Let's brainstorm some alternatives to the tin can on a string for the golfcart folks!

md murray

Just having some fun here. I realize this is one of the genuine sights and sounds of Hershey but I think you'll admit that the charm wears off so to speak after about day 3!  Car people are industrious and creative folks by nature and I would hate to see any of them selling themselves short-surely there's something out there better than a can on a string!😉

here's a fun suggestion:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/weaver-leather-arctic-sleigh-bell-door-hanger-twelve-nickel-plated-bells-1267017?cm_mmc=feed-_-GoogleShopping-_-Product-_-1267017&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo42EwaS78gIVCqGzCh1EBwOuEAkYBiABEgJMcfD_BwE

a nice string of sleigh bells!

• Like 1

The sleigh bells sound (pun) like a good idea. Very similar in sound to my favorite of what some use now, dragging an old wrench. Different size wrench gives a different tone so maybe 2 or 3 different size would make a good tune.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tie  the ones that do that too the carts , They could talk loud . The can people think we should all get out of there way . Are they better than the rest of us ?

• Like 1

So let me give you a couple of perspectives:

1.  You cannot judge a person's handicap by sight.  Some people genuinely have handicaps that are not obvious.

2.  Many carts are used by those putting on the event as they have to travel the fields multiple times per days dealing with problems and logistics

I do not use tin cans but I can tell you that I do have an official's cart that I HATE to use.  Why?  People are walking around with no regard to their surroundings and will walk right in front of you.  People will yell out your name and if you react, you may turn your head and hit someone.  Traffic is always an issue especially with cars and trucks occasionally in the mix.  It is no fun, at least for me.  This year, I am facing multiple hip and knee operations and will have no choice but to use a cart more often...NOT looking forward to it.

So the tin cans, which I also hate are in some cases a protection for all.  No easy solution with an event this size, an older population who need mobility devices and the mix of folks in the flea market.

I guess it does serve a purpose, we have something to complain about during the best week of the year! :)  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I don't really care about the carts as long as you get off the cart when you want to go look at something. I'm tired of guys trying to maneuver their scooters too close to my cars to get a look. If you can't walk ten feet, you probably shouldn't be buying or driving an elderly vehicle.

Most modern electric cars have a built-in speaker underneath somewhere that makes noise so pedestrians can hear them coming. I know that on many Teslas, the sound can be changed (a friend has his set to George Jetson's flying car sound). My wife's electric car makes a sound like a nuclear reactor or a spaceship and it changes pitch as the car accelerates. While Audi claims it's for safety, I'm pretty sure they did it just to make it sound cool.

Not that we could add speakers to the carts, but I joked with Melanie that there has to be a hack somewhere that allows us to change that sound on her car and that I'd like to change it to the dragging tin can sound.

She was not amused.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I know it would be a lot of work but most of the businesses I go in that have forklift use, have a designated foot path so people and the lifts don’t mix as much. To be honest, it’s just not the carts either. I see groups of people chatting right in the middle of a busy area and often they act like they can’t hear or see others, blocking the way both for foot traffic and auto/cart traffic. So it comes down to the worse factor of any situation, people. Everyone wants a solution and almost everyone is to blame at one time or another. Perhaps a simple fix is for us to be more conscious of walking in a straight line, close to the vendors so auto traffic can use the middle of the lane, not congregating in the middle of a congested way, and just being more courteous to others. Nah, it ain’t going to happen as people won’t change!

Edited by chistech (see edit history)

Chris

Your last two sentences say it all, COURTESY . If you want to have that shown to you then you have to show it to others - Won't happen , to many  people think they are the supreme being . Sad commentary on the current attitude and for all of us who do indeed want to have a good experience and expect others to have respect for us like we do for them. Matt has it right Get off the cart.

Walt

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 6

While I recognize and respect any person’s legitimate use of a mobility device; the reality is they are traveling in an area intended for pedestrians on foot. It is expected that those on foot will meander back and forth across the swap meet field.

Those persons using a motorized device within the swap meet field MUST be vigilant for the safety of those on foot; and MUST grant the “right of way” to pedestrians in every instance. Equal access doesn’t mean equal use.

• Like 8

Handicap carts don’t bother me that much, low wagons that are below my field of a vision cause me more problems when I try to walk behind someone and almost trip over them. Short flags that are at eye level or something else sticking up would be nice.

Looking forward to having such problems again. 🙂

• Like 2

This will be the first year I rent a Scooter Bug. I have a HC card and didn't need

that to rent. I've seen and heard the tin cans @ Hershey. I never thought that the

rider was pushing walkers out of the way, just a safety warning of a vehicle nearby

like a bicycle with a bell. I will not have the scooter on Saturday.

From the experienced scooter riders, any tips on traveling through the vendor and car coral.

Travel in the same direction as walkers or opposite? This 'GET OFF THE CART", I'm assuming

to travel in the middle lane and if you want to get a closer look is to pull over and leave room

for the walkers to move easily between the scooter and vendor and not block the middle for

other scooters. I'm looking to get the info on the unspoken scooter courtesy. 

