Custom Classic Tubes by Lucas? Coker Tubes?

leomara

My Chrysler calls for a 650-18 tire and the according tube.  Like tires, tubes are a hit and miss commodity these days.  I was told by a sales person at Lucas no one has made a tire tube in this country for the last 20 years.  Coker tells me their tubes are made in Mississippi when they can get them.  Any testimonials on sources and quality would be most welcome. 

And one more thing that makes no sense, why do tire flaps cost more that tire tubes???  

Edited by leomara (see edit history)

I  have the same problem.  My tires were installed during the time of Julius Ceaser. I finally removed them so I can clean up the rims. The old tires were welded to the rims. I had to hack them  into  small pieces to get them out. The flaps were  stuck in some places . I had to tear them out.. The rims were rusted inside. I cleaned and painted both inside and outside. I ordered tires,tubes  and flaps through my agent . He got 4 tires and is waiting for the past 6 months for tubes and flaps. I phoned the companies who advertise on Hemmings and were told they are waiting for  supplies from overseas. The problem he said is the scarcity and shortages of containers around the world and shipping woes not to mention the effect of the pandemic. I saw the news on CNN about the shortages of containers . To rent a container was 3200 dollars, now it is 30000 dollars to rent the same container. The reporter was reffering to the price and shortages  of toys is going to skyrocket, and every thing else being shipped from overseas.   

For what it's worth, Lucas claims to have tubes for my 650 X 18 tires, brand name of Custom Classic.  I don't know what the quality is so I'm hesitant to spend the money but for all I know they could be just as good as anything else that may manifest itself in the future, or the only thing I can get now or in the future.

The trick to tires and tubes is to inventory them......yes it’s expensive. And I practice what I preach. It’s been 24 months that tires and tubes are in short or non existent supply. I expect it will remain for another 18 months minimum. The third largest shipping port in the world in China is closed from Covid.......with hundreds of ships at anchor........things are not going to get better soon.

That being the case, is it true that all tubes come from non-domestic sources?  We do manufacture tires here, what about tubes?  Also regarding the Custom Classic brand from Lucas, someone posted they are made in India.  Same problem there as in China?

MWS Wire Wheel in the UK has good quality tubes and rim bands in a wide range of sizes in addition to their wire wheels and hubs.  The tubes are available with rubber or metal stems, as well as some options of where the stem is located on the tube and its shape. Sending by air freight avoids the sea transport problem. A phone call may be the quickest way to match your needs to their inventory. 

Hi Gary_Ash, thank you, checked the place out, appears to be nice quality, however quite pricy when you convert the pound sterling to dollars and then there is the shipping.  It is an alternative to nothing though.......

I purchased 2 sets of inner tubes from Blockley Tyre Company in England, https://www.blockleytyre.com.

One set of inner tubes were for 32x4 tires, the other for 6.50x19 tires. All had metal stems

The cost was 2-3 times what Coker/Lucas charges, but the tubes are substantially better. You can tell just by looking at and hefting them.

Fixed a flat on one of the 32x4 tires (domestic inner tube that failed 3 times in 1 1/2 years). In 3 months the tire pressure has not gone down 1 psi.  Very happy.

For me, it's worth the extra cost. The Blockley were very friendly over the phone and via email. I highly recommend them.

• Like 4

Remember, you can always use tubes that are smaller than called for, even significantly smaller.  I grew up in Dad's tire shop.  We once put a bicycle tube in a 6-70 15 just to see how it would work and it was fine. We did not drive on it but the point is you can use tubes several sizes too small with no problems.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Remember, you can always use tubes that are smaller than called for, even significantly smaller.  I grew up in Dad's tire shop.  We once put a bicycle tube in a 6-70 15 just to see how it would work and it was fine. We did not drive on it but the point is you can use tubes several sizes too small with no problems.

Better a size smaller than a size larger.

Yes, a slightly undersize tube is fine........but I would never install one on anyones else's car but mine. Liability today.........it's insanity. 

• Like 1

Depending on the size, truck tubes are an option. I put 16-inch truck tubes in the 17-inch tires for my '35 Lincoln and they worked just fine. Of course, I haven't driven it, but the tire shop that did the work had no problems doing it and no concerns about safety. Truck tubes are considerably thicker and more robust than the Coker condoms.

You might also check with Lucas Classic Tires and see their supply. When I bought my 17-inch tires, they did have inner tubes in stock that would fit.

22 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

You might also check with Lucas Classic Tires and see their supply. When I bought my 17-inch tires, they did have inner tubes in stock that would fit.

Twelve years ago I bought a set of Lucas's tubes to go in the Bedford Famous Coach tires purchased at the same time (700 x 17, 1934 Pierce 8).  In the first 1,000 miles, returning from a PAS meet in SoCal, two of the tubes split along the bonded seams at speed (55-58 mph) in hot weather.  I had meticulously prepared the inner portions of the wheels to prevent any chafing.  Those tubes were soon replaced with 16" light truck tubes, which have given no problems, and neither have the Bedfords--which survived the flats perfectly.

It's getting to the point that I rather have a decent tube with an incorrect valve stem than try and deal with all the bullshit of the "go to" American classic tire suppliers. Let's face it, being out of stock on ANY tire tube is asinine. It's lack of investment in inventory and capital. They started jamming it up our are on tire, tube, and flap prices a few years ago.........and now they don't even have a stock to pull from. I expect someone will pick up the ball and run with it........I'm perfectly happy to pay twice or more for GOOD tubes that are correct, and in stock. I'm disgusted with the current situation............and when I can find good tubes in stock, I will inventory them myself at the shop...........I'm tired of phone calls that don't get straight answers. 

I am dealing with that right now. Had the Packard out the other day and as I was pulling off main road and only a few house anyway from home the left rear tire went flat. Pulled tire and found the cable stem leaking at point where it is valcanzined to the tube.

Called the place where I purchased the tires (back in 2013) and no luck they don't have the tube in stock. Called the parent company same thing and with no eta when they will be getting them.

Called Lucas today only type they had in stock which has the rubber stem (I need the one with brass stem). I ordered the rubber stem anyways since I like the get the Packard out again. Been almost 5 years since the last time I had it out of the garage.

Another issue I am having is trying to have businesses to call me back to let me know if they have a rebuild kit for the fuel pump. Called and emailed three different places.

Edited by Tom M (see edit history)

@edinmass

You think I should replace all of them. 

Was hoping to just fix this one tire and when the brass stems come available I will replace all of the drive wheels tubes then.

For the side mounts I reused the best old white walls and I don't recall if I replace the tubes back in 2013.

thanks for your feedback

Tom