1907 Pope Toledo

OobaTooba

Hello, new guy here lover of antique tools and automobiles. Recently was lucky enough to see this Pope at our History Museum car show (it’s first). I’ve lived in Toledo my whole life and haven’t seen one before so I was quite happy to help push it into place, and take some pics. I donated some old ads and pics to the museum, and my UAW hall for Jeepfest 2021. I have a 1910 Overland booklet they scanned for their records, among other things. Enjoy!

*if anyone has a Toledo Pope hubcap I want it👍

260E754A-08F4-40A8-9C58-0F294143F2B0.jpeg

DFCD9CC6-3161-4FD1-A9EF-1E50FD9D07F9.jpeg

E6A258B9-FFE4-4B43-85B1-56C9F63C5D60.jpeg

Very cool! Is it on display regularly? I really like the Toledo area, I visited for the model car show held in Maumee and later Sylvania which ended in 2019. My whole family liked it so much we made it a regular vacation.

• Like 1

I’ll add that the Toledo History Museum is still displaying several items and artifacts relating to our city’s auto history for another few months. There are several signs, letters, parts, ads from Pope to Overland, Milburn, and Craig, Autolite, Champion Spark Plug etc…

• Like 1

Well, that gives me another reason to visit Toledo. Other then antique cars, I also restore antique speedboats. Toledo is home of the Dart Boat Company that made four sizes of speedboats from 1928-31. They used various engines but favored the Curtis OX5 marinized airplane engines which was appreciated by the local rum runners of the time. I’d like to search the local libraries for info on the company. It’s been restarted by a pair of local brothers, the Ramseys, but I’d still like to do some local research.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, pkhammer said:

My cap is considerably different than the one on the 1907. It is heavy, thick brass. I have been told it would be 1909 or earlier.

102_7398.JPG

102_7399.JPG

I am new to this forum, and do not have private message privileges yet, but would be very interested in acquiring one of these dust cover caps. If you or anyone has one can you please message me about it? Thank you!

Just now, OobaTooba said:

I am new to this forum, and do not have private message privileges yet, but would be very interested in acquiring one of these dust cover caps. If you or anyone has one can you please message me about it? Thank you!

It would be 1909 or earlier as that is when John Willys bought the Pope plant and started production of his Overlands. I have a 1910 brochure/booklet. I have lent it to my UAW hall to scan and to the History Museum to display (and also scan for the Toledo Public Library’s records). I also have a few other Pope items like an envelope from the plant, and an 9X12 of workers test driving a line of Popes outside the factory.

Some years ago when the HCCA was a feature at the Iola Old Car Show  a great number of participants passed through my small village on their way to Iola from Stevens Point.

Several stopped at my machine shop where I had a few of my OLD tractors parked outside.

One of the memorable ones who stopped was a fella who was driving his Mitchell but I digress.

A bunch of participants went to the Wisconsin Lions Camp located only two miles away so I had to take off a bit of time to ogle the cars, one of which was a Pope which could have been a Pope Mitchell.

What I most remember about that car is I thought it was the most beautful old car I ever saw and I believe I have never seen another that would change my mind.

• Like 1

Hmm I didn’t realize it was in October. It might be possible for me. I’ve always wanted to go. My dad went a few times in the mid/late ‘70s (mostly to find parts for his ‘34 Plymouth) and I always remember those gigantic chocolate bars he’d bring back for each of us kids👍

A0408266-4557-49C1-AEBC-B4A8B708887C.jpeg

• Like 2