What's The Slowest Car You've Owned? Did You Enjoy It?

58L-Y8

My first car, bought for $25 in 1964.  1946 Morris 10 Series M saloon.  Absolute flat out top speed 62 mph.  Standing quarter mile 26 seconds, 48 mph.  Zero to 60 43 seconds.  Fun to drive?  Absolutely!  Wish I still had it.🙂

Edited by dictator27 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

This can be a fun subject, Steve.  Let's hope some forum-goers

will delve into the earliest cars, so we can learn what

it's like to drive them.  Here's a circa-1900 Haynes-Apperson

ad which proudly proclaimed that the owner could be

"speeding away at 15 miles per hour!"

1900 circa Haynes Apperson edited.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve noticed as I get older, I really appreciate different cars for their unique character. The slow pace of early cars or the brutality of big cubic inch muscle cars. I’ve explained it to the wife as follows. Cars are like shoes, different styles for every occasion and season. She still doesn’t quite get the car hobby but she certainly understands the shoe analogy! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My 1979 Lincoln Mark V that I currently own. It's a gorgeous, all original car that rides like a dream, but at 137 HP, it was dangerously slow. I did have some invisible mods done to it that helped some, and now it can at least get out of its own way and accelerate into traffic on the on ramp.

NsThx5C.jpg

• Like 6

I havent really had a 'slow' car, maybe a Honda civic sedan. It didnt have a lot of umph.  When I got my license dad had just traded his gas guzzling 78 Olds 98 for a brand new 79 VW dasher diesel.  I started driving with the VW. That things top speed was about 50mph, and that would be going head first over a cliff. Total pos.  He had that car for about 2 months then traded it on an audi 5000.  It was just slightly quicker.

1970 VW van with a 1600cc 4 cylinder. It was like driving a chest freezer in the winter time. Terribly under powered but for some reason I liked and enjoyed driving it. Probably the only vehicle that my wife almost refused to drive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rusty_OToole said:

1962 VW beetle with 36HP motor. High school ride

You are correct.  I had a 60 that I drove to college for 4 years in Iowa.  Tires were bald but it would still go through snow better than most cars.  Slowest was a old Chevy coupe, 37 or 38 I think

• Like 1

Borrowed a friends diesel rabbit pick up once.

It was faster with the windows up.

Couldn't pass a slow truck on the freeway because it couldn't over come the wind. 

But I guess it got 50 mpg or so.

He made the mistake of putting a ski rack on it once. It took him awhile to figure out why it had seemed to have lost power.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Model A Ford.  Actually it was surprisingly quick off the line (as symbolized by the authorized accessory "quail" radiator cap) due to the high (numerically) gears.  But it started working hard and slowed down around 30 mph.  Supposedly top end was 65 but I never had the testicular fortitude to drive it that fast.  So it was limited to in-town driving, but it was fun - an attention-getter and fiddling with the various controls while driving kept me occupied

• Like 1

My 1921 Franklin 9B touring. Recommended top speed of 37mph (otherwise you can screw up the Babbit bearings).

It's a real time machine. When I drive it I'm in another, slower world. It loves the Texas back roads where traffic is still relatively light. Takes concentration to drive but it's very relaxing. 

IMG_1326.jpg

• Like 7

Slowest, but most fun to sport around in in good weather, was a rusty 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente convertible.  I thought it was a 200 ci six when I bought it but turned out to be the base 170 ci, mated to the two-speed Merc-O-Matic automatic transmission.   Glacial acceleration but fun as all get out with the top down all summer, lousy heater and drafty in the winter.  Good in snow because it didn't have enough power to spin the tires much.  WNY rust eventually got it, doors would pop open when I rounded a corner.  RIP old Comet, you were fun while you lasted.

1986 Isuzu Trooper. 80hp carb engine. They were really small horses. Once got passed in Western Maryland mountains by a loaded dump truck going up Sidling Hill. Should have paid more attention on the test drive.

However. It hauled my stuff to Hershey multiple years; and converted into a very cheap hotel room in the Chocolate field! The diesel versions of the same year were even slower.

