1970 Pontiac GTO Convertible 400 4-Speed

Almost to the day after I sold my 69 convertible 35 years ago I've been on the prowl for another GTO.  But it had to be a 65-67 or 69.   Never liked the 70.   Until I saw this one.  And I hate red too.   What gives?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-pontiac-gto-25/

his 1970 Pontiac GTO convertible was delivered new to Jim Culligan Pontiac of Williamsville, New York, and was purchased by the seller after being offered on BaT in December 2020. The car was repainted in its factory Cardinal Red during a 2014 refurbishment and is powered by a numbers-matching 400ci V8 paired with a Muncie four-speed manual transmission. Equipment includes a black vinyl interior, a power-operated black soft top with matching boot, an Eaton type Positraction rear end, 14” Rally II wheels, power-assisted front disc brakes, power steering, a hood-mounted tachometer, and a vintage-look AM/FM radio. Work completed under current ownership consisted of replacing the power steering pump, steering rack, and an oil change. This GTO convertible is offered in Illinois with a copy of the build sheet, restoration and assembly manuals, partial service records, manufacturer’s literature, Pontiac Historical Society documentation, and a clean Arizona title in the seller’s name.

1970_pontiac_gto_1627483864f66e7dff9f987

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

I've never understood the choice of black upholstery in a convertible.

Even a mildly sunny day would make those seats wretchedly uncomfortable.  A 90° day?  Forget it.

You and me both.  Talk about frying the back of your legs as you sit down in a pair of shorts.  

2 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Even a mildly sunny day would make those seats wretchedly uncomfortable.  A 90° day?  Forget it.

I had a ‘69 Caddy ragtop in Phoenix. Black leather seats. Only left it parked with the top down once. 😳

17 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Yes. Especially in the GM vinyl. Guaranteed to scald flesh when left in the sun!  My 72 442 convertible has white interior and I had more than one person say they would change it to black.

I think the thing I really like about this car is the black top and the wide ovals.

I've stopped putting the top down on my convertibles anyways, so the black interior probably wouldn't bother me.  Also, I'm typically not taking my cars out on scorching days in the North East.  We don't have that many of them.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, alsancle said:

I think the thing I really like about this car is the black top and the wide ovals.

I've stopped putting the top down on my convertibles anyways, so the black interior probably wouldn't bother me.  Also, I'm typically not taking my cars out on scorching days in the North East.  We don't have that many of them.

I'm 66 now. Have had a convertible almost every summer since 1973. A very memorable one was a 1963 Cadillac Eldorado convertible in red with a white top and interior. It had Air conditioning, was bought new in Florida. I bought it when I lived in Halifax Nova Scotia in 1974 and thought that was the pinnacle of an over optioned car at the time. Summers in Nova Scotia in the 70's you never needed A/C. I went to Florida the next year and realized why it had A/C and white interior!

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 4:26 PM, alsancle said:

Top up on a day like yesterday or today should be a ticketable offense AJ 

• Like 1

Steve, they have really migrated all over the state over the last few years.

Something that occurred to me last week while mountain biking. At dusk. Alone. 😳

As far as tops go, I leave mine down most of the time. The down side is that they sometimes need to stretch when I eventually try to put them back up. 

• Like 1

John, bear doesn't bother me within reason, bobcat, on the other hand - they can be aggressive and a problem.  

Top on the SL has been up a few times but not that many.  I think it is the original top and likely saw little prior service as well.

Darn.  Too bad you missed that Royale.  AJ could advise the restoration, and I could take that blocky Lincoln off your hands... 😁

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

19 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Great color combination Ed.

Thanks.  Yes, I like it. It's called Radiant Green with Cameo White stripes and interior. It looks better in pictures due to fading,  vinyl stripes cracked and blotches. As well as rust poking thru on the right rear quarter panel.Calling it "patina" is overly kind, but it does have character!

junpics9 090.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GregLaR said:

What are you asking for this car Ed?

$14,000 US dollars. All #'s match, GM Vintage Vehicle documents, lot's of original paperwork. It runs and drives good. It does need a restoration to make it nice. Or just drive it!

• Like 2