I would like to mount the spare tire on the front fender of my 1928 Dodge senior. There is no well to acomodate  the tire

trini

I would like to mount the spare tire on the front fender of my 1928 Dodge senior. There is no well to acomodate  the tire . The car has  wood spoke wheels. Any thought  about how to go about it ?  Is it worth it ?

Thank you guys for a reply or two. 

Harry.

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to I would like to mount the spare tire on the front fender of my 1928 Dodge senior. There is no well to acomodate  the tire

You would also need to get all the special hardware and braces for a side mount tire, They don't just use a well but braces to support the weight when running down the road. I rounded all the stuff up for my Chevrolet but it was a chore. One other option is getting one of the wells the Chevy or maybe Ford suppliers sell and have it put into the fender. Then come up with the supports to keep the weight of the wheel and tire from tearing your fender off.

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trini said:

I would like to mount the spare tire on the front fender of my 1928 Dodge senior. There is no well to acomodate  the tire . The car has  wood spoke wheels. Any thought  about how to go about it ?  Is it worth it ?

Thank you guys for a reply or two. 

Harry.

Find a parts car with a side mount and then fabricate the mounting as the wood wheel would mount differently than a wire wheel to a side mount fender.

If you  put in a tire well on your Dodge  you have to put it in the right spot and depth or the Factory side mount hold down brackets won't line up.  I would try to look at another car and measure before you star the process.  Side mount hardware is hard to find. It helps to be a Dodge club member and network with others owners of the same year.

I have a car with side mounts. Two rims and tires on  each side. I worked on the vacuum tank for about an hour today and spent most of that time wishing that I didn't have them. They are a pain to take off but also a pain to work around. Zeke

• Like 1