Early Cadillac Hub Cap - Thread Back Side?

Ken Felton

Ken, I'm not sure if I understand your question. The hubcaps from the teens and twenties did indeed screw onto the hub, serving as attractive grease caps, in a manner of speaking. The notches DFeeney referred to are not something original, I don't think. But I'm no Cadillac expert, so others will chime in with more certain info on that. 

• Like 1

The cap was used on Caddys in the 1920's. This looks like rear wheel version which had a larger diameter than the front. Notches are not original. 

Here's text that accompanied the 2 photos:  

"Nickel plated pressed brass threaded hubcap for a Cadillac automobile built in the 1920s era. I believe this is a rear wheel cap and is smaller then the more common ones.
SIZE: The cap has an outside diameter of about 4 5/8” and is 1 7/8” high with 4 ¼”- 16 threads."

normal_Cadillac_NPPB_11_A.jpg

Cadillac_NPPB_11_C.jpg

Your cap is actually quite rare, it is a rear axle cap from 1916-19. The tipoffs are the logo with the nine point floating crown and the separate emblem as opposed to one stamped into the cap. The size indicates the rear hub use, your cap is probably larger than 5" diameter. The black paint on the cap was actually original from the factory. Here are photos of just the center emblem and a typical front cap.

cad893.JPG

cad1456.JPG

50 minutes ago, Ken Felton said:

caddyshack & roysboystoys, thanks for the education.  It is very interesting to learn what the notches are for and the tool used to tighten the cap.  Thanks again

Those notches were probably made for the wrench shown after the owner lost the original hex (octo) wrench.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t believe that the notches on the edge of the hubcap were used for removal. The early hubcaps (pre 1906ish) had spanner wrench notches but the ones with removal hexes usually had notches cut for either set screws to prevent loosening of the hubcap or grease zerks that also functioned as set screws. You often see multiple notches cut in well used hubcaps I’m assuming because the threads would widen over time from removal and over tightening. I am beginning to think that the notches were cut by Cadillac service dealers after production  because I see these notches almost exclusively on Cadillac hubcaps from this era. Here is a hubcap that I saw on a 1911 Cadillac chassis at Hershey last week that had a grease zerk installed on the hub showing the notch in the hubcap. 

071F427D-F702-41AA-92D6-1FEEEC40B5B3.jpeg

20 hours ago, Hubcap-collector said:

I don’t believe that the notches on the edge of the hubcap were used for removal. The early hubcaps (pre 1906ish) had spanner wrench notches but the ones with removal hexes usually had notches cut for either set screws to prevent loosening of the hubcap or grease zerks that also functioned as set screws. You often see multiple notches cut in well used hubcaps I’m assuming because the threads would widen over time from removal and over tightening. I am beginning to think that the notches were cut by Cadillac service dealers after production  because I see these notches almost exclusively on Cadillac hubcaps from this era. Here is a hubcap that I saw on a 1911 Cadillac chassis at Hershey last week that had a grease zerk installed on the hub showing the notch in the hubcap. 

071F427D-F702-41AA-92D6-1FEEEC40B5B3.jpeg

Interesting, never saw that before. Much better than drilling holes in the front of the cap for a zerk fitting!

cad2392.JPG