Shipping company needed

TampaRiv

Hello friends,

I have purchased a new project car out of WV, and I need it transported to Tampa.  BUT, I am getting so many flaky jokers on the internet, I just feel like all these companies are some kind of scam.

If anyone can recommend a transporter that thy have worked with, please let me know.

Kind regards from Tampa,

Rich

We just shipped a car from S Florida to Ann Arbor, MI. We used Pilot Auto Transport. We were very satisfied with them and the price was reasonable.

One of the nice things about them is they do everything; their truck, their driver, their rep on the phone. No middle person in any of it.

Good luck

Jeff

ROA 13051

Edited by Bronze Mist 64 Riviera
Spelling and Signature (see edit history)

I recently bought a car thru Bring a Trailer, and used their-in house shipping service. The cost was much less than what I expected, and the driver was awesome. The company that actually performed the transport was Plycar. Might look them up and see what you think.

I used Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS) twice after having no end of trouble with uShip shipper folks.  They are not the cheapest but I no issues with them even when it started to have the brakes stick on they just noted it on the shipment log and still brought it on time.  I've shipped it 5 times now between the military moves and when I got out having to put it in storage for 3mths.  Nothing but trouble the first three times with uShip drivers and smooth sailing the final two with DAS.

• Like 1

Thanks Pearle,   This USHIP looks like an alternative to the transport brokers out there, who skim off at least a few hundred bucks for doing (in my estimation) precious little.

And thanks to all who replied with suggestions, they are much appreciated.   Rich in Tampa

3 hours ago, TampaRiv said:

Thanks Pearle,   This USHIP looks like an alternative to the transport brokers out there, who skim off at least a few hundred bucks for doing (in my estimation) precious little.

And thanks to all who replied with suggestions, they are much appreciated.   Rich in Tampa

3 hours ago, 68RivPearle said:

Totally missed that this is a project car.  Try this website.  Type in the specifics and then have people bid for your shipment!

https://www.uship.com/

I had passible luck with uShip the first time and horrible luck the second two times.  Do not recommend, even paying more for one of the better reviewed shippers either.

It appears that this uSHIP  thing is simply a website that attracts brokers.  It's simply adds another layer to the whole convoluted scheme.   All the brokers do is post your car listing on a board for the actual carriers to look at and decide if they want to pick up your car for the posted price, if they are driving in the general area.  It does not seem to be possible for the guy wanting the service to be in touch with the actual guy driving the truck.  It seems that there always needs to be a middleman, usually calling themselves a transport company.   But they don't have trucks or drivers, they are just brokers that post your car on a board.

In my estimation, the broker is taking about $300 to post your car on the board for pickup.  When the car arrives, you pay the guy in the truck in cash, whatever the balance of the contract is.  Say the broker sets a price of 1200 to ship your car....the broker takes the first 300, and when the carrier gets to your house with the car, you pay that carrier the balance in cash. 

TampaRiv thats probably the best luck you're going to have with finding a cheap transport for your car.  Even flying up there, renting a Uhaul, and driving back down to FL would be around the same cost plus your time.  I wish you luck with your situation as I know how annoying it can be.

Sorry, I have no specific advice related to shipping in the US, but before we cut our cable TV a few years back, I recall a cable reality show called Shipping Wars that was focused on Uship's "top" half dozen or so drivers hauling random stuff across the country after bidding against each other to get the load. Albeit a "made for TV" reality show, I get it, but if they were the top UShip haulers, good grief.

My advice, hire a real professional, one often gets what they pay for...

Good luck... 

39 minutes ago, telriv said:

I use Bill's. You can find him on v8buick.com   Very professional. Has over 3 million accident free miles. Can be opened or closed transport.

Ask Tom Mooney as I sent him to Bill's.

Tom T.

Tom,

I was already aware of Bill from the v8 Buick site, but your recommendation confirmed his reputation, thanks.

I contacted Bill a couple of weeks ago to move a car for me and he is booked for the rest of the season which, for him, wraps up in October.

Tom M.

There is little demand to transport vehicles into West Virginia  - you have to drop off a vehicle before you can pick one up.

Few haulers have winches in or on their trailer - a  roller usually cost more than a 

runner to transport because of the labor involved.

Your best bet is to go after it yourself with a trailer.

Jim

Thanks Jim.  You are correct, WV is not the crossroad for car hauler transport.   The big issue was that nobody I contacted (or contracted with) would shoot me straight about this fact.   SO.....days went by with no activity.  And I could not get ANY of these jokers on the phone.

As it turned out.....I was able to get in touch with a carrier through uShip last night.  Not a broker, but an actual carrier coming out of Cleveland, and running down 77 today.   His price was 1000, and uShip added just $75, which I felt was pretty reasonable. 

The communication with the guy was good;  the seller says the guy has the car loaded and  is enroute;  and the carrier tells me that the car will arrive tomorrow afternoon around 5.   If that happens, I will re-post with some photos and the carrier's name and contact info.    If something goes wrong, I will re-post with the carrier's name and contact information.

Cheer from Tampa,

Rich

Edited by TampaRiv
grammer (see edit history)
  • Like 3