1931 REO Royale Victoria 8-31 NOW SOLD

Mark is not super phone literate so I'll work with him to get better pictures.   He bought this back in 2014 from Bill Barker in SC who inherited a bunch of Royale's from his dad.

This car is very rare and I've never seen one in person.  I think there are 3 or 4.   It is the 131" wheelbase Royale with the big engine  359 - nine main.  I'm sure it will go like a bat out of hell.   It is a full CCCA Classic.

Here are two pictures I took back in 2014 of the car before Mark bought it.   He has done a lot of work to it and I'll try to get an itemized list.   The car does run.

Marks-8-31-Victoria.JPG

Marks-8-31-Victoria2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This is a picture of the only other sidemount 8-31 Victoria that I know of.  This car is down in NZ.

The 8-31 was an effort by Reo to take some of the cost out of the 8-35.   There are minor cosmetic differences but the biggest is the shorter wheelbase.  I've always thought of them as factory hot rods because they still have the big engine.

Btw,  17k CAN is like 13,500 US.   

8-31-Victoria-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm working on photos.  Here is a list of work that Mark did to the car:

removed the body which is solid it has a little rust around the trunk by the bumper I would replace it with steel not Bondo.

Sandblasted the frame and had it painted black in a body shop I thought the paint would be of a higher quality than the store bought cans.

Front drivers spring was wrong a replacement of some kind was installed had a new one made by a spring shop.

Radiator repaired by a professional shop.

Had radiator thermostat which opens grill to cool it repaired by machinist.

Water pump completely rebuilt by machinist it has asbestos rope packing.

Generator and starter rebuilt even though it worked by local shop.

All four Lovejoy shocks rebuilt by shop.

All four brakes rebuilt along with the transmission parking brake by shop.

Wheel cylinders and master cylinder rebuilt by shop.

Had a friend who is a licensed auto, truck, car, bus and motorcycle mechanic redo the brakes turn the drums install new brake lines and gas line.

There is no hydraulic fluid in the braking system at the current time.

New oil seals installed in rear axle.

New rubber cushion for front driver spring.

New NOS horn.

New distributer cap.

New thrust bearings under king pins as originals were damaged.

Purchased John Deere wheel bolts and had them machined to fit the Royale

New head nuts.

Had water inlet casting brazed and machined.

Bought ignition coil as original missing.

All new gaskets purchased by Royale Group as a package for the engine.

Spare head gasket.

Purchased a fuel pump from the USA as there was none on the car when purchased.

Cleaned oil pump and repaired crack in it works well and good oil flow.

Engine started right up when tested.

Had the carburetor professionally rebuilt in Oshawa cost $250

The differential had water in it and had it professionally cleaned and re-lapped at a transmission shop cost $1,000

Gas tank has a coating inside from shop previous owner had it done.

Bought a new aluminum (AJ comment:  I think it is stainless) water jacket with Royale script on it.

Bought a new water distribution tube for the engine.

Replaced the wood sills from firewall to rear wheel well.

Repaired both B Pillars as bottom 6 inches rotted out.

Roof no existent had to design my own roof framing from picture of roof framing from a Royale Coupe Bill Eaton sent me.

Rebuilt wood around back seat and rear window.

Re-did wood around rear quarter windows.

Replaced passenger top rail which goes fro windshield to rear quarter window.

Rebuilt both front doors where previous owner slapped a straight piece of wood at bottom of door where a contoured piece should go.

Had exact measurements taken of the rear wooden trunk by a family member going through Alberta by Joe Asuchak's farm.

Trunk has to be finished I have a set of latches in Flint at Tim Lyman’s house who can ship them.

I have more parts at Tim’s like running board lights ? etc. I cannot remember whats there at this time as they have been there for two plus years.

Purchased new replacement interior and exterior door handles that John Phillips in Texas had made.

Purchased a reproduction crank hole cover that Keith Smith in Texas had made.

New hood,

New muffler.

Had the steel running boards repaired as they were rusted out by local shop.

Had the splash aprons repaired by same shop.

Had a metal worker make new metal sills for the Victoria

Replaced damaged window run channels with new SS material.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

That's a heck of a list.  This seems like a great opportunity for the home restorer as a fair amount of heavy lifting done.  Great for someone who can paint and do finish bodywork. 

Typically I advise against unfinished projects,  but you will never see a Royale Victoria in this price range.   I know Mark has a crazy amount of work in to it.    I've seen parts cars bring this sort of money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

This is a picture of the only other sidemount 8-31 Victoria that I know of.  This car is down in NZ.

The 8-31 was an effort by Reo to take some of the cost out of the 8-35.   There are minor cosmetic differences but the biggest is the shorter wheelbase.  I've always thought of them as factory hot rods because they still have the big engine.

