Value a BSA

STuTZ693

Can anyone suggest a good way to come up with a fair value for a British motorcycle?

I am planning on selling my 1968 BSA Lightning and I am having a hard time establishing a fair value.

The problem is that the bike is in very good mostly original stock condition but not a show bike and the previous owner had the engine rebuilt.

I see asking prices on BSA's for sale now all over the place.

Here is a link to a short walk around video.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/G8f3AensMpA1ZL9D6

I am located in the central Ohio area.

Thank you to all,

Dan

Mecum Auctions has a motorcycle only auction every year, I think you can look up past auction results from their website. There might be some BSA motorcycles listed and it would show the sold price. Also try Sports Car Market magazine website. They compile the results of all auctions. This would give you an idea of value instead of just seeing asking prices and not knowing what the bike sold for.

2 hours ago, STuTZ693 said:

Would it be reasonable to compare the BSA Lightning an Triumph Bonneville

While it may be reasonable to compare these two for other things (performance, handling, etc.) price may be a different matter.  There seem to be more Triumphs around and more sold.  But it's often said that rarer does not mean more valuable.  If there's a bigger market for the Triumphs, they may sell for more.  (Probably not a whole lot, though.)  You need to find the die-hard BSA guy who really needs your bike.

I think you may be overthinking this.  Google 1968 BSA sales and Hagerty's (based on auction results) says "Concours" condition is around $15000.  Your bike looks really nice but is probably not in this category. (It would help your sale to have video of it running.)

Excellent is listed as around $12000.  So throw an ad out there at 12 or 13 thousand and see who nibbles.  Be prepared to come down if you're in a hurry to sell.  If you're worried about undervaluing it, run the ad at $15,000.  It's not going to sell until you place that ad, no matter how many opinions you get here.

Thanks PFindlay.  You are correct that I need to get it out there on the market.  Even though I do not ride it, I sure like looking at it!!!!!!  It is a nice honest BSA that start and runs well which maybe close to the excellent category.  I will make a cold start and running video.

Dan