My kind of candy store - LeMay style

30DodgePanel

I have always liked cars, all kinds. If my tastes didn't get a bit gauche I am sure I would have narrowed my hobby experience.

a0014.JPG.21e2f80b41b14215c715408f9da3b615.JPG

a0015.JPG.c3310d3fa6b77b5650aeeccdea24feee.JPG

a0017.JPG.90451fc85105ec3552a3be4c40532a98.JPG

a0020.JPG.125eda8daff1ac16ce1e7e04c8a7e0b3.JPG

Imagine my surprise when I sat in the roadster and saw the Mustang shift lever on the floor.

Thank you, Mr. Mace, for leaving my wife and I alone to tour your buildings. She still remembers your parting words "If you have any questions ask him. He knows everything."

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Everything was going good until the tour guide announced the '83 Duesenberg with the 460 V-8.

Ahh cmon Mike, what do you expect from a free tour guide? lol

After this covid bs especially

I kind of liked how they had tools and machinery displayed throughout the mix of cars and trucks. 

10 hours ago, 37_Roadmaster_C said:

Isn't it amazing what can be created by garbage!!!  Harold LeMay was the owner of a very profitable garbage company.

My great uncle was a junker and everyone thought of him as a poor nobody but he died a very wealthy man and the family was shocked when they found out. 

Wish I would have had the chance to meet him and learn from him... 

I'm just thankful these places exist no matter how they obtained each piece of history. 

• Like 1

Yet another perfect example of several common misnomer(s), including “Collection/collector” instead of more accurate/typical  “hoard/hoarder” and “barn find” without the actual barn …🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TTR said:

Yet another perfect example of several common misnomer(s), including “Collection/collector” instead of more accurate/typical  “hoard/hoarder” and “barn find” without the actual barn …🙄

Funny, I looked right past the obvious for good reason but I see some of you boys really get your pants  in a bunch over it. lol amazing..

Guess some of us just appreciate seeing old cars regardless how they are displayed. 
Some of you guys do a grand  ole jobber of picking apart the obvious things that some of us just don't give a sh&* about. 
Kudos for getting stuck on what bugs ya. ;) 

Feel free to correct him for his pathetic labelling practices. I'm sure he'd like to hear from all of you misers of extreme knowledge lol

image.png.e4ff33b1879580394b979757f3e6f356.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I guess that what always surprises me is how some can be treated to a spectacle like this collection and complain about what they are seeing or the man who made it happen! I'm unwilling to refute what some may think, regardless of how narrow minded that it seems to be. I'll let the collection speak for itself. This snippet of one building does not do justice to the size and diversity of the whole collection or the process that brought it together. He didn't collect because a car was valuable or change his collection to satisfy the whims of the market. He literally collected everything. To him the lowly 1953 Plymouth for door was as important as one of his Packard convertibles. That's why this collection contains cars that neither you or I will ever see anywhere else. His collection is not about the high end classics, although his collection has them, but it's about the common place pedestrian cars, some of which have just disappeared because they weren't popular. Once in his collection he seldom sold a car. I'm sure to many he was a hoarder, to me he was a savior of much that would never have survived.

What needs to be touched on is about the man who preserved and restored more cars than anyone else in the world. I first met Harald about fifty years ago. I really didn't know him that well, so I will try to keep it simple. Harold was a self made man. He got all of what he had by hard work and and truly honest nature. It wasn't always easy in the early days. When money was short he could always fall back on his honesty. His word was his bond. When he made a promise people could take it to the bank. Somewhat shy, friendly, humble and honest. I'll let you unpack the mix, but what it meant was that anyone who I knew, who knew him well, was proud to call him a friend.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A couple of years ago we visited the 'other' LeMay collection and were very impressed.  Didn't have time for both.  I'm looking forward to seeing this collection the next time we visit our son in Seattle.  You really have to admire someone who was so into vintage vehicles and also had the means to save them.

• Like 2

The family collection is a different thing than the Museum which is famous now.

The Marymount collection is an impressive car collection to be sure.

However, You will see a huge doll collection, an impressive hose nozzle collection, even a collection of vintage meat grinders. (meat grinders might be at the house now that I think about it). And on and on.

Marymount was a military academy back in its day and very interesting to see how they used the academy facilities in the displays.

Just about impossible to see it all in a day.

THEN, if you time it right they open up the homestead. This only happens one day a year and is a few miles away but shuttle busses will make the trip all day.

I only watched 30DP's first video (great work by the way) and that was only the beginning of what one can see out there.

Thanks for the post.

To be clear more clear Marymount was a boy's school, but it was best known a nunnery. The property is in a Tacoma suburb of Parkland. It's a beautiful piece of property in it own right. As I remember the story, Harold was able to purchase the property, in an area rife for development, with the understanding that it would not be critically altered. There were also concessions made to the retired nuns, to allow them to live their waning years on the property. Harold has been gone since 2000 but the family has lovingly kept his legacy alive by continuing with the process that he started many decades earlier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2021 at 1:43 AM, mike6024 said:

Everything was going good until the tour guide announced the '83 Duesenberg with the 460 V-8.

Harold had to have one of every everything. Even a bad re-pop. Everyone ought to see the extent of this collection. Not the overly commercial one that is in a fancy Silver Slug looking building in downtown with his name on it but the personal family collection. This is were the offending Duesenberg is held but so is the real collection good and few bad.

https://lemaymarymount.org/

Kurt M

Tacoma WA

• Haha 1

This morning was coffee day in my garage with a friend who has been stopping by ever since the plague hit. We were talking about some current trends in the hobby. I said that I thought a lot of things were the result of peer pressure. With that I waved my hand at the contents of my garage and added "which obviously does carry much weight with this stuff".

It brings to mind a statement I remember from my early days learning about cars. It has been said "In car building the French copy no one. And no one copies the French." The same can be said of car collections, large and small.

Edit: had to correct the spelling slip on plague. One misspelled word is like a repop Duesenberg in a car collection.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

This morning was coffee day in my garage with a friend who has been stopping by ever since the plaque hit. We were talking about some current trends in the hobby. I said that I thought a lot of things were the result of peer pressure. With that I waved my hand at the contents of my garage and added "which obviously does carry much weight with this stuff".

It brings to mind a statement I remember from my early days learning about cars. It has been said "In car building the French copy no one. And no one copies the French." The same can be said of car collections, large and small.

Very true....

I'm still wondering how you got hit by a plaque? ;) 

• Haha 1