FOR SALE `65 AM-FM radio

1965rivgs

FOR SALE `65 AM-FM radio (I also have correct `63 and `64 versions)

Please send a PM if interested,

$275 plus shipping

I do not bench test these radios anymore and sell them as needing to be rebuilt. Nearly 100% of the radios which bench test well do not perform to minimum standards when installed in a moving vehicle and played for an extended period of time due to signal fading and fluctuating volume . The radios are now well over 50 years young and need restoration.

The case has the "typical for the midwest" surface rust on the top but otherwise appears as though it`s led an easy life and is very clean. All the fins on the side of the case are straight indicating the radio has been handled properly. The model number sticker is still affixed to the case and is correct for `65.

The face is excellent with the exception of some pitting on the am-fm selector bar. The buttons are nice and align with each other well. The am fm selector bar operates the dial face as designed although it feels a little "loose" which I assume would be addressed in the rebuilding process. The buttons move the dial pointer but are sluggish, probably due to needing cleaning and lubrication, again, a typical matter for refurbishing.

There appears to be inconsitencies on the face and between the fins of the case in the pictures but those irregularities are simply dust. I only noticed this after uploading the pics to the ad. Aside from cleaning the am fm selector bar and the dial lens, I did not do any cleaning of the radio.

The knobs are original and correct for `65 and in excellent condition with zero pitting or corrosion. This is an excellent candidate for restoration which are getting hard to find.

Thanks,

Tom

65 am fm 1.jpg

65 am fm 2.jpg

65 am fm 3.jpg

65 am fm 4.jpg

65 am fm 5.jpg

65 am fm 6.jpg

65 am fm 7.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Nearly 100% of the radios which bench test well do not perform to minimum standards when installed in a moving vehicle and played for an extended period of time due to signal fading and fluctuating volume .

I have to agree on bench testing and a moving vehicle are 2 different things. I spent considerable time restoring my 1963 AM/FM Buick Delco radio which is not as refined as this one. A simple capacitor refresh brought it back to  life. But, I couldn't stop there and had to improve on it by adding a mono amp and 3.5mm jack for auxiliary input. The mods allowed for a modern 4 ohm 3-way 6X9  between the rear seats. A big improvement considering the one speaker.

Well, much to my dismay, FM drops-out while driving over bumps! Bench testing did not detect that problem. Sure I can troubleshoot the FM but I have it off while driving anyways and AM is rock solid when moving.

Still, this is a nice option to have in an original 1st Generation Riviera.

When working on these radios, a schematic is a must! I acquired a SAMs Photo Fact Book from Steve in Syracuse NY:

https://antiqueradioschematics.org/

There's also a place in nearby Utica that's willing to repair these old Delcos. Most places will only do conversions, many being irreversible.

There are many radio shops that will do a stock rebuild or add features

I prefer to sell the radios as needing to be rebuilt as opposed to selling a radio as "bench tested" OK and then having someone become discouraged when the performance is not up to expectations upon installation.

Tom

• Like 1