Pontiac Straight 8

Reade

Reade- The VIN is located on a tag on the left front door post. Matching serial number is located on a raised pad on the front left side of the cylinder block. If you're working on a restoration project, the Early Times Chapter(ETC) of the Pontiac Oakland Club International(POCI) is a great resource. Good luck with your project- Dave

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, straight8pontiac said:

Matching serial number is located on a raised pad on the front left side of the cylinder block.

Umm- maybe but maybe not.  Buick did not match engine serial numbers to chassis numbers in this era.  You may be looking for a list of serial numbers for a particular model year, it could be that is the best you can do.  That said POCI is your best source of info.

Edited by Str8-8-Dave
add text (see edit history)

Thanks for all the pointers, found numbers on head, doesn’t match vin tag, all good though. Some where to start looking and searching. Guess I should of payed attention to my dad, instead of drinking beer and chasing girls as a teenager, the car is a 36 Pontiac 3 window coupe with a rumble seat and straight 8, he built it early 60’s. it ran up till early 2000’s. it will run again....

If this is a 36, I don't believe the engine serial number is supposed to match the car. I don't believe it is on the head either. It is probably on the left front of the block somewhere. The car serial number is on an aluminum tag on top of the frame near the steering box.