Are there alternatives other than the tin can or travel quietly giving walkers right of way

and if I need to pass announcing Excuse Me?

All opinions and complaints are greatly appreciated. see you in October.

Bob V

• Like 1

A change of this magnitude would require too much retraining.  I have to remain pro-can! 😁

Also, patience with scooters guys.  At 57, I feel lucky to physically feel 37 more often than 77, especially at Hershey.  But remember anyone of us may need one some day. 🤔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This will be Hershey # 56 for me and #23 for my son ( he had to miss 4 years due to college classes). I recall when there were no devices to ride about on because all the fields of flea market ( "fields of Dreams?" ) were not paved but grass (or just dirt and weeds) !  The era when the White field was an airport landing strip ( north side of Hersheypark Drive) that a friend who lived near by me on long island was a pilot would fly his single engine airplane to the event and land there.  In the era Bill Harrah and his crew would have a van there with a working kitchen that I was expected to visit for lunch with him.  Austin Clark would rent a motor lodge that would act as a place for friends to sit and relax, warm up from the cold weather - was the biggest rolling bar with adult beverages in the flea market.

WG

• Like 5

What is the standard aisle width at Hershey across from stalls?  

For a start, I'll make a motion for carts to only go ONE WAY down each aisle, alternating.  No two-way traffic for carts.  That should give the incentive for one to get off their cart if they have to walk back a few yards to look at something.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

+1 on this "I'll make a motion for carts to only go ONE WAY down each aisle, alternating."

Should be easy putting up one way signs. How about all traffic going one way, of course 

2 way on main streets. They did it for the food stores during Covid 19.

Great idea Craig

Bob V

Edited by Bimmerboy (see edit history)

On 9/9/2021 at 8:52 AM, Bimmerboy said:

+1 on this "I'll make a motion for carts to only go ONE WAY down each aisle, alternating."

Should be easy putting up one way signs. How about all traffic going one way, of course 

2 way on main streets. They did it for the food stores during Covid 19.

Great idea Craig

Bob V

In forward or reverse?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chistech said:

I’m just happy Hershey is going on this year. I’ll take with the carts, scooters, and tin cans on strings!

I think instead of hearing those tin-cans as simply obnoxious noises, think of them as the sound of jingling cash!

Terry

• Like 2

Looking forward to my 50th Hershey having only missed two, not counting 2020, the year that wasn't.  Tin cans, golf cars, wagons  and crowds all make for that Hershey experience.  Who really cares as long as you're at the Hershey Meet?

Hank Feinberg

AACA Lifer

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My vote is to only allow golf carts for officials and only allow single and double seat mobility scooters for those that need them. They are much cheaper than golf carts and most insurance plans pay for them or most of the cost. I bought a good used one that originally sold for close to 3k for 400 bucks for a friend. It was a higher end model. Most events rent them as well. I'd rather get run down by a mobility scooter than a golf cart. 

On the cans and chains dragging? It's obnoxious as all out and I vote to ban them. Carts and scooters need to yield to foot peds. 

I attend many large events throughout the year. Golf carts and side by sides are a fast growing liability issue. 

Earl

Edited by mopar_earl (see edit history)
  • Like 1

How many remember the tram at Carlisle? It was a leftover from one of the Atlantic Ocean resorts. They also had a London double-decker bus that would take you into town for shopping or dinner. The bus has been gone for decades, the tram for several years. I have little doubt the HERCO corporate attorneys would veto the idea, sadly.

17 hours ago, greenie said:

How many remember the tram at Carlisle? It was a leftover from one of the Atlantic Ocean resorts. They also had a London double-decker bus that would take you into town for shopping or dinner. The bus has been gone for decades, the tram for several years. I have little doubt the HERCO corporate attorneys would veto the idea, sadly.

They still run the tram at the Chrysler show at Carlisle. 

Earl

• 2 weeks later...

Ban the golf carts and get in a fleet of these.

Local high schoolers can be paid to apply the motive power, and you can have the extra fun of preventing Sears high-wheel owners from removing parts off your ride. 

2DD62FFD-926F-4601-A814-1D7980FE8775.jpeg

• Like 2

You can please some of the people all of the time and

all of the people some of the time.

After 50 consecutive years of Hershey I'm just glad to be going back.

p.s.

I don't know about you, but after a few hours in Hershey I don't hear the tin cans.

• Like 1

I mean... it could  be worse

image.png.e1a68fe33d8739009da45d2e55630ee2.png

My brother in law had a lil Yorki-Poo named Lucky Luciano that would pull him everywhere in his wheelchair. He was an amazing dog that never barked but folks would see coming and clear the way out of humorous respect. Never met anyone that didn't love that dog. Fearless even toward Pits or Dobermans... (and Cacti ;))

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was walking the flea market at Hershey on Thursday, at a somewhat slow pace, when a few guys in front of me stopped. I turned left to walk around them when a man on a golf cart hit me, literally ran into me. I wasn't injured, but certainly momentarily shocked. I stared at him, and he had the audacity to say to me "you got in my way". I said "excuse me?" I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that the conversation became heated. He continually tried to blame me for the collision, stating over and over "you walked in front of my cart" (never mind that his cart was behind me) and I repeatedly reminded him that "you ran into ME". Eventually I walked away.

