Distributor Cam Question

Billy J

Have an American Bosch distributor on a 1925 Essex and an Auto-lite distributor for ( not known  ? ) . Both distributors are for 6 cylinder motors with mount and drive identical. The Bosch cam is a much larger diameter than the Auto-Lite and has very rounded lobes ( not worn ). The Auto-Lite distributor has a smaller diameter cam but with sharp lobes ( looks standard to me ). The dwell space on both cams appear to be the same width.  The main difference I see is the points would be open longer on the Bosch distributor ?  Since the Auto-Lite will fit exactly the same as the Bosch should the motor run as well with it ?  Is there a chance it could harm the motor ?  Reason for question is I have a damaged distributor cap on the Bosch but it runs. The Bosch distributor cap appears unavailable. The only source that listed one was Hagens in Washington and they have closed ?  I have can get parts for the Auto-Lite distributor fairly easily.

Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill

Different design approach but both should work equally as well. Differences to look out for will be in timing and advance curve. A good man with a distributor machine should be able to modify the unknown to have the same curve as the old one, or you could just cowboy it and hope for the best.

Might be easier to ask after a good Bosch distributor cap tho. All you need to find is one good one and it will last for many years.

I assume your American Bosch distributor is a model T-6200 and your Auto-Lite distributor may be a IB-4001 or a IBA-4001.

Essex used American Bosch equipment from 1922 to 1926. American Bosch distributor T-6200 was used from 1923 until mid 1926.

Sometime in 1926 Essex started to use Auto-Lite equipment. Auto-Lite distributor IB-4001 was used from mid 1926 until 1927 and 1927-28 Essex Super Six's used Auto-Lite distributor IBA-4001 or IGB-4014. So the 1926 Essex either used a AMB T-6200 or Auto-Lite IB-4001 distributor.

I guess Auto-Lite took over American Bosch around 1925 because early Auto-Lite distributors (IB and IBA) and distributor caps look very similar to American Bosch designs. Auto-Lite continued to use the AMB contact arm and gave it an AL part number. So one and the same contact arm has an American Bosch AND an Auto-Lite part number. But only the points are interchangable on T-6200 and IB-4001, cap and rotor are not. American Bosch obviously disappeared as an ignition equipment supplier for cars by 1927. 

To make a long story short, I can supply you with perfomance data for both your distributors so you can compare and I suggest you can either use a AMB or AL distributor without a problem. 

Regarding NOS American Bosch distributor caps contact Tom VanMeeteren (Old buicks 2). I'm sure he has some in stock. If not, get back to me.

Edited by Peter R. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Peter R.

My brother owns this 1925 Essex and just passed. Trying to get car running for family. The Auto-Lite distributor has id  IGB-4014  9H. I don't know if brother ever tried to use it in the 25 Essex. If you have any kind of data on the Bosch T6200 and the Auto-Lite  IGB-4014  9H I would appreciate.  The Auto-Lite appears better designed to me as it has a more modern style condenser and rotor. I would prefer to use it if possible. 

Peter R.

Thankyou very much. The Auto-Lite IGB-4001 was used on the 1926 Essex and shows a dwell of 37.5. The IB-4014 shows  36.0. Close, but not the same. By visual checking with calipers they appeared the same. If I knew the 25 & 27 motors had the same internals, I might try the 4014 but to be safe I will stick with original Bosch. If you do find the data on the Bosch, I would appreciate it.

Thank you again for supplying this data.

Bill

17 hours ago, Billy J said:

If you do find the data on the Bosch, I would appreciate it.

Bill, I'll go through my American Bosch master catalog tonight.

Here are some pictures of a 1927-28 Essex Auto-Lite IBA-4001 distributor in comparison with a AMB distributor.

Peter

A.jpg

B.jpg

Peter R.

Thank you again. The AMB distributor on this 1925 car is a little bit different from the 1927 picture. I assume changes were made during production depending on supply.

I will add these pictures and sheets to my Essex distributor documents.

Very much appreciated.

Bill,

I found some more info about Essex in the AMB catalog. It says 16 deg, automatic advance on T-6200....but at what rpm?

Further I found AMB distributor service instructions. They describe AMB distributors and how they are being adjusted.

I will gladly scan pdf's for you and send them to you by email if you wish. Send me a PM with your email address.

Peter 

a.JPG

b.JPG

c.JPG