. You guys are giving the ultimate sacrifice.

This Friday is the first day we can go out and play!  No curfew and we can go shopping and see friends and family!  Still can’t travel out of the metropolitan area but hopefully that will get relaxed in a week or two.

• Like 1

Saturday or Sunday was looking good for a drive, Rich was going to head over to my place but the forecast is for rain Damn it. If there’s any hint of sunshine on Sunday we’ll be hitting the road (Not cars) if we can. 
Be straight out to Yarra Glenn chocolate factory for ice cream 🍦 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Minibago said:

I didn’t make a cleaning board Matt but I did get a couple of bins ex Toyota factory closure to put my parts in.

F50F56B4-C017-4C6C-A59D-4FC8F73107F7.jpeg.6826ed6ba4b491f448bb084efd9d9142.jpeg

767F6F06-F3F4-44B7-B37E-ED7F4921058A.jpeg.d85642f5a5c234ccb652752f3a86d677.jpeg

A4B3899E-A8FB-427B-B29F-E7993C354DF9.jpeg

I like it. It’s so expensive to buy all that stuff new isn’t it. 

Ohh yes, you have to love marketplace. If you have the patience to keep looking for a bargain then pallet racking is the only way to go.

If you are still looking for a new place Matt the weather in SA is soooooooo much better than Vic.

• Like 1

Just nutting out a deal with the council now and they will let us stay for 12 months. 
SA is to far away from the kids and grandkids. We get all your weather about 2 days after you do, and then it’s second hand because you guys take all the good bits. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That is great news Matt, it is a huge effort shifting the work shop, the house is pretty straightforward. 
We moved from Melbourne a week before Covid hit as most of our kids and grandkids were here in SA, turned out well for us, we had a removalist do the house and I did the garage with a big car trailer but it took nearly a year to get new shed built. Thank god for the pallet racking.

36039DDE-4BDB-4AD4-BF82-D94D58A10BD3.jpeg.7c2ecafbce7285f5f11a189a19f13f65.jpeg

It makes a good work bench too.

DF633D88-8242-4AD6-8345-EC7C7F20992F.jpeg.15b2ce3ee7f3d2053c4e33f636be924f.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/21/2021 at 10:04 PM, Minibago said:

That is great news Matt, it is a huge effort shifting the work shop, the house is pretty straightforward. 
We moved from Melbourne a week before Covid hit as most of our kids and grandkids were here in SA, turned out well for us, we had a removalist do the house and I did the garage with a big car trailer but it took nearly a year to get new shed built. Thank god for the pallet racking.

36039DDE-4BDB-4AD4-BF82-D94D58A10BD3.jpeg.7c2ecafbce7285f5f11a189a19f13f65.jpeg

It makes a good work bench too.

DF633D88-8242-4AD6-8345-EC7C7F20992F.jpeg.15b2ce3ee7f3d2053c4e33f636be924f.jpeg

That’s a great set up, you’ve got some serious storage there Nigal. 
Im kind of looking forward to moving my work shop because I’ll have a good clean up and sort out. And the shed will be bigger and better organised for at least a week or so. 😁

Thanks Matt,

It has taken some thought but more importantly it has taken some time (and some dollars). A few weeks won’t be enough. Once fully sorted with everything having a home it should stay neat if I put everything back where it belongs. My wife is happy because she now knows what to call the item she will be selling by the labelling on the bin. As long as she doesn’t sell it for what I told her I paid for it. 😂😂😂😂

• Like 2