Frustrating WA State Registration & Licensing Requirements

Mark Shaw

I just need to vent and warn others of the challenging requirements to register collector vehicles in WA State.

I purchased a project car in 2001 with only a bill of sale.  I just finished the restoration and conversion to a 1915 speedster.  First I went to the DMV and was told I had to get it inspected.  I had to wait almost 3 months to get an appt. to get it inspected by the WA State Patrol.  Then, I went back to the DMV and was told I needed a DOR (Compliance Dealer Declaration) or Declaration of Value at time of first use.  (See Below)

This is a new requirement.  Basically, they want to know the current value to establish the collectable sales tax after restoration.  This is a new WA State Law: Chapter 82.12 RCW passed in 2021.  It's just another hoop to jump through to get collector cars registered and licensed.  Even after I provide this document, the DOL will only provide me with a three year registration without a title.  So, I must then wait three years to apply for a valid title.  Since I have already waited the three years for my registered 1912 Buick title, I asked for that title and was told the 1912 four digit frame number (VIN number) showed in their records as a horse trailer and could not be titled.  So, I wonder how they registered it???

I am just about ready to throw up my hands and use license plates from my other cars instead of jumping through more hoops with WA State.  And, when I do sell a collector car, it will be with just a bill of sale.

DOR.jpg.533bc3d5f057581f1256422f2c6a1cc3.jpg

Edited by Mark Shaw
Update... (see edit history)

Follow up....

Persistence pays.  Since I could not reach the seller to get her signature, I called the WA State Dept. of Revenue at 11AM.  The recording said the office was closed due to COVID, but said I could leave a message that would be answered within one hour.  At 4:15 PM, I got a call back and I explained my situation regarding my 100+ year old vehicle registration attempts.  The gentleman gave me his email address to send my docs and said he would establish value by referencing his database and call me back.  I also advised him that I personally restored the vehicle and paid sales tax on all the materials needed for the restoration.  He called back and provided me with the required document indicating that the value was what was on the original bill of sale + just over $100 in admin.   fees.  I took all the documents to the DOL and got my registration and plate this morning. 

Happy Day! 

The bottom line is that there is more than one way to get it done if you don't trust the clerks at the DMV or DOL.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Mark,

I appreciate your post. I live in WA state and am restoring a 1941 Chevrolet woody. I will be in the same spot when I need to get a title registered. Very scary scenario. I may not title the car.