7 weeks until Hershey!

pkhammer

Looking at the calendar today I realized a mere 7 weeks separates us from present until Hershey week! Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones! Time to start thinking about what to take! Time to get things cleaned up, priced and loaded in the trailer. Time to start thinking about everything else that goes into a memorable week in PA!

I'm not liking what I'm hearing on the news about new COVID cases lately. What implications could this possibly have for the meet in October? Is it going to keep people away? Will there be protocols for attendees to follow? I don't want to get any rumors started or ignite a debate based on speculation. Maybe Steve or someone behind the scenes can tell us what to expect.

The deadline was August 15 (postmarked)

for registering a car for the big show. (It has been extended until the 23rd due to the lateness of the magazine coming out...email tomorrow from national-SLM) I look

forward to the green lawn and a fine 70-degree

day--and to seeing a wide variety of good cars!

• Like 1

As far as HERSHEY being on the horizon --- HALLELUJAH  !!!!

What to expect ??? (we all need to scratch our chins now...) --- it is looking more and more that there will be zero (0) to very few --- foreign customers due to travel restrictions --- and they constitute  truly 50 % of my overall sales....

HERSHEY Is still "Heaven on Earth", so it is still something to get excited about, no matter what....

Before HERSHEY,  I still have Macungie, Pa., Mahwah, N.J., Englishtown, 

N.J., and Fall Carlisle,  Pa..... HERSHEY is still 5 shows away.....

Edited by mobileparts (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, old car fan said:

Pk,where do you vend.

I set up with friends that have spaces in the North Chocolate field, C4Y 1-4. I get to smell Bricker's French Fries being made all day long as they are right across from us. I could use a cup full now as a matter of fact!

Edited by pkhammer (see edit history)
  • Like 1

"Given the current Covid-19 conditions it is necessary to CANCEL our Homecoming Tour for the health and safety of all involved"!    I hate to bring bad news but the Oakland Pontiac Worldwide  tour Aug 25-28 was cancelled on the 13th.  Cross your fingers for Hershey.  The daily Covid briefings do not look encouraging  

Edited by Robert G. Smits
correction (see edit history)

No one is contemplating any cancellations at this point.  We are watching carefully how things are doing but others are having as large or larger events still.  We hope to put on a safe and wonderful event this fall.  The club proved it could do it with the cooperation of its members with our two events in Gettysburg last fall.  We are not burying our heads in the sand but we are not giving up and planning for all of you to be here this year.  Looking forward to it!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

If we go, it will be with our vaccination cards and a supply of masks.   While we feel fairly safe be vaccinated and wearing masks, we're aware

that vaccines are only 94% effective and people who have not been vacccinated are a bigger threat to us and others if we become carriers.  No political commentary intended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I spoke with a gentleman from Ontario, Canada today about his prospects for attending Hershey. Ontario has to be one of the top 5 car, and truck crazy places in North America. During a typical Hershey week, folks from Ontario constitute about 1/3 of my customers.

As of today, my friend thinks his impediment to coming to Hershey is our Country keeping the border closed. He also admits his Country is sending out confusing signals.

We agreed that the whole situation is fluid and we are keeping our fingers crossed that Canadians can attend. These guys, and gals, are barely across the river from Detroit. Open the gate and they will be here.

We have friends in the UK who are also in a wait-and-see mode. I heard from them a couple of days ago however and they are going to the Beaulieu Autojumble, which is going to happen this season. There may be less participation from Europe this time, but at least it'll still happen.  Hershey- See you there at GCC 5,6 with brass stuff, great automobilia (real antique stuff) and a good assortment of antique spark plugs for collectors. Right across from the crab cake vendor in front of Giant Center.  

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

If we go, it will be with our vaccination cards and a supply of masks

Fortunately the older we  are the higher percentage of us are vaccinated.  Regarding masks the N95 or KN95 are more effective IF you can find them.  Hope to see you at Hershey

• Like 1

For my self, 58 th Year in a row, as I was there last year and met friends.

One of my camping buddies who is 99 will be at Hershey and only 5 months after Hershey he will be 100 !!!

