Wanting information on Franklin Ownership

MccJoseph

Hi everybody,

I am a long time classic car enthusiast, and  recently sold my classic car to get a Polaris slingshot. Well, I miss having some old iron in the garage and have decided I want to pick something up again. This has led me on a journey to find the right car. I would like to keep my budget below 25K and want a pre-war car.  I have drooled over Packard's and Pierce-Arrows, but I don't think I can afford either of these brands. Then I stumbled onto Franklin. For all intensive purposes, it seems like a whole lot of car for the money. I read everything I could find about them, and find their technology fascinating. The large displacement air cooled engine, the sheer amount of aluminum they have in them, and the high gear ratios available. They seem like just as well built a car and from what I can find very reasonably priced. I went to the HH Franklin club and see a few cars that would fit my needs. Some restored and some projects. I am not opposed to either one.

So what I am here to ask is, what does a prospective Franklin owner need to know? What speed are they happy cruising at? How available are parts for them? Are there any sort of maintenance needs or anything I should be aware of that is not widely known? I read that some of them you have to take the head off and manually oil every so many miles. Ideally, I just want a car that the wife and I can hop in with some friends or family members and go on cruises with, take to shows, and participate in club events. How do they behave on the road?

With what you want your car to be used for, several Franklins fill the bill. However, if your really interested, there's no reason to just jump in to the unknown. Join the H. H. Franklin Club and come to a Franklin trek. Then you can talk to the owners of the different models and years in person and get rides in them. Then you can make a wise and intelligent choice that you will be happy with. 

• Like 3