1936 Dodge Rear Shock Question

jpage

I've replaced the original rear shock link rods with new ones that I made that are an exact copy of the original, but seem to have an issue. There is no way that I can get the shock arm to get anywhere close to hook up the link or even to line up properly. The frame is bare right now. Does it require the body weight to push the frame down far enough for the rod to meet the shock arm? The bare body doesn't seem to be near heavy enough to push the frame down far enough. The shocks only mount one way, and with the bare frame, the arm, when pushed down the whole way, just  meets tip of the rod at an odd angle. Seems like this would put a lot of stress on the rod and the shock arm. I see on the lower shock rod mounting plate, that mounts under the spring, has a dipped recess to accommodate the rubber bushings on the link rod. I'm pretty sure that this "dipped' part faces downward in it's correct mounting, but I'm not certain anymore! I would appreciate any help. I think Plymouth had a similar set up. In the first photo, if you look real close, you can just see the top of the link rod, near the bend in the brake hose, and the left shock arm. The second pic better shows the mounting of the right rear shock.

IMG17.JPG

IMG19.JPG

KBC here from Aust. Bit hard to see the shocks in the photo, but the bodies appear to be similar to my 1930 DC Dodge 8. You say the body only fits one way, what happens if you change the bodies from one side to the other, is this possible, that might do something. second guess would be the link arms need to be flipped over. Do the link arms fit to the spring behind or in front of the axle, as mine mount to the spring plate in front of the axle. I have no real answers for your problem, but have just thrown in a few ideas for you to look at. I know with mine I had to spend a lot of time getting the arm in the correct spline  position, as I had not marked them when pulling them to pieces, and then leaving them for several years unassembled in a box.

Looking further  at your photo, just an observation, I would have thought the concave in the eye of the arm would be pointing down so that the bush would fit snuggley into the recess, and nut would fit on the high side of the ressess, which might add some weight to my idea  that the shocks need to be swapped side to side.

I'll keep a keen eye out for a more positive answer

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. The shocks can only mount one way. The link rods are in front of the rear axle and are only about 11 in. long.  The shock arms are integral with the bodies and cannot be repositioned. There are 2 bushings, a top and a bottom, on each end with the nuts at the ends of each rod. This allows for some flex in the system. The photos are mostly worthless unless one is familiar with the setup but these are all I had.

Hi Jim

I went out to have a look at the rear shock link arrangement on our coupe and I can see where it is difficult to reassemble. My links have never been taken apart and are bent a bit towards the back at the top - probably due to rough use. Were your originals bent? There is a nut, cup washer, rubber bushing, shock arm, rubber bushing and cup washer held by a raised collar at the top of the rod and the same in reverse order at the spring plate.  It appears that things don't line up very well and the shock arm needs to be pulled down as far as it will go.  

I have NOS replacement links which are straight but am concerned about the bends in the originals and the appearance that they are not well aligned. 

Sorry I haven't had them apart to be able to share my success or lack of it.  Just a thought - would it be necessary to unbolt the rear end from the springs to hook up the links and then reattach the rear end?  Seems like a lot of work but maybe it would allow you to manipulate things easier.

Do you have new bushings for the shock links? Mine are shot and I need to get some if you can recommend a source. 

Good luck!

Jim H

The rods should be straight not bent. Being bent is an indication that something wasn't right. I can't make the rods any longer, they'd only get bent for lack of travel. Looks like I'm going to have to mount the body and see if that helps. It was hooked up before I took it apart, so it should go back together again, theoretically speaking. Thanks for the comments!

Edited by jpage (see edit history)