Same Hershey spot, same vendor, same car or part

1937hd45

This will be 51 Hershey swap meets in a row for me, and I was wondering if others have noticed the same car or part for sale for years with the same vendor. For me it is a guy in the red field with a 1928 Ford rumble lid handle, a bit over priced, this just may be the year it ends the yearly trip. Bob 

I always wondered why nobody ever developed a phone app that would allow users to "throw out" a request like - Looking for that rumble lid handle.  That would show up on the app that vendors could look at and respond to saying - I have one in spot xxx.   

I know it takes all the fun out of the search but it would connect a lot more buyers and sellers looking for specific parts.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

Bob,

There is stuff I swear has been there for 20 years or more.  And heavy stuff too.   I'll never understand why someone drags a rusting hulk all the way to a flea market.

I had a 1914 Torbensen gear reduction truck rear axle on eBay years ago. I stated you could pick it up on your way to or from Hershey. A guy hit "buy it now" and paid right away. I PM'd him about when he planed to pick it up, some how he thought it was to be delivered free to Hershey. I had room on the trailer and I rolled it on, only one flat tire on the way to Hershey. Buyer showed up at my swap met spot with a pickup around five in the afternoon, looked at the rear axle and wheels and said, "That is a lot bigger than it looked in the photos, I don't suppose.............................. BAM! The team of super heroes that were listening to the conversation set down their beers picked up the axle and slid it in the bed of his truck and turned it into an instant Low Rider. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I dont know what most of the stuff I am looking at is! But it does seem that there is a fair share of stuff that looks the same from year to year. The other one that gets me is the car corral. I think there are some people that pay the premium to park their car there, then put a ridiculous price tag assuming it wont sell or if it does then more the better. I swear that there are some cars that I see every year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I dont know what most of the stuff I am looking at is! But it does seem that there is a fair share of stuff that looks the same from year to year. The other one that gets me is the car corral. I think there are some people that pay the premium to park their car there, then put a ridiculous price tag assuming it wont sell or if it does then more the better. I swear that there are some cars that I see every year.

There's a '90s Chrysler minivan in there every year for like $50,000. He's just buying on-field parking. We should be able to lodge a complaint, but how do you judge who is a deluded seller and who is gaming the system? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2021 at 9:50 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Those phone app people are too young to be interested in old parts, the old people with the parts don't have a smart phone. 

Bob 

As much as I hate to admit it, there will come a day when that won't be the case.... and I believe that day is closer than we think.

I too like the thrill of the hunt but you have to admit, it's inevitable this will someday be a reality. 

I'd use it if it helped and not ruin the swap experience. I could see it becoming a problem IF miscommunication occurred, getting hopes up and causing frustration and angst on both sides (buyer and seller). 

Now.... If I could only get my grand kids to focus for 20 seconds in order to explain the need to them maybe they can create the app ;) 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I collect brass lamps, among too many other things.  There are a couple of guys who have been bringing the same lamps for 20 years and wont budge on the way over priced items.  I've been looking at one particularly interesting lamp that long at least.  It's nice but it needs some restoration, still it's priced way beyond unbelievable.  I have made some handsome offers a few times, but the response is always a gruff "that's the price, take it or leave it."  The guy then turns his back and walks away. Sad thing is, over the years its been handled and knocked around so much it now sports a big dent in the top and a cracked lens.  Still, the same price though.  I didn't bother looking last time.

Terry

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

I collect brass lamps, among too many other things.  There are a couple of guys who have been bringing the same lamps for 20 years and wont budge on the way over priced items.  I've been looking at one particularly interesting lamp that long at least.  It's nice but it needs some restoration, still it's priced way beyond unbelievable.  I have made some handsome offers a few times, but the response is always a gruff "that's the price, take it or leave it."  The guy then turns his back and walks away. Sad thing is, over the years its been handled and knocked around so much it now sports a big dent in the top and a cracked lens.  Still, the same price though.  I didn't bother looking last time.

Terry

Red field?

• Haha 1

I try to price items at or below what I think is reasonable. If you don't like my price then make a reasonable offer and you will likely own it. I don't like hauling the same stuff around year after year. I want to see parts get into the hands of collectors and restorers and if a dealer wants to buy and flip for a few bucks that's ok with me too. I have a big stack of Packard door edge trim in the original Packard boxes. I'm going to price it a $2 per box. People will be happy to have an original Packard box/part to display and I will be happy to get rid of it. Win-win.

• Like 1

I do have some stuff that has appeared at my space at Hershey before , but that most likely was a decade ago. Like most I don't want to haul it home BUT will not give it away either as 99% of what I have is pre WWII and there are just no longer any "piles" ( for lack of a better description) of stuff to find things in at antique shows, antique shops etc.  I am almost at the point of doing what my friend Phil Dumka did decades ago with a sales folder he had - tear it up  and be done with it. I told that tale here some place.

With the internet at the finger tip a lot of people think they can find stuff 80+ years old for a lot less then they can at a car flea market , so have enhanced their opinion of "I can buy that for less" even more so. They do not think of the tax they have to pay on the item ( I absorb that for sales at Hershey) nor the shipping.

I try to price what I have fairly for the era, condition, etc. and now have little patience for the folks who no matter how cheap the price is will utter the standard "will ya Do Bedda" or " I'll give yaz".  This year I made a sign that I will post that says I do not listen to that.

