6-volt long skinny batteries getting hard to get

Dynaflash8

I just went to buy a new battery for my 1939 Buick today, and only one auto parts store could supply one...Advanced Auto Parts.  Even NAPA could not supply a fresh battery and O'Reilly could not supply one at all.  These are the long, skinny, six volt batteries Buick used for years and years.  I guess it is just part of the general overall decline in the U.S. markets.

I switched to Optima many year back for a couple of reasons..... availibity,  life,  and I had to have help putting the original type in the car.  

I showed the car (but not in BCA 400 point judging)  to hide the bright red top of the optima,  I found a black plastic trash can that could be cut down and fit over the battery'

I cut holes for the battery terminals,  and that little battery turned that big 320 engine over like a charm.    I was only getting 1 year life out of the original style batteries and the last Optima 

lasted 5 years.    

Not a great photo but here was my method of hiding that Optima

DSCN1435.JPG

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As Matt noted, I've also used Tractor Supply, both for 6V, and for 12V.

NAPA here does keep fresh 12V in stock, as well

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 5:11 PM, Dynaflash8 said:

These are the long, skinny, six volt batteries Buick used for years and years.

When you think about it Buick used the long battery from 1938 to 1953, 15 years with an interruption for a war. So 67 years after they were discontinued is a pretty good run of availability even if they stopped today.

I occasionally buy one, and last year got one at a local battery vendor who sells nothing but batteries.  I have also checked at Advanced Auto and the local Interstate guy as well as Tractor Supply and they’ve all said if they dont have it, they can get one in a few days.

Mine seem to last two or three years.  Hopefully the supply issue is just one of people not wanting to show up for work and that will work itself out.  I know the group 2e is almost impossible to find so I switched to the group 3e which is stronger but slightly taller.  I just use a longer j-bolt for the tie-down.  Nobody knows unless there is a sharp-eyed judge looking at my car.

Edited by Century Eight (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed the "3E" series from NAPA would seemingly run itself down more quickly in the last few years of buying them. Running a trickle charger during winter to keep it topped off helped extend them noticeably. 

Batteries are one of those things like gas in the tank - you kind of need whatever works. I'm not running 1953 gas, either. Want to deduct a point for that too? Sure. Knock yourself out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I go to Interstate Batteries for my '38 Special.  They make the same package that the Buick used originally - told me it is referred to as a "combine battery".  Picture the long skinny engine compartment of a combine, I guess.  The first battery I had for my Buick came from one of the Buick parts guys (it was 30 years ago, so I won't mention the name or continue to hold it against them).  It did not last.  The CCA of that battery was in the neighborhood of 350 CCA, while the Interstate is available in something like 650 CCA.  They have lasted me for years.  I peel off the label and it looks appropriate as well.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2021 at 4:51 PM, JBP said:

I noticed the "3E" series from NAPA would seemingly run itself down more quickly in the last few years of buying them. Running a trickle charger during winter to keep it topped off helped extend them noticeably. 

Batteries are one of those things like gas in the tank - you kind of need whatever works. I'm not running 1953 gas, either. Want to deduct a point for that too? Sure. Knock yourself out. 

I get about 2 years out of a 3E

The Interstate distribution centers usually carry a stock of what they call Blems. I have been buying them since the early 1990's and never noticed any major blemishes. I call our local center from time to time to check on Group 27 and Group 24 blems. Last year they had some 27's come in so I bought two. $45 exchange, not bad.

About two weeks ago the Interstate blem in my '60 Electra failed. I think I put it in around 2011.. Popped in the new one and off I went.

Give them a call. A 3E could easily come up as a blem. Although I did buy a new first grade 3E from them for a '48 Packard I had.

The guys at the Rochester, NY Interstate Center couldn't be friendlier. Always the best service. And they sell a whole range of household batteries at good prices, too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had to buy a new long skinny 6 volt battery for my 1953 Pontiac yesterday at my local NAPA store, they had it in stock on the shelf. The cost was $145. This is the third battery I bought for the car, the current one was 3 1/2 years old, the last two each lasted 4-5 years. And I got a free classic car calendar.

IMG_0304.JPG

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've had a similar experience with my old motorcycle, and finding the right battery was a challenge. It's amazing how technology has evolved, and now we're dealing with entirely different power needs. If you're still on the hunt, it might be worth considering the 96R car battery. While it's not exactly the same, with a bit of adaptation, it could work well for your classic beauty. I've heard some vintage car enthusiasts have successfully made the switch to more modern batteries without compromising the authenticity too much.

Edited by robidereck (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I  bought one recently from N A P A .  Good tip about  Tractor supply . My mechanic for my old Caddy said he couldn't find a 6 volt battery  for it. He put in an 8 volt battery in that are used in golf carts instead .A little extra zip in the starter and it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

I got eight years out of the last Interstate battery in my six-volt '53 Special.  I noticed that the ammeter was reading high, so I replaced it, but it was still starting the car just fine.  I have a distribution center in town that fills them with solution when you buy them.  I've had the car for almost 20 years, and this is only the third battery I've bought...so far so good.

Edited by Aaron65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 5:32 PM, MCHinson said:

Tractor Supply typically has them in stock anytime. Apparently there are more 6 volt tractors out there that still use them than there are old cars out there that use them.

Some Tractors use 2 of these 6's in series so the system is 12 Volt. John Deere Diesel tractors were that way in the 60's and 70's. A lot of farmers don't want anything to do with these new connected to a satellite tractors and rightly so. Instead they keep rebuilding the old and reliable ones that do the same job and don't cost anywhere near as much. This is why these batteries are available at TSC. 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Last battery I got for my 53 Special was from Tractor Supply.  Listed as a 3EH and just slightly taller than the older 2E and the price was fair.   Claims to have 875 Cold Cranking Amps and at 5 years old still going strong.   I always put it on the Battery Tender after each use until the green light comes on and then I disconnect it from the Tender.  I have a heavy-duty cutoff switch on the negative side.   Cables are all 00 gauge.   Since I just converted to LED bulbs including the headlights, I see no need to convert to 12 volts or the dreaded 8-volt route.

I think if you have a good engine in tune and correct gauge battery cables you are in good shape unless you have starter or other issues.

Joe, BCA 33493 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought my second NAPA battery, I'll try to avoid using a third from them. The first one lasted about 2 months past the 12 month warranty. I went back thinking I had a 2 year warranty and they were absolute jerks about me proving that I bought the battery from them. I bought the battery online and showed him my emailed receipt. He said he needed paper. I started to question why they send them electronically if they aren't willing to accept them for returns. Once I was able to prove that I bought the battery, the guy calmed down a bit. He confided that NAPA is brutal on the individual stores about taking back batteries without receipts. If this one only lasts a year, I won't buy from them again. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2023 at 11:12 AM, drhach said:

I just bought my second NAPA battery, I'll try to avoid using a third from them. The first one lasted about 2 months past the 12 month warranty. I went back thinking I had a 2 year warranty and they were absolute jerks about me proving that I bought the battery from them. I bought the battery online and showed him my emailed receipt. He said he needed paper. I started to question why they send them electronically if they aren't willing to accept them for returns. Once I was able to prove that I bought the battery, the guy calmed down a bit. He confided that NAPA is brutal on the individual stores about taking back batteries without receipts. If this one only lasts a year, I won't buy from them again. 

I wouldn’t buy from them period.