1932 Desoto SC32 Roadster- Not Mine

Screenshot_20210818-151406_Chrome.jpg.bcb76aa05c2f291d427075a7852a20d4.jpghttps://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/desoto/unspecified/2508722.html

Not mine, found in Hemmings:

A 1932 Desoto Roadster, 22,500, not running, but very neat style and good appearance. Very overpriced but for kicks, it would be a fun car to own and drive. Someone has primed over the original black paint and wire wheel cleaned the running gear. If this were more reasonably priced, say under 10K, it would make a fun hobby car to bang around in.

Edited by supercub (see edit history)
  • Like 4

32 Desoto is a great car because of the grill and styling.  Sort of like the 34 Lasalle.  It is a one year only thing.  I'm sure condition is not great but would love to have one that someone else poured their life savings into.  Not me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

32 Desoto is a great car because of the grill and styling.  Sort of like the 34 Lasalle.  It is a one year only thing.  I'm sure condition is not great but would love to have one that someone else poured their life savings into.  Not me.

AJ:

Both 1932 and 1933 DeSotos have that grille styling, the 1933 has the inward curved bumper and the vertical splits on the headlights like an Auburn.  The choicest body style would be the Custom 2dr convertible sedan which are a quarter-window convertible victoria.  Only 275 1932 and 132 1933 of each style and model year built.  Chrysler listed the same body style in the six cylinder 1932 CI and !933 CO.  If a DeSoto someone has dumped the family fortune into turns up for sale, grab it!

Steve

• Thanks 2

lot of Incorrect parts, wrong carb, driver door handle a Chrysler not Desoto six, one hubcap spare wheel incorrect, the dash was either changed as something is wrong the 32 PB Roadster has Instrument cluster in the middle centered dash as does all others so maybe that was changed out, Big project as whoever was into this really did not do it any justice.

My guess in this shape 8800-10800

Your car alsancle !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Love it.  If it goes down the road it's got to do better than $10k.  Lower windshield is nice and not too big or small, or so obscure parts would kill you.  Mid Teens at least, imho.

Yep.  The car is sexy, it may have some things wrong with it, but it has a bunch of things right.  

I know the mention of all the shortcomings the car has are meant to be educational but it reminds me of our buddy Larry from high school. We’d  mention some girl as being hot........  Larry would point out that she had a slightly large nose, a lazy eye, didn’t dress too stylish, he would go on and on until one of us said shut up and punched him. 

The suggestion that it is a 8-10k car only makes sense if it doesn’t run due to a terminal engine problem.  That grill, raked windshield, side mounts, and look of the car from a 3/4 front view......it has a lot going for it. 

at 8-10 grand you’d have interested parties lined up around the block. I’d be one of them. The add says 22,500 Firm. 

I don’t like the word Firm, and New Mexico isn’t helping either.  If it runs without serious mechanical flaws, someone will be happy with it in the mid teens. 

• Like 3

Im sure this car has been kept alive and been customized through the years with the abundance of used parts from junkyards and parts cars that were everywhere back in the day. Surely the car would be a big project to make roadworthy but all the while, the coolness of the looks would carry one through until the magic moment comes and she is put in motion. If the windshield hinges down that would be neat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supercub said:

https://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=46319&country=us

Here is one that was for sale in NJ in 2017. Looks original but in poor condition. From searching around, most of them had been made into hot rods.

There was a lengthy thread on the NJ car 10 years ago.   It was for sale a long time.   If I recall correctly,  the seller was on here and slightly ornery.

That thread was deleted - probably by the ornery seller.   He was taking some flak.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

I forgot to note it seems AJ is taking his usual 10% whitewall tire deduction. 😉

Would love to see it restored, but if a restorer won't do better than 8 or 10k, I bet a rodder would.  Happens with As a lot.  You see guys hemming and hawing on a $10k coupe.  "Older restoration, well, maybe he will take $7k."  Then Mr. Rodder then scoops it for asking and is happy to not have to weld a rotbox back together.  Who can blame seller if he can better his price by 30, 40% in this case?

I think it's a smaller group but surely someone would find this an attractive restoration project?

It is attractive and it doesnt have to be restored as original to be a fun car, just go through it and make it roadworthy, keeping with the vintage hot rod style that the PE was going after. Hopefully the PE has a pile of parts that came off of it, like the radiator. I like the black interior work that was done, it lends to the British styling that it has. I think this car beats an MG TD in looks and probably performance also.

I don’t want to hijack this thread, but think about how the pursuit of a car like this (where you aren’t sure exactly what you are getting )would’ve been just a generation ago. You would have called and talked to the guy on his landline and ask for pictures. He would mail you some pictures, while you wait for 3 weeks to get them, that might’ve been recent, or 18 years earlier. Based off that you might decide to get your money together and pull your trailer 1500 miles to go visit the car to find out that it was nothing like it was represented. Now we have cell phones, FaceTime, YouTube videos that could be posted and shared, 

when I see cars listed in rural Idaho, or New Mexico like this one, I immediately have a negative bias because it isn’t easy to perhaps go see the car in person. And yet we have it so much better than our dads and granddads did pursuing leads on cars back in the day.

It looks small, that's what's nice about it. A sleek vintage country road racer to be driven like hell, with some long hair flying out of the cockpit from the shotgun side.

Kind of 20 Indy dirt track racer size. Thats probably what the guy was after. Easy enough to disassemble the whole thing and sort it out. The engine could be a standard Dodge or Plymouth that could be swapped if needed, but chances are this engine can be brought back to life.

This type of car seems ideally like a local deal that would be few hours drive away for way way less than the asking price for me anyway. Maybe a collector would want it to restore to perfection for cost of 30K and get over his head but he may not care because it will be restored in the goodly proper way, and the money spent, well, he cant take it with him.

I recall(1966)  breezing along at 45mph over the Golden Gate bridge from San Fransisco to Sacramento just as in a newer car .It was not the fastest ride for that car.

50/55 was the self imposed safe limit and motor humming, from memory.

..70 was probably possible,but why?

Though it did sport a yellow "Spirit of Saint Louis "airplane radiator cap..

For many years, a 32 Desoto roadster was a “hot” item. They sold for a fair amount of money. At 112 inch chassis length............I wouldn’t even consider it. Great style, decent around town driver, but tiny. I’m surprised that a street rod guy hasn’t scooped it up to hack it.............it would be a cool ride in that part of the car world.