Shock Link Bushings for the 29 -32 cars

Canadian PB Kid

Hello, I'm trying to locate the shock link bushings for my PB. I tried Andy, Steele Rubber and a few other sources with no luck. In checking the United Motors section of the 1934 parts book I read that the same bushing (#3- PN# 41133) was used between 29 and 32, so I suspect that others have had to replace these bushings and I'm wondering what others have used.  

I've also tried the aftermarket route which I'm still working on, by trying to reduce the OD of those bushings to 3/4" from 1-1/16", any suggestions on reducing the OD of a rubber bushing?

Thanking in advance,

Dave

STAY SAFE! 

Shocks fast moving parts.jpg

Shock and links.jpg

Buy material of the correct durometer and turn it down.......experimenting is required........been there, done that. Makes a mess of the shop....both in smoke, smell, and swarf.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well... that wasn't too bad, I mounted one of the Mustang Bushings on a bolt with washers on each side that were just oversize of the size that I wanted to grind it down to. Then I mounted it in my drill and ground it down on the grinder to proper size, Took about 15 minutes per bushing. It did make a bit of a mess but I mounted my shop vac by the grinder and it took most of the debris. I did get a bit overzealous on one of the later ones but a couple that came off the car were good enough to reuse.

Thanks for the advice!

Dave

STAY SAFE! 

shock link bushing B4.jpg

shock link bushing tool.jpg

shock link bushings finnished.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 2/7/2023 at 9:41 PM, 34Carrott said:

My records are 10 years old, but I used Steele Rubber number 60-0106-32 for the rubber bushings on my 1932 PB sport roadster.

Thanks 34Carrott, Interesting, Did you have to resize the OD and did all of yours have the steel inserts?...only three of mine had the steel inserts...

When one search's the Steele website by year and model, no link bushings come up... also when I called Steele a year or so back to place an order for other stuff, I asked about a shock link bushing and was told that they didn't carry such an item.... now, when I search by part number it does come up but the only Plymouth it list to fit is the 30U which is odd since the United Motors list all the same from 29-32...

In hindsight I'm glad I took the route I did, the kit I bought was $35. Cdn, the singles from Steele Rubber appear to be $8.95 US each (X8) plus shipping, with the exchange rate at the time, it was a savings for me of close to $65. Cdn.... enough for milk, couple loaves of bread and a piece of fish now-a-days....

STAY SAFE!

• Like 1

Canadian PB KID, we matched these at Steele's booth at Hershey and they matched perfectly. So, upon return we ordered eight. The sleeves from the original bushings were reused.

I recently cleaned up some extra shock links we have acquired and most of the inserts were in pieces.  Broken in two from years of use. They were made of brass with indentations to hold the oil or grease used at lubricant.

I hope you have continued success on your restoration. 

Dennis

• Like 1