Steering wheel covers for a 30s car, for or against.

Buick35

Yes, I have used them. I like them. I try to make them as neat as possible to look like they belong on the wheel. Had to find a truck size cover however for my Franklin. My reason for using them is out of necessity. I have a hook on my left arm and they work well to protect the wheel from scratches and still hold up without damage. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

• Like 2

I also meant to say, If you have hands on the wheel and no mechanical devices why would you want to cover up a nice looking restored steering wheel. I wouldn't. Let them look beautiful without covers. Covers are great to cover up cracks, chips and flaws, or in my case for grip, but they don't add anything other than that. Just my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have restored the wheel, and the new finish ( paint? ) is totally and thoroughly dry you will not wear or mar the shiny finish with handling it to steer. Thing is you have to let the applied finish ( of products mentioned) totally harden . If the paint manufacturer says it will be dry/good to the touch in 6 hours double or triple that! to be sure. Don't blame the paint if it retains finger prints , slight scuffs - you didn't let it dry long enough - what is the rush?

I dealt with all kinds of paints for years - taught art for 30+ years and also worked with automotive paints restoring the cars I own.  I do not know much about the "modern" paints ( two part with a hardener etc) .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

You could try wearing a nice pair of soft gloves for the next 10 or 15 years and see how that works out. Leave then right on the dash or the seat next to you.

This is a good idea but I've found putting on a pair of gloves that have been setting in a car that's -10 degs is not all that pleasant. Remote start would be a good solution at least part of the time.  

I concur with Mr 60FlatTop.  I like driving my antiques and classics with a decent pair of calf skin gloves.  I'd strongly recommend not installing a turning knob on the wheel - just recently saw that on an antique car and a tractor.  They made them illegal for a reason. Tom