Btw,  17k CAN is like 13,500 US.   

8-31-Victoria-1.jpg

Not so.  My nephew has an 8-31 side-mounted sedan in Hyde Park, NY.  It was my brother's car before he passed away.  Car currently needs work, not on the road at present.   John

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

Typically I advise against unfinished projects,  but you will never see a Royale Victoria in this price range.   I know Mark has a crazy amount of work in to it.    I've seen parts cars bring this sort of money.

Is this an IQ test?

• Haha 1

If I had not filled up my garage with other less substantial vehicles then I would be very interested as this model is a very rare and extremely beautiful vehicle when finished.  Even having this magnificent car in its current "AS-IS" condition sitting in a garage gives instant credibility to the owner. Just having one (in any condition) makes even the most high brow collector turn his head and ask questions. What is the cost to bring it over to US ?

• Like 1

Beautiful car. I second the comment about having 1 too many unfinished projects in the works or else.......... 

There was an article about REO's in the last issue of old cars I got. I think there was a guy that had 3, one of each body style but my wife put the paper in the trash so I cant see what exactly he had. The article did mention how rare the cars he had were.

Go for it Gearhead..   With the current exchange you just about cant beat the price. I looked at a model a woodie project last spring that was in the Great White North. Actually very close to where my brother lives so making the deal would have been easy peasy, Bobs your uncle. I decided against it but often think about what may have been a good deal.

• Like 1

Yep this is for the home restorer, which is an important distiction from tinkerer/smaller project hobbyist which is what I would call myself now.  If my next goal wasn't to buy a car basically ready to roll this would be very appealing.  If John buys it I might have to check it out and drool on occasion though. 👍😎

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• Ed Luddy changed the title to 1931 REO Royale Victoria 8-31 NOW SOLD

Nice to see a real buyer on kijiji instead of  the usual phantoms!  Or, maybe someone saw it posted here??

Either way, I hope they enjoy the car!

P.S. I know of another REO in Ontario that has been slowly getting put together, but it's been close to 25 years if not more. It's a 1934 I believe.

I hope to stop in and see the owner soon and see it again.

I used this thread when I  cross posted it to other places.    I believe it sold through the email I sent to the other Royale owners.

Not sure why Mark didn't ask the club guys first as that is usually where you find the buyer but not always.   It was good you found it and posted it because he would have never sold it on that Kijji listing.

Although there are only 50 or so known 359 Cube Royales the owners are pretty active together.   There are parts projects and collaboration.  The President of the Reo club owns like 6 of them and will personally send you a part if you are screwed.   They are good guys.   Will miss Mark.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I believe it sold through the email I sent to the other Royale owners.

Makes sense, and I’m glad it is going to a good home. Hope to see it completed some day. Great cars and this was a good deal.

Probably good that I hesitated. Just managing the logistics of getting it home would have buried me right now. And I get to stay married, which is nice. 

- John

• Like 5

1 hour ago, daniel boeve said:

There is one for sale in Belgium also.A 835 1932 4-door completely restored .They painted the motor bright yellow , i have no idea if that was original .

Really attractive car.  Surprised if it has not found a home by now.  That is a 200k plus restoration.

Just needs blackwalls.   Engine color should be black I believe.

Royales came in four wheelbases:   131 (831)  135 (835) 148 (848) and 152 (852.

The highest percentage of survivors are 135  with a single 148 and a single 152 plus a body known to exist.

1690939884_20060625REOIMG_0174_resize.th

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I should be looking here more often as I never knew the car was for sale until now. An hour drive and Marks car would have been in my shop. My 12 T is almost done and the Reo would have made a great project. I use KIJIJI all the time but rarely look at cars for sale.  My lose story of my life.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

27 minutes ago, jeff_a said:

Is the Reo Royale Victoria like the 1924-1930 Peerless Victorias or Opera Coupes, with a folding r.s. front passenger seat, 2-pass. rear seat, and a top hat compartment?

Jeff,

no. Dual folding bucket like seats in front and bench in back.

You will find some very rare cars occasionally on KIJIJI and yes it would have sold on that listing. KIJIJI is owned by E BAY paying 9.2 billion for it. Up here  Craig's list is not very popular except for the west coast. On KIJIJI a friend bought a 1914 McLaughlin Buick M55 serial number 2000 and the only touring that was made of the total 3 M55 produced that year. Car body is aluminum and 5 in. wider at the cowl than the B55. 

Here is a 1970 / 80s post card picture from the museum that closed that had it in their collection. The car was abandoned in storage then sold on KIJIJI. So KIJIJI is worth while watching as you never know what will come up. 

Sorry I missed the Reo listing. 

BellMcLaughlinCapture2.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)