1973 AMC AMX Javelin V8 4.1 4 SPEED MANUAL Hurst Shifted

I really like this but I have no idea what a 4.1 is?    Anybody?   Looks like a dealer trade in and they have no idea what they are doing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265290234950

1973 AMC Javelin AMX 401, 4 Speed Manual, Hurst Shifter, Local Trade, Super Clean, Leather Seats, Rear Spoiler, Premium Wheels, New Tires,**TRADES WELCOME**, FREE CARFAX on our website

73AMX-3.jpg

73AMX-2.jpg

73AMX-1.jpg

• Like 1

401 , largest engine AMC offered. 4.1is probably a misprint.

I worked on few of those at the AMC dealer when new, very quick!

As a side note . I just looked and I have the Snap On screw driver I bought to reach the dash pad screws on

the top by the windshield. You needed to remove the dash pad to install air conditioning unit.

I don't recall any coming with AC , dealer installed.

Edited by roysboystoys (see edit history)
  • Like 2

That’s a great car. Looks very nice. I don’t love the color but the condition is so good that I could live with it. 

I agree the “4.1” is a typo and they mean the 401 ci engine. 

I wonder how hard it would be to clean  the burnt rubber off the rear fenders?  😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not a bad looking car with a great drivetrain. Not crazy about the colour but I suppose it works on this car. No idea on value but for the money you are probably in AMX territory.  This one has AMX on the sail panel but I thought the AMX was a shorter wheelbase without back seat.

27 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Not a bad looking car with a great drivetrain. Not crazy about the colour but I suppose it works on this car. No idea on value but for the money you are probably in AMX territory.  This one has AMX on the sail panel but I thought the AMX was a shorter wheelbase without back seat.

The 68-70 is the two seater and the 71-74 is what you see here.  

• Like 1

I actually like the color.  It's a bit different and kind of period.

I was looking at 71 - 73 Mustangs and while I never disliked them, thinking about how well that design has aged in my mind anyway. Especially the convertibles. 

On closed cars, it may be me but it seems some reciprical influence on these cars?

Diggin the valvecovers on this one, looks tidy under the hood.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's a really nice Javelin. For the "muscle car" boys, it's about the last gasp design as the 70s went on. Some 401s around '74-'78 found there way into Jeep Cherokees, J-10 & J-20 Pickups and Wagoneers and even a couple of special order Gremlins(!). My Dad really liked the 232 inline six in his '65 Rambler Classic Convertible and he would probably point out that 4.1 L is close to 232 cu. in. Well, 3.8, anyway.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

11 hours ago, jeff_a said:

It's a really nice Javelin. For the "muscle car" boys, it's about the last gasp design as the 70s went on. Some 401s around '74-'78 found there way into Jeep Cherokees, J-10 & J-20 Pickups and Wagoneers and even a couple of special order Gremlins(!). My Dad really liked the 232 inline six in his '65 Rambler Classic Convertible and he would probably point out that 4.1 L is close to 232 cu. in. Well, 3.8, anyway.

You are referring to the elusive "Randell" Gremlin.