For Sale: 1958 Chrysler Imperial - "Long time owner. Being sold out of the estate" - San Leandro, CA - Not Mine - 11/18, 10/26, 10/14, 10/11 & 10/8 Reduced - 12/4 Deleted

For sale on Craigslist: 1958 Chrysler Imperial 4-door Hardtop in San Leandro, CA  -  $26,400  -  Contact Kevin:  510 367 03 one three

On 10/8, Seller reduced price to $20,000 and relisted

On 10/11, Seller reduced price to $18,000

On 10/14, Seller reduced price to $16,500

On 10/26, Seller reduced price to $15,500

On 11/18, Seller reduced price to $15,000 and relisted

Link to 11/18 relist: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/san-leandro-1958-chrysler-imperial-door/7409657456.html

Seller's Description:

1958 Chrysler Imperial 4-door Hardtop

• odometer: 1,000
  • paint color: green
  • title status: clean

Classic car in great condition. Long time owner. Being sold out of the estate. Only used in parades.
Located in San Leandro. Available for showing M-F, 9-5.

image.png.4dff07a683ab00213e28541bbf98042e.png

image.png.761255e344f8fbb220fdea027e7be9ac.png

image.png.7f017a7185e4ddbe179815e6ebad1030.png

image.png.a732fde8632e3717cf92e0718ddfb908.png

image.png.6ef300c67b73452cd1bab5380793a373.png

image.png.7c071733a95f490e66f5720b465d6017.png

image.png.67fc7c2467e6c357cce7d89b7ba0c9a5.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update price & status (see edit history)
  • Like 8

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Chrysler Imperial - "Long time owner. Being sold out of the estate" - San Leandro, CA - Not Mine - 10/8 Reduced & Relisted
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Chrysler Imperial - "Long time owner. Being sold out of the estate" - San Leandro, CA - Not Mine - 10/11 & 10/8 Reduced
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Chrysler Imperial - "Long time owner. Being sold out of the estate" - San Leandro, CA - Not Mine - 10/14, 10/11 & 10/8 Reduced

I went and looked at it yesterday. It is in such a dark storage space that one cannot see much of anything under the car. It ran, sort of. I could feel that the engine was in need. Also several items did not work. Tires are so old that they have aged out. 

I made, via email last night, what I considered a reasonable offer given the condtion. I have yet to hear anything back. If you look at the Model A and the other car they are selling one sees a pattern of asking very high prices and looking for people with more money than good sense or people who have no idea what they are looking at. I am not one of those but as B.T. Barnum said a sucker is born every minute.

The car does not have AC or rear Defroster nor auto pilot nor much of anything else but a radio with the power antenna.

We will see what is anything the seller says. It has been on the market for months.

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The condition looks good but it's so dark in that garage it's difficult to tell what the correct color is.  This listing would really benefit from an outdoor photo shoot.

Yes, is it blue or green? Other than that, I'll make no comment on the car itself, but the word "estate" is always a red flag for me, not just because a title from a deceased owner may be a problem, but because you may be dealing with inexperienced non-car people who'd rather price too high than too low.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, James_Douglas said:

I went and looked at it yesterday. It is in such a dark storage space that one cannot see much of anything under the car. It ran, sort of. I could feel that the engine was in need. Also several items did not work. Tires are so old that they have aged out. 

I made, via email last night, what I considered a reasonable offer given the condtion. I have yet to hear anything back. If you look at the Model A and the other car they are selling one sees a pattern of asking very high prices and looking for people with more money than good sense or people who have no idea what they are looking at. I am not one of those but as B.T. Barnum said a sucker is born every minute.

The car does not have AC or rear Defroster nor auto pilot nor much of anything else but a radio with the power antenna.

We will see what is anything the seller says. It has been on the market for months.

James

James, thank you for sharing your oservations with us. Please keep us posted on your efforts to acquire this car.

Also, please see today's new listing for additional options:

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/369774-for-sale-1958-chrysler-imperial-2-door-hardtop-all-stock-parts-including-motor-4-original-hubcaps-portland-wa-not-mine/?tab=comments#comment-2283309

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)

Well, I offered them $11,500 as is where is without and outdoor look or a road test OR $13,000 with an extensive look outside and a highway road test. They came back with $15K and I told then no.

The median NADA/Hagerty value is about $9500. The tires are shot on this car as well as the other items. It has not been driven much in years so it will need a complete brake job at a minimum. The estate people no nothing about cars. They just know they get a percentage so they keep waiting and waiting for the proverbial sucker.

I will keep an eye out for 1956 to 1962 Imperial 4 door hardtops that are in very good to excellent condition and with AC.

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, James_Douglas said:

They just know they get a percentage so they keep waiting and waiting for the proverbial sucker.

Sheesh. . . . . yeah just like we have all seen at swap meets, a seller who wont take a few dollars less to complete a deal. 

Dont they understand "For sale does not mean Sold" ?

They are probably thinking that Jay Leno is going to drop by with fist fulls of cash :D

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Chrysler Imperial - "Long time owner. Being sold out of the estate" - San Leandro, CA - Not Mine - 10/26, 10/14, 10/11 & 10/8 Reduced

I noted that.  As much as I do not like regulation, I think ALL estate sellers and the like who are handling the liquidation of an estate should not by law be allowed to get a percentage. They should bill only on billable hours. They also should by law not be allowed to purchase directly or indirectly anything from the estate.

I have seen where something is quite valuable and they buy it themselves or have their brother-in-law do it and then flip it for a big profit and the estate gets the short end.

With classic cars like this I see an estate wait and wait for liquidation so that the estate agent holds out for a larger commission when they have a perfectly reasonable offer based on the published book value which is built on actual sales at auctions and confirmed private party sales.

My 2 cents worth this morning....

James

The estate seller works for the estate, not the convenience of the buyers.  The hiring estate wants the agent to balance getting stuff sold vs. getting the best price, so a percentage of total sales makes sense.

Now steering items to themselves is "insider trading" and I agree that it should be disallowed as conflict of interest.

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Chrysler Imperial - "Long time owner. Being sold out of the estate" - San Leandro, CA - Not Mine - 10/26, 10/14, 10/11 & 10/8 Reduced - 11/10 Deleted
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Chrysler Imperial - "Long time owner. Being sold out of the estate" - San Leandro, CA - Not Mine - 11/18, 10/26, 10/14, 10/11 & 10/8 Reduced
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Chrysler Imperial - "Long time owner. Being sold out of the estate" - San Leandro, CA - Not Mine - 11/18, 10/26, 10/14, 10/11 & 10/8 Reduced - 12/4 Deleted