For Sale: 1937 Buick Special 2dr Sedan - $13,500 - Greenfield OH - Not Mine

For Sale: 1937 Buick Special 2dr Sedan - $13,500 - Greenfield OH

1937 Buick - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale (craigslist.org)

1937 Buick Special Model 48 2 Door Touring Sedan. Unmolested mostly original.  3 Speed Manual Floor Shift Transmission.  New Battery. Straight 8 Cylinder, 248 OHC Dynaflash Engine.  Independent Front Suspension.  Very nice Interior.  Very Clean Top to Bottom.  She is not a perfect 84 year old, could use some cosmetic work and upgrades as desired.  Car is currently registered, licensed, insured and driven occasionally.
Runs Great and very much an “Attention Getter” as it draws much attention at shows, parades or on the road.
Has been stored in a heated garage since I have owned and bought from previous owner who stored it inside his house.   Please note that stated mileage will increase as I occasionally drive it during clear weather.
Very Rare to find in this shape and price.  Clean Ohio Title.  Asking Price is $13,500. Cash. Local Pick Up.  Please, Serious Inquiries Only. For more information please call Nine-3-Seven-7-Six-3-One-Nine-1-Zero. Preferably Between the Hours of 09:00 AM- 09:00 PM.  Thanks for looking.

Copy and paste in your email:   7b99d877cb6c3a5585db436de2bb3415@sale.craigslist.org
I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1937 Buick Special 2dr Sedan.

'37 Buick Special OH a.jpg

'37 Buick Special OH b.jpg

'37 Buick Special OH c.jpg

'37 Buick Special OH d.jpg

'37 Buick Special OH e.jpg

'37 Buick Special OH f.jpg

'37 Buick Special OH g.jpg

'37 Buick Special OH h.jpg

• Like 5

Steering wheel is from a later car-early '50's, maybe?

Somebody went wild with the green paint. A lot of stuff that should be black isn't.

First photo looks all blue, second photo looks like a darker blue on the fenders and green on the body, another looks like blue door jambs and green body.

A nice car otherwise, and a desirable body style.

• Like 1

Looks like a very nice driver for a very fair price.  I agree that it's hard to tell the color from the photos, but I'm pretty sure that it's all one color.  I would definitely want to take a look at this car if I were in the market.  Plus, you know if you had any questions about this particular model, @Gary W could immediately answer them!

• Like 1

I have a '41 Super, which has the same engine and drive train as the Special.  The standard rear end on the Special and Super is 4.4:1, but my car has the optional 3.9:1 rear end.  My car handles the freeway just fine.  It's very comfortable at 55 or 60, and I sometimes creep up to 65 without even noticing.  I've heard that the cars equipped with the 4.4 rear end are quite busy at those speeds and that it's not comfortable to drive them on the freeway, but I have no personal experience.  Maybe someone with a 4.4 equipped car can chime in here and answer this question.  (I don't know if the 3.9 rear end was an option in '37.)

I don't like making a habit of driving any old car on the highway because people don't take into consideration they don't stop like a modern car. Back in 1975 I did drive my 37 Buick from Maine home on the NY Toll road all they way across NY, Pa and a little bit of Ohio at 55-60 mph (legal speed at the time) and it wasn't even until mid 90's I did anything to the engine and that was a valve job. Course I was younger, the car was new to me  and nobody ever told me the car couldn't do it. Any old car is more pleasant to enjoy on secondary roads.

Edited by 1937-44 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

There was a recent post of an owner of a '40 Super driving this car from Baltimore to Charlotte without any issues. I do a little freeway driving with my '40 Super and I found that having the carb recently rebuilt has made all of the difference in the world regarding power, but I do not push it past 55 as my car has the 4.4 rear end. I find that helpful as living in Asheville, there is no such thing as a flat surface (always a hill to climb). 

• Like 1

In our 1937 Special sedan, (untill our accident with the car 2 1/2 weeks ago) we routinely could drive interstates at 55 comfortably ALL DAY. Unfortunalely most roads are set up at 65mph in PA. Route 70 south of us in MD is 70 mph. 55 is a very pleasent top speed. 

The car definately wants to go faster but I tried to always try to keep below 60 mph. 35 to 40 mph on country roads is even more pleasent. That is until a 2020 Lincoln accelerates into you from a stop sign!!531968175_20210801_185455(1).jpg.dd39f839f08f1d784a96feeed5107892.jpg

My '38 Special was good for 60-65 all day. It sounded busy at 50, then smoothed out at 60. The previous owner had done a lot of relatively high-speed driving in it, so either the motor had that sweet spot before, or all the highway driving created it. It depends on the history and condition of the car. I limited my driving to 55-60 for safety.

Driving any 84-year-old car at 70 MPH in traffic seems to me to be problematic, though, just like the drivers of 4WD's who insist on going the speed limit regardless of weather or road conditions. Going fast is one thing; stopping safely in an emergency situation is another. 

• Like 1

I had a '39 Buick special and a 40 Buick super and would maintain speeds of 55 - 65mph. Though I tried to keep them at 55 and below occasionally they'd eek up to 61-62mph.  This is model 48 2 door sedan and not a model 41 and the price of $13,500 is fair but not bargain in my book.  For a model 41 this would be a good deal.

Edited by deac (see edit history)