1950 Buick Gas Pedal Bellows and Brake Pedal Grommet Installation

Kartman01

I am starting to get into the fine details of my 1950 Buick Super and one thing that has been driving me nuts is the unfinished look 

of the carpet around the accelerator rod from the gas pedal as it goes through the carpet. Same thing for the brake pedal. 

I have orded both the accelerator pedal bellows and the brake pedal carpet grommet from Old Buick Parts (photos attached). My question: is 

there anything special I need to do to successfully install these items? I'm guessing they are secured to the carpet somehow, but not exactly

certain how. 

I'm guessing they don't come with any installation guidelines, so I am hopeful someone on the forum can help.

Thank you!

Accelerator Bellows.jpg

Brake Pedal Grommet.jpg

If memory serves correct unhook rod from pedal, the bottom lip of the accel bellows goes through the hole in the metal floorboard and the bottom of the first large bellows sits on top the carpet.  That’s how the original one on my 55 came out FWIW and can’t guarantee a 50 is the same but the design looks identical.  

My car never had a brake pedal grommet on the carpet side so can’t help you there.  My thought was might they go on the engine compartment side and seal the brake rod to the toe board hole when the pedals are up?  On a 55 that’s just a round cup looking seal from a comparative perspective.  

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kartman01 said:

. . . I am starting to get into the fine details of my 1950 Buick Super and one thing that has been driving me nuts is the unfinished look of the carpet around the accelerator rod from the gas pedal as it goes through the carpet. Same thing for the brake pedal . . .  

Is your front floor completely carpeted? A Buick Master Body Parts Book lists insulation, insulating mat, retainers and screws (Group 15.289) for the Models 59-79 Estate Wagon's front floor covering.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1953mack said:

Is your front floor completely carpeted? A Buick Master Body Parts Book lists insulation, insulating mat, retainers and screws (Group 15.289) for the Models 59-79 Estate Wagon's front floor covering.  

Hi 1953 Mack, thank you for the information regarding the Master Body Parts Book illustration. My car is a 1950 Super, Model 50 I beleive. Not sure if that is the same as a model 59-79?  Either way, do you have a an illistration of how the parts you mention (insulation, insulating mat, retainers and screws) all go together in an assembly?

Thanks for any help

10 hours ago, 50jetback said:

The brake/clutch grommets actually fit under the toe-board and are not seen from the interior.

https://www.hometownbuick.com/1950-buick-brake-service/

1950-buick-brake-pedal-clearance-adjustment2.jpg

Thank you 50jetback, I would have gotten this completely wrong without your feedback!  I assume the brake grommet needs to be installed

from underneath the car vs from inside the car?  Hopefully there is a way slipping the grommet over the brake pedal 'arm' without having to remove

the brake pedal arm...

Thank you!

10 hours ago, KAD36 said:

If memory serves correct unhook rod from pedal, the bottom lip of the accel bellows goes through the hole in the metal floorboard and the bottom of the first large bellows sits on top the carpet.  That’s how the original one on my 55 came out FWIW and can’t guarantee a 50 is the same but the design looks identical.  

My car never had a brake pedal grommet on the carpet side so can’t help you there.  My thought was might they go on the engine compartment side and seal the brake rod to the toe board hole when the pedals are up?  On a 55 that’s just a round cup looking seal from a comparative perspective.  

Thank you KAD36, this is very helpful! I an envisioned both of these parts being installed from the passenger compartment side. I am guessing my '50 and your '55 have the bellows and grommets installed in a similar manner. Thank you for the help!

1 hour ago, Kartman01 said:

Hi 1953 Mack, thank you for the information regarding the Master Body Parts Book illustration. My car is a 1950 Super, Model 50 I beleive. Not sure if that is the same as a model 59-79?  Either way, do you have a an illistration of how the parts you mention (insulation, insulating mat, retainers and screws) all go together in an assembly?

Thanks for any help

Kartman, a little info.  ALL Supers are series 50.  Then each body style has a number beginning with the digit 5.   Your station wagon is a 1950 Super Station Wagon Model 59.  The 79 mentioned would be a Roadmaster Station Wagon.

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Kartman, a little info.  ALL Supers are series 50.  Then each body style has a number beginning with the digit 5.   Your station wagon is a 1950 Super Station Wagon Model 59.  The 79 mentioned would be a Roadmaster Station Wagon.

Ben

Thank you Ben! That is what I love about this forum, I always learn something new! Thank you for the insight!

Does anyone know where I might be able to find the  insulation, insulating mat, retainers and screws (Group 15.289) that 1953mack mentions above for a 1950 Model 59 Estate Wagon? 

Are these parts being reproduced by anyone? I did a quick Google search but could not seem to find anything.

Thanks!

On 8/29/2021 at 6:51 AM, Kartman01 said:

. . . do you have a an illistration of how the parts you mention (insulation, insulating mat, retainers and screws) all go together in an assembly? . .  .

The Buick Master Body Parts Books don't have illustrations on the wooden Estate Wagons thru 1953 since they were built by Ionia from four-door sedans.  There was a separate book for the Buick woodies that a Buick woodie owner should have.  

Did you ever think that your "noisy muffler" might be a result of inadequate floor insulation?

1-Scan.jpg.7e874c5362c91a3b2833a019e9f6c19c.jpg

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint" 

• Like 2

The one Al was talking about.  It looks like this... This gives all the breakdown of parts needed for the parts that are specific to the Woodie.

I see nothing about the assemblies you are talking about though.

BTW, I thought we had put Dynamat under the carpets in that car.  Or maybe I should say I paid for dynamite  🙂

.IMG_4821.jpeg.9c26ab1901f047d9ffc1300ade76de61.jpeg

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)

51 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

The one Al was talking about.  It looks like this... This gives all the breakdown of parts needed for the parts that are specific to the Woodie.

I see nothing about the assemblies you are talking about though.

BTW, I thought we had put Dynamat under the carpets in that car.  Or maybe I should say I paid for dynamite  🙂

Thanks Bill, I have not seen this manual with the information I received with the car. Only a 1950 Buick repair manual.  I will try to find a copy of this manual as well as the Master Body Manual on eBay… hopefully be covered either way!

51 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

.IMG_4821.jpeg.9c26ab1901f047d9ffc1300ade76de61.jpeg