Cost of '27 Chrysler temp gauge repair

Flivverking

I just received my '27 Chrysler G70  temp. gauge back from "Bob's Speedometer Service."

It was sent in for the estimate mid June,and I was called with the  estimate on or about July 12th and gave them the "go-a-head".

Here is the up to date cost of such a repair.

$475.00 labor

$26.00 shipping and insurance.

Total $501.00 

No work was required on the actual gauge unit or face and it came back with most of my protective card barrel intact ,with tape and ties.

Very well packed for the return trip.

The gauge is reading 100 degress now and I just took it in, off the 100 plus a few degrees  glassed in front porch,so think it's with in the spec. limit of 10 degress either way.

My fuel gauge was returned after several weeks (with out notice) from it's estimate as "we can't repair it" and made note "we sent it back free of charge"...(oh big deal )from another firm ."Instrument Services"or something?

This company was recomended by the owner of "TriStarr " who I orginally wanted to have build up a new fuel tank sending unit..which can't be done without a working gauge, old or new to custom match the ohms to.

What bugs me is the returned fuel gauge is, just returned with no detail of really why they couldn't repair it.

One might think"oh! this place just can't do it,so I'll send it out again to another place ,that could repair it?

Easy Peasy.

Well ,with extra long and close examination of the gauge

I see where it had been broken when the "we can't fix it "place had it and it was gray epoxied, like JB weld ,discretely back together.

After this intense study ,the hard to see  inner frame of the gauge that everything mounts to ,is white metal with some stand off posts to hold on the face and half the needle pivots and those were broken and glued back.

This (the white metal base frame) also has buckled up and is pushing 2 copper wound coils up into the face back, enough so the face presses on the needle.

All this is to say ,it would have been very easy for someone just a tiny bit "more stupider" then I(or is it ME?) not to observe this mess and try another repair company.

The dopy company should have  written in the box note that the gauge is just NOT repairable ,probably by anyone ,and why. 

Lucky,that for now the fuel tank filler is easy to sound with a freaken wood stick ,that I can meter mark off as I fill it a gallon at a time.....some day ....soon...maybe?

0827211818a.jpg

Edited by Flivverking (see edit history)

I have used the "Temperature Gauge Guy in Vermont several times. Very reasonable price. Sent the temp gauge to him same time as my ampmeter to Bob's. That was back in April. Recieved it back less than three weeks. Ampmeter is still at Bob's. Last call still had no ETA.