Please ID the car

Steve7.62

This is my Father, 1955 I believe, he wearing his Air Force uniform in the parade, you can just make him out behind the window frame. I think this is a 53 Buick super but it looks like rear wheels have removable panels.  the panel are there for the parade but are missing then he is standing in the door. The Skylark had wheel wells that over the wheels, so it is either a special or super but I can not find a photo either of them having movable panels in 53. Can someone enlighten me?

Image D387.jpg

Image F788.jpg

I'm going with John D & Ben that it's a Special. Supers had separate bolt-on rear fenders that would have a visible bead and a horizontal stainless rear moulding about halfway up the fender that would be very visible in both pictures. Also close inspection of the second pic shows there's a faint horizontal line just above and to the left of the rear wheelwell that Super's didn't have, that smaller Special body shell with that line in it was shared with the 1953 Olds 88s. Aftermarket skirts were popular accessories & Super/Roadmaster V8 hubcaps could be easily swapped. 

Edited by The 55er
Changed a word. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 9:41 AM, Smartin said:

Did they make a Special convertible in 53?

A 1953 FACTS FOR SALESMEN'S booklet doesn't show a SPECIAL MODEL 46C 6-passenger convertible as being built.  

1-Scan.jpg.fccf6d8345dc0a3575d1155726745350.jpg

On 8/27/2021 at 10:25 AM, The 55er said:

Yes, they made 4282 of them. 

The low production number was due to the fact that they were not available when the new-for-1953 Buicks started rolling off the assembly lines. 

If you can only count up to 23, you're in luck. The convertible in question is the narrower SPECIAL Model 46C with the narrower grille . . . 23 vertical teeth . . . in lieu of 25 teeth as seen on the wider SUPER & ROADMASTER Models.  There was a total of 13 (not 12) different 1953 Buick Models offered later-on. 

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I never can understand the difficulty in identifying these cars, the bodies are totally different, the big series have bolt on bulbous rear quarters and the Special a slimmer non bolt on quarter,  the large series have a much more exaggerated body line that mimics the pontoon fenders of the  prior decade. it’s obvious at first glance.  The Supers had the stainless molding across the center of the rear quarters the others do not.   Everyone seems stuck on the Ventiports, the ignorance on a lot of the FB groups is astounding when it comes to Ventipirts and identifying bodies and it’s even in question here sometimes.  It’s painfully obvious at first glance this is a Special and as noted by another it is wearing the big series wire wheel covers instead of the appropriate Special wires.  

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)

On 8/29/2021 at 1:49 AM, Y-JobFan said:

I never can understand the difficulty in identifying these cars

The word I got from the general public has been mixed. Either all Buicks are Roadmasters or all Electras and Deuce N a Quawters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1