Hey guys, my days of getting to enjoy the flea market were over once I took this job.  I finally got easy room accommodation's, my house, but not time to enjoy the flea market. :)   Usually take an hour out and got down a couple of rows and buy something just to buy something.  If anyone spies any early Oldsmobile automobilia please contact me by cell or leave a message at the Chocolate field AACA trailer.  I would be much obliged!  C3H, C3I 5-7

• Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 11:20 AM, Matt Harwood said:

There's a '90s Chrysler minivan in there every year for like $50,000. He's just buying on-field parking. We should be able to lodge a complaint, but how do you judge who is a deluded seller and who is gaming the system? 

EVERY DEALER IS DELUDED.........they have to be to be in the business. 🤑

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Hey guys, my days of getting to enjoy the flea market were over once I took this job.  I finally got easy room accommodation's, my house, but not time to enjoy the flea market. :)   Usually take an hour out and got down a couple of rows and buy something just to buy something.  If anyone spies any early Oldsmobile automobilia please contact me by cell or leave a message at the Chocolate field AACA trailer.  I would be much obliged!  C3H, C3I 5-7

I'll certainly be an extra set of eyes for you Steve. No commission!

Terry

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

I do have some stuff that has appeared at my space at Hershey before , but that most likely was a decade ago. Like most I don't want to haul it home BUT will not give it away either as 99% of what I have is pre WWII and there are just no longer any "piles" ( for lack of a better description) of stuff to find things in at antique shows, antique shops etc.  I am almost at the point of doing what my friend Phil Dumka did decades ago with a sales folder he had - tear it up  and be done with it. I told that tale here some place.

With the internet at the finger tip a lot of people think they can find stuff 80+ years old for a lot less then they can at a car flea market , so have enhanced their opinion of "I can buy that for less" even more so. They do not think of the tax they have to pay on the item ( I absorb that for sales at Hershey) nor the shipping.

I try to price what I have fairly for the era, condition, etc. and now have little patience for the folks who no matter how cheap the price is will utter the standard "will ya Do Bedda" or " I'll give yaz".  This year I made a sign that I will post that says I do not listen to that.

You should know most of us horse traders can't read ;) 

You've been warned (kidding!)

• Haha 1

Low ball offers, you get to spot most of them before they say a word. The ones that travel with a pack of friends are the best. The guy will pick up some piece of crap I have on a blue tarp and make his counter offer as soon as I give him my price. Pause, look at the part in the guys hand, look at his pack of friends, now look at him and say "Sure!". His friends will now start laughing at the guy, knowing he is going to have to pay for it. Happens every year. 

Bob  

• Thanks 1

Cupla years ago, a guy and his over decorated "trophy girlfriend' stopped by. I had a pair of 24 T roadster windshield stanchions on the table for $50. He grabbed them and said he needed them for a street-rod he was building.  He then proceeded to showoff to his girlfriend what a swap meet bully he was by bad-mouthing the part and trying every trick known to squeeze them to half price.  Finally, another customer showed up and I turned my attention that direction. It only took a minute for the "odd couple" to walk away.   I put the windshield stanchions back in my truck.  Sure enough, an hour later, the dude came back, this time without his girlfriend.

He scoured the table, and eventually asked if I still had  those windshield stanchions.  I told him they'd been sold, but-I quickly decided to have a little fun.  "I've got another pair but have not priced them yet.  When I sold the last pair, two guys were fighting over them and I ended up getting $125 for them."   I was going to leave it at that but the guy asked if he could look at the one's I still had.  I got them out of the discretely pulled off the price tag and told him I wouldn't take less than $150 for them. He counted out the money and muttered, "guess I should have bought the other ones."

One of my favorite Hershey tales,

Terry

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

I can't possibly walk the fields of the great Hersey swap meet (braces on both legs) but if anyone sees a 38 Studebaker State Commander and would be kind enough to give the seller my number or text me their info I would really appreciate it. I am about 90% sure I will be rebuilding the front end after my accident. I've located the grille & left fender already.  Hope it is OK to ask something like this on the forum.

dave s

630-204-2552

dave@sandscirculation.com

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Dave ,

I for one will be looking out for what you want. Come on everyone - let's help out a fellow collector get his desire for useable wheels back rolling along!  Please Make the effort for our friend Dave!

Walt Gosden

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Cupla years ago, a guy and his over decorated "trophy girlfriend' stopped by. I had a pair of 24 T roadster windshield stanchions on the table for $50. 

Terry

Remember the years in the mud watching "First Timers" with the girlfriends in spiked heals? 

17 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

The little old man with the Packard overdrive shaft and transmission parts, and small trailer trailer.  the last few years in the early 2000's years, his wife brought him to sit at Hershey when he was in his late 90's.

Funny thing a few years later I notice some same parts, overpriced by the new owner.   I asked "if these  parts belong to the little old man?" 

The vendor reply:  "I've  had a dozen people ask me that same question." 

• 2 years later...
On 9/7/2021 at 9:36 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

I don’t know what  year Olds stuff you like, I have a nice brass Oldsmobile dealer give away letter opener for sale here, I can try to get a picture tomorrow when we setupin the morning. I think it’s 1930s but not sure.