I guess my slowest car is a tie... two little English Fords with the tiny little flat-head 4 cylinder. Both would do right at 60 mph going down a fairly steep hill with the "Strangler" (pull a choke looking knob that opened a slot in the carb to help starting with a richer mixture) pulled out ! We put a lot of miles on both of them, and even used the little van (a 1959 Thames) to pull fence and other cars with... these vehicles had rear gears in the "5's" !!!  Absolutely loved both of them, and would have kept them if we could have. (moved and storage problems). The little black car (1959 Popular) was also right hand drive which was even more fun !  I decided to paint and "fix up" the 59 Pop, and it was so much fun because folks figured it was fast with the big wheels on it, ha ! It is still living a happy life over on Oahu with a collector who has other versions of the little cars.

lil tim.jpg

DSCN4549 - Copy.JPG

DSCN1918 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Byrd said:

I decided to paint and "fix up" the 59 Pop, and it was so much fun because folks figured it was fast with the big wheels on it, ha !

And maybe because those Pops were "popular" (😁) in the 60s gasser wars.

• Like 1

My 27 hp 3/4 ton Dodge panel is rated at no more than 25 mph with a load. It's not road worthy yet but when I get there, I'm sure I'll be grinning ear to ear.

Prior to that it was a toss up between a mid 60's Dart that I bought for $50 and a 66 Chevy with a tired 283  rust bucket.

My wife's 80 vette came in at a close third. Chevette...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, John Byrd said:

I guess my slowest car is a tie... two little English Fords with the tiny little flat-head 4 cylinder. Both would do right at 60 mph going down a fairly steep hill with the "Strangler" (pull a choke looking knob that opened a slot in the carb to help starting with a richer mixture) pulled out ! The little black car (1959 Popular) was also right hand drive which was even more fun !  I decided to paint and "fix up" the 59 Pop, and it was so much fun because folks figured it was fast with the big wheels on it, ha ! It is still living a happy life over on Oahu with a collector who has other versions of the little cars.

DSCN4549 - Copy.JPG

What's funny is the M-1 Motorway in England opened in 1959, which was their first equivilant of the Autobahn in Germany, or the Interstate.    It had a max. speed limit of 80mph upon opening, and there very few British cars that could do 80 mph all day in 1959.  Jaguar, Austin Healey (with OD), Rolls-Royce, Bentley, and Aston Martin could do 80, but they were not common cars for the common folk at the time.  

Perhaps that was the reason the prewar-based Popular had its final year in 1959.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

1982 Volvo 240 Diesel with an automatic transmission.  Over 3000 pounds and only about 80 horsepower.  You'd floor it and the car wouldn't really do anything.  Fine car for its day, until you needed to merge onto traffic.

Here's someone on Youtube doing an acceleration test on an '83 model: 0-55 in 30 seconds, brings back memories.

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, greenie said:

1986 Isuzu Trooper. 80hp carb engine. They were really small horses. Once got passed in Western Maryland mountains by a loaded dump truck going up Sidling Hill. Should have paid more attention on the test drive.

However. It hauled my stuff to Hershey multiple years; and converted into a very cheap hotel room in the Chocolate field! The diesel versions of the same year were even slower.

I forgot about dads Trooper II.  Not sure of the year but it was probably around '86, 2 door model. And yes that thing was SLOW. With the aerodynamics of a pizza box.  About as basic as it could get. All plastic on the inside, stick shift. He did run that thing for years though.

Does a car that hasn't run in well over a century count? I was thrilled when I bought it a decade ago, unfortunately, my circumstances changed shortly after and I haven't been able to do any restoration work on it.

It is a blacksmith built, purpose built automobile chassis with light wagon axles and wheels with cushion "tires" (unusual combination). Sixty inch track, sixty inch wheelbase highwheeler. The gasoline engine is a single cylinder, four inch bore, eight inch stoke. Built to be very light in weight (relatively speaking), but powerful. Belt drive transmission with no reverse, chains to the rear wheels. I would estimate the top speed would be between twelve and fifteen miles per hour. Numerous elements of the engine are very early design, and likely may have been built before 1900.

The Ford TT truck I had years ago with its original overdrive on a good day would do 40 mph. My very stock (even had cast iron pistons!) 1916 T center-door sedan was twice clocked at 50 mph (I usually drove it between 40 & 45). (Wish I still had that center-door sedan!) The 1924 T coupe I used to have would do 45.

• Like 2

The slowest car I have owned is my current 1926 Ford Model T Fordor sedan. That car is an absolute delight to drive but due to the weight of it (probably due to all the glass in it) the Fordor is at least 7-10 MPH slower than my 1913 Ford Touring. 

Honorable mention would have to go to a 1974 Peugeot 504 gas powered, with an automatic that my family owned when I was in high school. Let's just say I was concerned that glaciers would catch me if we had another ice age.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1