Correct spare for 67 GS?

Chimera

Hi Gabe,

Lol...boy, that had me going for awhile...I had to take a very close look at the pic, not 100% sure due to the poor pic, but that may be an original red line wide oval tire with the redline (which is no longer red) turned "in" on the rim. Unfortunately, that is a Firestone tire and I cant date code it...if it was a Goodyear tire I could date code it for you.

Tom Mooney

• Thanks 1

The tire originally looked like this:

66 riv gs original spare redline wade isom.jpg

67 riv gs redline cars mag oct 67.jpeg

The Firestone version was labeled Super Sport Wide Oval and the Goodyear version was called Speedway Wide Tread.

Tom

P.S. Oooops..just realized the top pic of the actual tire above is the `66 version of the Firestone redline. The scallops on the sidewall are different as compared to `67 and the overall profile is radically different as compared to the `67 wide oval, but for the purpose of illustrating the redline, it is accurate.

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JZRIV said:

I can't tell if its an H70. If its not then not correct.  In 67 Didn't the H70 whitewall come standard with GS option? The redline was optional. I have seen original H70 redlines but can't say I recall ever seeing an H70 white line

Hi Jason,

You would know the `67`s better than I, and I would also like to know the size designation, but my understanding is the standard tire with the GS option was still an 8:45 X 15 triple band whitewall. The redline tire was a no cost substitution and the size designation was an H70 "Wide Oval". Starting in Feb `67, the radial tire became available in a whitewall but the size designation was 225R X 15. I dont know what size the whitewall was on the radial tire as I`ve never seen one....but the tire Gabe pictured is a Firestone Super Sport Wide Oval as seen in the lower left of the pic...the wide oval insignia appears in a semi circle between the words Super and Sport.

There was a `67 service bulletin describing a "checking" issue on Firestone redlines so it wouldnt surprise me that the red has faded on the tire Gabe pictured.

Anyone have a pic of an original `67 radial tire? Or `68?

Tom

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2021 at 2:28 PM, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Jason,

You would know the `67`s better than I, and I would also like to know the size designation, but my understanding is the standard tire with the GS option was still an 8:45 X 15 triple band whitewall. The redline tire was a no cost substitution and the size designation was an H70 "Wide Oval". Starting in Feb `67, the radial tire became available in a whitewall but the size designation was 225R X 15. I dont know what size the whitewall was on the radial tire as I`ve never seen one....but the tire Gabe pictured is a Firestone Super Sport Wide Oval as seen in the lower left of the pic...the wide oval insignia appears in a semi circle between the words Super and Sport.

There was a `67 service bulletin describing a "checking" issue on Firestone redlines so it wouldnt surprise me that the red has faded on the tire Gabe pictured.

Anyone have a pic of an original `67 radial tire? Or `68?

Tom

You are correct Tom, of course. For some reason I thought all 67 GS's got a wide oval in white or red. Probably an old piece of inaccurate info that stuck. The whitewall on GS was definitely the triple stripe 8.45.  Never seen a 67 or 68 radial but would like to. If there is one out there it should be in a museum!

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered my 67GS in NOV. 1966. It was delivered Dec. 1966. The GS came with your choice of Firestone Oval RED or WHITE line tire. The line was 3/8 inch. My car is at the top of opening page of the  ROA  form.  I still have the car.  It is on U TUBE. Look for 1967 Buick Rivera GS  Original Owner. It was also in the Riview Vol. 32,No. 1  January / February 2016.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jerry67 said:

I ordered my 67GS in NOV. 1966. It was delivered Dec. 1966. The GS came with your choice of Firestone Oval RED or WHITE line tire. The line was 3/8 inch. My car is at the top of opening page of the  ROA  form.  I still have the car.  It is on U TUBE. Look for 1967 Buick Rivera GS  Original Owner. It was also in the Riview Vol. 32,No. 1  January / February 2016.

So Jerry, did your car come equipped with a wide oval single white line tire or red. Nice Video and story.  

Here is the link to the youtube video 

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2021 at 10:28 AM, Seafoam65 said:

You can tell that it is an original tire right off the bat by how far the whiteline is from the center of the wheel. they only made

tires like that in 1967 and part of 1968  ........never made before or since.

Right out there where it’s easy to run up against a curb.

Awesome Gabriel. Now we know for sure the standard H70 for the GS was a single white and the same size line as red. I have never seen an original H70 white until you posted above pics.

Can anyone decode that date in 4th pic down? 41st week of 1966 perhaps????