This was not the first time that a motorized cart has hit me at Hershey. A few years ago, one ran over my foot. Steve, while I acknowledge that there are those with a genuine need for such devices, I see too many people riding them and hopping off, walking in a way that certainly suggests there is no handicap. It has become a real problem, mainly based on 1. the speed at which they drive; and 2. the utter lack of courtesy which is shown for pedestrians. I would strongly suggest that a speed limit needs to be imposed on those on carts. I only see this becoming more and more of a problem as the years go on.

• Like 1

The other side of the coin, feel sorry for those guys riding around in their carts.  The real way  you find treasures and make new friends is to step into spaces and really LOOK, and ask questions, and meet people.  I saw a lot of guys just riding around talking to their buddy, not even looking, just riding down the row so they could tell people later “I was there”… One can do that at home on one’s porch, I feel sorry for those guys, saying they went to Hershey but not really experiencing it…

Anyone who walks to my space, I say hi and what kind of cars are you interested in?  Amazing the replies and the friends you make.

I appreciate the Hershey region and all they do, but bicycles and scooters and others…they’re out of control….

• Like 2

Apparently a guy got ran down at the show. Two golf cart ambulances and a real one along with Police on site. As well as several security ppl/golf carts. Look like an older guy. He was on the ground not moving. Word on the street is a guy on a golf cart hit him, when through a vendor site and hit two cars. Don't know what actually happened, just rumors. But we saw the police interviewing a people. Spent a lot of time with one guy, I assume to be the lazy golf cart guy running people down. 

I tell ya, someone hits me with a golf cart, they will get pulled off of it. No one is going to run me down and get no consequences. I will also call the police and file charges. Foot peds have the right away and this show is designed for foot peds. Foot and registered mobility scooters should be the only public vehicles. 

Meanwhile, they keep announcing that golf carts, bicycles, scooters (unregistered), etc aren't allowed. But security drives right by them doing nothing. Security at the entrances do nothing. I see some liability issues coming hard and fast if they don't start controlling it. A person in our group was on a mobility scooter and we registered it. No one looked or asked if it was registered. 

A show official lady in a gas golf cart come flying in and almost ran over my buddies feet, hit the curb, when up on it and left a black mark on it. I'm like wtf, this is a show official driving crazy. We were sitting on the curb eating lunch when crazy Mable came at us. 

Something that was really bad this year was people driving around the swap meet in their vehicles. A guy in a GM stake body ran around all day in several fields that I saw. Truck was empty. I believe he was shopping from the truck?? If it wasn't golf carts, it was vehicles trying to run you down. 

Earl

• Thanks 1

What is needed are dayglo orange 'site venue only' carts that are governed at 2 mph; they being the only ones allowed on the Hershey grounds.   User-owned carts can be parked at the gate, with none allowed inside, and traded for a top-speed governed 'official Hershey grounds cart' for use on the site.   

Craig

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

The golf karts were noticeably quieter this year.  Maybe less?

Surprised no one noticed that HERCO vulcanized over the asphalt…😎

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 1:20 PM, mopar_earl said:

My vote is to only allow golf carts for officials and only allow single and double seat mobility scooters for those that need them.

As I understand, technically those are the rules but as we all know, they are abused and ignored thus creating this discussion topic.  

Some people just are more impotent than the rest of us.  :)

We will never solve this issue to everyone's satisfaction.  In an ideal world we could control the use of motorized equipment to those who really, really need one.  I did have a need this year beyond the fact that I have duties all week but I hate using it.  I did almost hit someone this year as one of us was distracted and I am not sure if it was me at fault or not.  The fact is, the use of mobility devices is governed by a consent decree with the State of Pennsylvania after a complaint was filed with the state.  We simply have no choice but to follow what the consent decree stated. 

That being said, there are obvious abuses to the use of banned devices and "security" needs to do a better job of advising those folks that they are breaking the rules.  

• Like 1

The entitled who don't require but instead desire the use of motorized equipment are aware they are breaking the rules but apparently don't care.  

As my friend was informed, only 1 and 2 passenger mobility scooters and golf carts are allowed FOR THOSE WITH HANDICAP PERMITS.  

I watched many motorized vehicles pass me through out the week and never could figure out which ones were 'approved' other than some had a smallish clear plastic pouch on the front.  Not sure if those were being used by the Hershey AACA Region or if that represented approved handicapped use.  

A good start would be to start weeding out the 4 and 6 passenger golf carts, bikes, electric bikes, hover boards, Segways, etc. that dominate the swap meet.