'64 4 way power seat woes

Deanoko

Guys, I've got an issue with the 4 way power seat on my deluxe interior '64.  The motor(s) run in all 4 switch positions but the seat doesn't move.  I'm not seeing any way to get the seat up out of the car

since it's stuck in its position.  Can anyone shed some light on how to access the bolts?

Basically pretty easy. Remove the three bolts on the rear tracks in any way you feel nec. Even turning them with a 1/2"wrench 1/6th. turn at a time. Then slightly lift the seat from the rear & slide it out of the front U shaped tracks.

Tom T.

Typically this symptom comes as a result of the transmission not connecting the rotation of the motor to the cables and therefore the actuators. If the coupler between the motor and transmission is intact and the rotation of the motor is entering the transmission but not being transfered into rotation of the cables, the transmission is the culprit.

What happens after 50 plus years of age is that the original grease becomes hardened and will not allow the internals to function as they should. If you remove the old grease and clean thoroughly you will see the internals need to easily move on the transmission shafts to transfer rotation to the cables when commanded by the switch.

This is a good DIY project but pay attention when you are dismantling the transmission.

Tom Mooney

There is a section in the 1963 Shop Manual (I assume the '64 Manual has it, too) with an exploded diagram of the power seat transmission mechanism. Use that to guide you taking it apart and reassembling. I had mine apart, cleaned and greased it about 10 years ago and it is all still good.

You can remove the seat track mechanism from the seat to do the work and then you can test it in the car with no seat bolted to it.  Just remember to run a ground wire.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1