Wheel Hub Removal Lincoln KA

Hi Berry. Great car. Posting photos with questions is always a good way to get more responses. Also a photo of the car goes a long way. There are several Lincoln guys here who I am sure will help you out. I seem to remember needing a special tool for the rear axel nuts........maybe its a faulty memory. That said, it's basically the same as a small dump truck..........everything is heavy, but not difficult to deal with. If you need help getting it apart, you may be biting off more than you can chew. Yo will probably need to back off the brake adjustment to get the drums to slide off, and adjusting the brakes correctly can be a challenge. Why are you pulling the hubs? Check brakes and bearings?

5 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Matt: The thread you sent is very helpful. Thanks.

Do I need the "special hub wrench" or if I just pop off the clip on the rear hub will the axle come out? I am trying to do this so I can visually check out the bearings and brakes.  They seem fine  but to get the car licensed here in B.C. the hubs and drums need to come off for safety inspection. I am heading out of town for a couple of weeks so it will take a while before I get to the project again.er is a pic of the car and of the front and rear hubs.

34C54C5E-4985-42B9-A40D-3249CDFA43BA_1_105_c.jpeg

AC5D9ADB-BC42-4C5B-97D2-33AB8BEC720E_1_105_c.jpeg

C0E17D6B-B1CA-4AB5-A9B5-AC2411E3E151_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes, the hubs in your car are just like mine. You will need the wrench. I tried a few different things but the wrench makes it much, much easier. I found mine on eBay and was lucky that it was there right when I needed it, but you might have to do some searching. It will depend on how much disassembly the inspector wants, but the wrench will certainly make things far, far easier. 

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Yes, the hubs in your car are just like mine. You will need the wrench. I tried a few different things but the wrench makes it much, much easier. I found mine on eBay and was lucky that it was there right when I needed it, but you might have to do some searching. It will depend on how much disassembly the inspector wants, but the wrench will certainly make things far, far easier. 

If the wrench looks like i picture it looks it would be pretty easy to fabricate........bob

I'm sure you could surely fabricate something, but the official wrench has 4 tools in one that are all needed to get the hubs apart. I'd spend the $85 on eBay to get the right tool for the job--it made taking it apart and putting it together a breeze, especially the rear hub which is tucked inside a sleeve and clearances are very tight. Also, there are the two posts on the wrench that remove the lock washer on the front hub. A very useful tool. I tried for about a week to get it apart without the right tool and once the tool showed up it took about 5 minutes.

• Like 2

Listen to Matt. After following his posts, and seeing that having the proper tool made a job easier (whoda thunk?) I searched for and bought the same wrench for a 33 KA I'm working on. Best little purchase of the year.

At 85 bucks, it sounds pretty reasonable over fabrication yourself. Factor in your labor rate and materials. Plus all of the measurements are factory correct with a factory wrench.

• Like 1