Working on his 1960 Triumph car, it is likely done by Hershey.

I look for forward to it every year !!!!

• Like 2

Hopefully the hardworking Hershey Region and National members proceed with all intentions that the show is a go, leaving cancellation decisions to Herco or more likely the state of PA.  As election cycles are not as far in the future, and public sentiment is a bit different than last year, hopefully more weight is put on those decisions that impact local economies as well as our desire to get back out there.  No reason really, to approach it any other way this year.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Hopefully the hardworking Hershey Region and National members proceed with all intentions that the show is a go, leaving cancellation decisions to Herco or more likely the state of PA.  As election cycles are not as far in the future, and public sentiment is a bit different than last year, hopefully more weight is put on those decisions that impact local economies as well as our desire to get back out there.  No reason really, to approach it any other way this year.  

Steve, I think you are forgetting a year ago at this time there were no vaccinations.

40 minutes ago, John348 said:

Steve, I think you are forgetting a year ago at this time there were no vaccinations.

I totally get that John, and fully understand last year's decision.  My only point being, as an AACA member, I hope the club doesn't make any preliminary decisions. 

More options, getting vaccinated, masking, or staying home exist now vs. the only sensible approach in 2020.  

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I was at spring Carlisle and was perfectly comfortable in that outdoor setting and that was before I got vaccinated. I set a few rules for myself then and will do the same at Hershey. This is what I  do:

-Maintain a bit of distance between myself and others. Give others some space and don't crowd anyone. When that is not possible mask up.

-No hand shaking. Fist bumping ok.

-Keep hand sanitizer and/or disinfectant wipes handy (easily stored in a tote bag) at all times. Wash hands regularly whenever possible and most definitely before eating.

-Never ever rub/wipe my face or eyes with my bare hands or fingers.

As much as I'd hate to miss the show I will also stay home if I feel the slightest bit ill. I will not take a chance of spreading any germs to others.

I feel confident that we can all go and enjoy the swap meet and car show without fear of this stupid virus just by using a little caution and common sense.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, greenie said:

I spoke with a gentleman from Ontario, Canada today about his prospects for attending Hershey. Ontario has to be one of the top 5 car, and truck crazy places in North America. During a typical Hershey week, folks from Ontario constitute about 1/3 of my customers.

As of today, my friend thinks his impediment to coming to Hershey is our Country keeping the border closed. He also admits his Country is sending out confusing signals.

We agreed that the whole situation is fluid and we are keeping our fingers crossed that Canadians can attend. These guys, and gals, are barely across the river from Detroit. Open the gate and they will be here.

As I am from Ontario Canada, it does not look good for us to be able to attend Hershey, The border not being open for us to drive across for vacations is the biggest of the hurdles plus all the proof of vaccinations, and then the difference as to what is approved between the countries affects our ability to cross also. We just had our first Model T tour this past weekend and the topic did come up about everyone's thoughts about Hershey, there was probably 15 people there that attend regularly and most people did not believe they would be attending this year, with the border being the main obstacle.

I am excited and plan to attend Hershey. am i concerned, sure, but i plan to be smart :) we usually don't go out to restaurants and places like that, we cook at the camper and stay to ourselves. don't plan on getting too intimate with anyone at anytime out there 😛 

And honestly, i believe everyone should do what they feel comfortable doing. Go out, stay in, etc... just be smart !! 

• Like 1

Hey, I am going to have Fun at HERSHEY fully and absolutely...

Any beautiful woman that wants to get within 6 feet of me, to kiss me,

That's fine -- I have two (2) cheeks....

And any guy that wants to get within 6 feet of me, to kiss me,

That's fine -- I have two (2) more cheeks !!!

Seriously, let's just have fun, talk cars, and I have some AWESOME NEW

And N.O.S. parts --- G M, Ford, Chrysler, Trucks, & Others....

Red Field --- R C C 74 - 76....

If Chocolate World is Open, I will have some HERSHEY  Kisses 💋 on my

counter for you..... with 💘 Love, Craig......

• Like 2