A Screw Up That Really Shows!

Hudsy Wudsy

They are especially pretty cars when stock. I don't know if any of you guys remember our talking about a green one a couple of years back. It sold for premium dollars and then got shipped to Europe. I sure hope someone can return this one to an appropriate length frame.

1941-DeSoto-Coupe.jpg

59 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

If you read the ad written on the Facebook portion it looks like maybe the guy selling it didn’t build it. Maybe. That ad sounds almost apologetic about the whole thing.  Different price as well.  Still ridiculous but not as much. 

I was thinking the same thing

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 6:51 PM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

They are especially pretty cars when stock. I don't know if any of you guys remember our talking about a green one a couple of years back. It sold for premium dollars and then got shipped to Europe. I sure hope someone can return this one to an appropriate length frame.

1941-DeSoto-Coupe.jpg

Me thinks you would do a smashing job!!  Go for it.

Ben

Don't get me wrong. The fact that the seller isn't responsible is clear. It still is a screw up of remarkable proportions. At the root of it is the silly notion that something, in this case the DeSoto frame and suspension, is so old that it has to be replaced without question. Don't get me started with people who think Hudson wet clutches and all six volt systems need to be thrown away.

• Like 1

1941-early 1949 Chrysler Royal and Windsor plus all DeSotos are all 121.5 inch wheelbase.  Other than the larger displacement Chrysler six cylinder engine 250 vs 236, another Mopar chassis should be easy enough to source.  Chrysler was expert at packaging a lot of commonality into their various makes.   The difference in displacements was achieved by stroke so either engine would fit just fine.

Edited by 58L-Y8
Mopar 236 vs 250 same bore, different stroke (see edit history)

17 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

ee5907b9ec4b5c6f9ea7124d6ea87872.jpg

My gosh, that thing was hideous, wasn't it. Still, an influential race car. Before ramchargers, most hot rodders lowered their cars. After the ramchargers team gained prominence, rodders started jacking up their cars.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 4:58 PM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Here's a link to a Facebook ad for a '41 DeSoto three window coupe that is for sale in Morris, IL. Some idiot thought that they could transplant that beautiful body onto just any old Chevy frame, but they didn't ponder the substantial wheelbase difference:

I like hot rods as well as restorations, but either should be done well.  If there's anything good about that car, it's that the body appears unmolested, complete and in good shape.  Maybe it could be restored or skillfully rodded.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

If the Ramchargers original coupe is still around and certified it could be on the Hershey show field. 

Bob 

ee5907b9ec4b5c6f9ea7124d6ea87872.jpg

Wasn't there a replica built a while back - maybe by Hot Rod magazine?

• Like 1